Ryanair Flights & Entering Passport Information

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Ryanair Flights & Entering Passport Information

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:07 am

We have booked two return flights from the UK in September and I was checking to see where I enter the Passport Information before we fly and I can't find anywhere to enter it :? We have never flown with Ryanair before. I have found out that it can be entered whilst checking in online but as we have cases to check in at the airport surely we will have to enter this beforehand online? I have always believed that online check in is for people with hand luggage only so they can check in at the airport quickly without going to a desk, is this correct?

wollie
Resident

Re: Ryanair Flights & Entering Passport Information

Postby wollie » Sat May 19, 2018 10:44 am

The check-in would not be open fr September yet, though i do not know for sure i think check-in longest time option is 30 days so this option will not open until this time.
I never have bought seats and this 30 day option is for people who do this. Just a few days ago Ryanair reduced the free check-in option from 4 days before the flight to 2 days.
It seems from what you say you have paid for cases so i expect this option will come up at the time,you will get an email prompt that the check-in is open.
Don't worry about it, all will be fine...

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 am

I agree. Checkin will not be available before 30 days of travel. You can make it easier by opening an account with Ryanair. Then when time comes, all you have to do is go to your account and then 'manage account - checkin'.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat May 19, 2018 11:53 am

Dunflittin68 wrote: I have found out that it can be entered whilst checking in online but as we have cases to check in at the airport surely we will have to enter this beforehand online? I have always believed that online check in is for people with hand luggage only so they can check in at the airport quickly without going to a desk, is this correct?
Even if you have luggage to check in, you can still check in online (and enter your passport details at that time). Most airlines have a bag drop desk alongside the normal check-in desks (but sometimes not, in which case you would just go to the normal check-in desk) where you show the boarding pass you will already have printed off and they tag your suitcase and send it through.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat May 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Yes, with Ryanair you enter api when you check in on line. You can do this whether you have hold bags or not.

I have read that Ryanair are reducing the days before flight that you can check in - unless of course you buy priority boarding.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:04 pm

My daughter said she purchased priority boarding to fly from Spain to the UK but when she got to the airport there wasn't any, just the normal queue! :shock:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat May 19, 2018 8:49 pm

I can't give a reason why because I don't have one, but I have never been asked for passport information, to my Knowledge except for the U S A !!

Is this a new requirement ?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat May 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Giving passport information is absolutely essential and must be submitted before you fly.
With EasyJet, you can input the information before you check in but with Ryanair, it can only be done when you check in.
I have bought flights to Ireland in July and just this week recieved an email from Ryanair telling me that check in can only be done from 48 hours before the flight, down from 4 day, although it is possible to pay to check in up to 60 days before the flight.
British Airways is only 24 hours.
Last edited by markwilding on Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 pm

It is called advance passenger information(APi) on most airline websites including adding your passport information.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat May 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Nope, never been asked for it, maybe I'm just lucky, or more likely, they "know who I am" :-)

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun May 20, 2018 5:42 am

How would they "know who you are" if you've never told them ?

Parilla

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun May 20, 2018 8:08 am

I suspect here that "mancherteral" has signed up to Ryanair/Easyjet. If we sign-up and key in our passport details it is there until our passport expires.
In printed out two Easyjet passes yesterday, all i needed do was sign-in and print same.
There is absolutely no way we can travel by air across Countries passport details, the same is printed on our boarding passes.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun May 20, 2018 8:57 am

you can not print your boarding pass or check in without entering API for all travellers.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am

You don't need API for internal flights but do for travelling back to the UK.

I have just flown Spain to Uk with Ryanair and there was a separate queue for priority passengers. I suppose it doesn't matter too much now as if you have priority then you get to take your case on board and it doesn't matter really where you are in the queue. My OH joined the back of priority but I of course decided I needed a last minute wee and there was a queue in there, so by the time I emerged the priorities had all gone through. It didn't make any difference and the overhead lockers were quite empty in places. I would always pay as it just so much quicker getting off and out at the other end. There was a huge amount of people around the carousels when we got there and we were out and bussed to the carhire centre within 10 minutes.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun May 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Parilla wrote:How would they "know who you are" if you've never told them ?

Parilla
Joke Parilla, ie "Don't you know who I am"

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun May 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Let me expand on my previous posts.

For many years my wife was in control of all our travel arrangements including the booking of all European and inter-continental flights. However for the last five years or so I have done this myself.

I travel often, back and forth to Gran Canaria, Mainland Spain, Nordic countries in Particular Sweden, I always book online and pay using a debit or credit card and do not recall ever entering my passport details during my booking process.

The only time I can imagine my identity being scrutinised is at the airport check in desk when one always needs to hand over ones passport, so how is this happening, ie how am I getting away with it ?

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:22 pm

markwilding wrote:Giving passport information is absolutely essential and must be submitted before you fly.
With EasyJet, you can input the information before you check in but with Ryanair, it can only be done when you check in.
I have bought flights to Ireland in July and just this week recieved an email from Ryanair telling me that check in can only be done from 48 hours before the flight, down from 4 day, although it is possible to pay to check in up to 60 days before the flight.
British Airways is only 24 hours.
I think it is quite a slim timeline to get your API in within a 48 hr window. I like to get this done weeks or even months before I fly to make sure I don't forget. I have such a lot of arrangements to make as I am the "admin manager" in our relationship and book car hire, sort out travel arrangements both ends, accommodation, flights etc. and then all the packing over the last 48 hrs leaves little time to input this info and remember to print off boarding passes etc. For example, we are flying with Primera from Spain to the UK and have already inputted the API ready onto their web site, plus we will be in the UK for 12 days and now I have the headache of finding somewhere to input these details on the net in the UK during our last couple of days stay and printing out the boarding cards, as if I don't have enough to do ! :roll:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Imagine having to input information for 25 then. It’s not ideal but that’s what I will have to do.
Remember, that this is a ploy to get people to pay for priority and early check in. You con do it 2 months before if you don’t mind paying extra.
Manchesteral wrote:
I travel often, back and forth to Gran Canaria, Mainland Spain, Nordic countries in Particular Sweden,

The only time I can imagine my identity being scrutinised is at the airport check in desk when one always needs to hand over ones passport, so how is this happening, ie how am I getting away with it ?
You definately need to do it travelling between Spain and the UK. Spain requires it and has done so for quite a few years now.

Currently, APIS data needs to be provided for customers travelling to or in transit to the following countries: USA, Canada, Mexico, China (except HKG), Japan, United Arab Emirates, Thailand, South Africa, Spain, Pakistan, Jamaica, Kenya, Algeria, Iran, Syria, Morocco.

Dunflittin68
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dunflittin68 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I have already paid for priority boarding but still haven't the option of inputting API information, does this mean that 2 months before I can input my info without paying anything extra ? As I said with Primera you can input your API info months before and you DON'T have to pay for priority boarding or anything extra to input the info and you do not have to check in online at all if you have cases from what I can see.

As you say Mark, it seems Ryanair do everything possible to force you to pay for extras before you can even do the legal thing and input your passport info :x

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 pm

"Check-in is not available at the moment. Early check-in will be available from 13th Jul 2018. Standard check-in will be available from 7th Sep 2018"
If i booked this flight today i would only have a two day window for free boarding.

Above info for original poster...
This is what i got when i had a look just now for a return trip, out journey on Sept 11.

What Manchesteral is saying is simply "total nonsense" every boarding pass for international flight has the passport number written on same.
Grand Canaria and internal i do not know if Passport Number on pass as i have never taken internal flight in Spain.
It may be everyone in Ryanair admin knows this persons Passport number but seems unlikely.