Ryanair Flights & Entering Passport Information

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Ryanair Flights & Entering Passport Information

Postby ajtg1952 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 am

With Ryanair part of you your Passport number is included on the boarding pass. They started this is 2016. It's in the yellow band on the top right and is preceded with a P, the first two numbers, a hypen, then the last four numbers. However this only appears on the paper copy on not on the mobile application.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 am

peteroldracer wrote:grandaughter & family due to fly tomorrow Leeds/Alicante. Every other airline seems to be finding a way round it, she has had to scramble around finding flights, emailing school & nursery, and had to set off at 4.30 this morning to Manchester, flight to Belfast, then another (4 hours later) to Alicante. Price difference (assuming Ryanair refund original tickets) around £400!
Yes similar amount for us to fly tomorrow with Primera Air. We could have had a free change with Ryanair but next available flight wasn't until Sunday. Apart from the fact we cannot stay away another 5 days, the extra cost of car hire and accommodation, food etc (plus I have run out of clothes!) would have been more. It's the first time ever that we've had a flight cancelled and looking at departures today online we were just unlucky as most flights are still going. Unfortunately I never use travel insurance so I just have to grin and bear the cost :evil:

BTW I also had to give API when booking with Primera Air as per usual and I have found the passport number on the Ryanair boarding pass ..... never noticed that before!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 pm

The last time I flew from Manchester via Barcelona to Gran Canaria, on New years eve 2017 I booked online WITHOUT entering my passport details.
On presenting myself at the check in desk they then requested my passport, the clerk then entered a few details in her computer, printed out the ticket and handed it over, could this be because my passport details are somehow already there, I have biometric passport !

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Manchesteral wrote: I booked online WITHOUT entering my passport details.
That is perfectly correct, as been stated before on this thread.
It is when you print out your boarding pass/ check in online that the passport information is required.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Not again! The french are forever striking! They must be the worlds best at doing so!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm

For the past few years ive mostly booked with Easyjet or Ryanair, prior to that it was Jet2 and Monarch..I have never been able to check in any flight until i have first supplied passport info....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

It is not necessary to give passport details when you buy the flight. Actually, some of my students don’t even have a passport when I buy the ticket, even though we insist they travel with one, not their DNIs if they are under 18.
We don’t need to have the number etc until 2 days before because with Ryanair we cannot do it until we checkin
With Easyjet you do it when you want.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Pamela1 wrote:Not again! The french are forever striking! They must be the worlds best at doing so!
It is so unfair as it has cost a lot of people a lot of money and probably ruined many holidays. From the departures info online most flights that are going are running a couple of hours late.

I gave Primera Air our API but actually we have to queue and check in as you cannot do it online. Something of a pain as we have to allow extra time for that and it's an early flight. I probably didn't need to do it as I have to go to a check in desk anyway.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Agree Wicksey, i know what its like to be on the end of a ruined holiday due to French traffic control strikes...It happened to us in June 2016, i was busy packing and ding ding a text message from Ryanair telling me our flight was cancelled!...It knocks your end in..instead of finishing the packing i had to start cancelling carhire etc..From what i read a few weeks back the strikes have had a big effect on KLM over the past years which i beleive Airfrance are now one in the same company..It was something about the strikes and the direct cost it has had on the company..

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 am

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 23, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm home in one bit but about 550 pounds lighter including the extra night in a hotel next to the airport thrown in. My fault for not taking holiday insurance and not paying for the flight with my credit card, although not read the small print of that to see if I'd be covered by a strike or not. From what I've read it's bringing Air France down as the strike days cost them 25m.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 23, 2018 10:11 pm

gerryh wrote:
Manchesteral wrote: I booked online WITHOUT entering my passport details.
That is perfectly correct, as been stated before on this thread.
It is when you print out your boarding pass/ check in online that the passport information is required.
Cheers
Gerry
That's precisely what I'm saying Gerry, looks to me like that is what happens, my whole point being that I've never needed to offer my passport details during the booking process, maybe some airlines request it and others don't :-)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 am

I thought if you were flying UK to Spain or to the UK and the French were on strike it would only make your flight time longer. The last time we were effected about 10 years ago the flight left Spain and went out over Portugal and bypassed French air space. Things may have changes obviously. I remember being delayed at the airport but no flights cancelled.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 24, 2018 9:59 am

We had read that the French ATC had asked all airlines that pass through their airspace to cancel 20% of their flights as otherwise they couldn't cope. We did see Easyjet flights cancelled too and many that were operating were 2-3 hours late. We were just unlucky that ours was one of those cancelled although even if we had flown, being later in the day, we may have had a long delay.

It looks like French AT control half the Channel and all the Bay of Biscay out level with the western side of Spain. I'm not sure if you're going from the south of the UK you could easily avoid it.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu May 24, 2018 10:25 am

10 years ago there was nowhere near the volume of traffic that there is now. The boundary of French Airspace is nominally 8' W but in places it is 10' W and the boundary where Portugal interferes is 15' W. As there is no radar cover in Oceanic Airspace the spacing between aircraft both in Altitude and Laterally has to be considerably increased therefore less capacity. In combination with French reduced capacity cancellations result.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Can you not request compensation directly from the airline if you are out of pocket?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Unfortunately not. As it was cancelled due to a strike which are 'extraordinary' circumstances we cannot claim under the EU261/2004 ruling.
It is not payable when:
"the cancellation is caused by extraordinary
circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all
reasonable measures had been taken by Ryanair, including
not limited to political instability, safety and security reasons, weather
disruption, labour disputes or failure or delay of air traffic control
facilities."

I should have taken insurance which I guess would have covered the extra cost.

I was offered to change flights free of charge with Ryanair but by the time I saw the email they were fully booked for the next week. I had to cancel and they are refunding the cost of the flight. As I booked it ages ago they cost less than 100€ so doesn't even cover the night at the hotel at Stansted, let alone the 430 pounds I paid for the new flight.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Dunflittin68 With Ryanair YOU HAVE TO CHECK IN ON LINE!

Check in no longer refers to checking hold baggage in, it refers to checking the passengers in and if you don't do it on-line at the appropriate time you will be charged mega bucks if you try and do it when dropping your bags.......

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... 1379164564

And you do have to enter ID document details (passport) when checking in for Spain at any rate.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 pm

I have never flown with Ryanair, my whole point throughout this discussion is that I have never been required to offer my passport details DURING THE ONLINE BOOKING PROCESS, My point has been backed up by several other posters here, NOT DURING THE ONLINE BOOKING PROCESS, I hope this is now clear !!

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 am

Dunflittin you said "I have always believed that online check in is for people with hand luggage only so they can check in at the airport quickly without going to a desk, is this correct?"

If you do not check in on line (and this is when your travel document details are required) you will have to pay a massive amount to check in at the airport. The excessive check in fee is to discourage people from waiting till they get to airport as it takes extra time to take all the details at that point.

Ryanair is as much about fast turnover as anything, hence the on line check in system. Once at airport all you have to do is drop your bags and head for the gate.

I hope this is clearer
Last edited by Floriana on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.