Temporary healthcare in UK

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Unicorn
Resident

Temporary healthcare in UK

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:27 pm

I have a card for health here in Spain but is is only because of fiscal residency. i know I cannot use it in other EC countries.

Apparently I need a piece of paper from Social Security here for the days I am in UK.

Does anyone know what I need to take with me to get that from them?

Cheers folks!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Temporary healthcare in UK

Postby El Cid » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:56 pm

You mean an EHIC card or the Spanish equivalent, which is called a TSI. If you work in Spain and pay social security it will be issued in Spain. If you are a UK pensioner with an S1 form entitling you to free healthcare, then you apply to the DWP in the UK.

If you are neither a worker or a pensioner I don't think you can get one (I am happy to be corrected on this point as everything keeps changing)..

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:16 pm

I was told that I can't use my card but I can get a piece of paper that covers me for when I am in UK. There is a maximum cover per year, some weeks, I think, so one has to work with the days one is away.
I don't qualify for the TSI.
I am neither a worker nor a pensioner but I'm defo covered by Spain courtesy the EU. (Well, for the moment.)

I shall take myself off the Social Security..............

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:41 am

Go to your local INSS office and request a tarjeta sanitaria europea (Not sure about TSI - this would be TSE, surely?). You probably need to make an appointment in advance.
Assuming your circumstances are the same as mine were - that is, not retirement age but not working or paying into the system either; I was classified as persona sin recursos económincos - i.e a pauper :wink: : I was only allowed up to 3 months per year - not necessarily consecutive. However, they wouldn't issue me one in advance, so if you're likely to need the full three months, don't go until as close to when you need it as possible - it will be dated from the date you go until whenever you want it - up to the max of 3 months.

I think I'm right in saying that if you're a UK pensioner, you are now entitled to free treatment on the NHS when in the UK, regardless of where you are currently resident. But, as Sid says, you'll be eligible for an EHIC issued by the UK anyway.

Why will you take yourself off the social security?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:43 pm

You do need to be registered on the Spanish system with an S1. Makes sense as they then have some paperwork to look up who you are.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:36 am

I'm not sure I understand why I wouldn't get the equivalent of the EHIC to use elsewhere in Europe. What do I do if travelling in other parts of Europe/UK and I fell ill? I am not a pensioner and I do not work here but I am on the NHS in Spain, and had to get a letter from the UK saying I am no longer covered there, so what if I needed to see a Dr whilst there on holiday?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:43 am

You are eligible for a ehic from Spain - you just won't get a plastic card, and you'll only get max. 3 months cover outside Spain per year. See my previous post

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks Miro but you seem to say it's only valid for up to 3 months at a time/max 3 months a year and needs an appointment at the INSS each time which would be a pain.

I wanted a card like I had in the UK as we need cover throughout the whole year as we now need to pop back to the UK more often. This year we're having 6 short breaks throughout the year, and although at the moment we tend to stay within Spain/Canaries/Balearics, it does include several UK trips and we plan to travel further afield within Europe in the future. I thought that the EHIC was something that all EU citizens were entitled to, but I am obviously wrong there.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:43 am

You are entitled to one - but with conditions, because you're not contributing to the Spanish (or any other) social security. Not all EU countries are as (generous/lax) as the UK; yes, it's a pain in the butt having to go to INSS each time, but that's the price of free healthcare.
If you want more for free, move to the UK!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Miro wrote: If you want more for free, move to the UK!
Jeez .... no thanks. I just thought it would be similar here that's all as I thought the reciprocal arrangement was throughout the EU. Obviously not!

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm in the same position as Wicksey, not a pensioner and not working but qualified under the fiscal resident before 2012 (I think)law, so I'll take myself off the SS and will report back.

Will take every document I possess (plus photcopies!) with me nach.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Still don't understand: why will you take yourself off the social security? If you do that, you surely won't get free healthcare anymore, in Spain or anywhere else?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Why would you think that? It’s worth going just to find out the situation. From my experience they could not be more helpful.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Unicorn said --- I'll take myself off the SS and will report back ----

I think he means he will go off TO the SS (ie INSS) and will let us know after his visit how he went on ...?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Ahhh.....! I must admit I was utterly confused by that statement (made twice); I read it to mean Unicorn was planning to de-register. Adding that one little word completely changes the meaning.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:05 am

Mea culpa! Yes, off to the SS.............

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:10 pm

My wife doesn’t have a permanent contract, which is renewed every year and she has worked for the health service for years. Even though she is Spanish, because of this she can only have a paper version, which expires after a few months.
On the other hand, I have no problem getting the card, having recently applied online for a new one receiving it last week