fishing

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
wollie
Resident

fishing

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am

Does anyone understand what's going on between UK/France.
I was watching news and it says France not fishing to conserve stocks.
The UK can fish, this not make any sense to me.
Surely the same rule applies across the board....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: fishing

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:15 am

The general rules are the same, but the French have a local ban on scallop fishing in the summer months. This does not apply to the British fisherman and, not surprisingly, the French are seriously p***ed off!

More info here

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nvironment

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 am

Sid thanks for article.
"a Scottish vessel belonging to a Canadian-owned company"
This comment has certainly decided which side i am taking, a North American factory boat v local fishermen...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:38 pm

It's wrong, the whole fishing regs need tearing up and starting again. The very same thing happens to Cornish fishermen with quotas where they are grounded in port and watch the spanish vessels fishing. Sure there will be lots of examples.

Has been happening for decades, some examples here.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 12871.html

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Over some years lots of fishing licenses were sold off by the UK fishermen to French & Spanish fishermen. What will happen when after Brex$hit when the UK fishermen will try to reclaim their territories? The cod wars will resume!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:54 pm

I think what may be happening here is "fishing quotes are being leased"
This be the same as renting anything you own for a period for some "dinero"
What i do not know is where the said catch needs to be landed?
I expect it supposed be landed in the home country of the owner of the quote but not know for sure.
It's likely not regulated as we all in EU...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm

On the other hand they were in international waters whatever the French rules are. Iceland and Norway take about 90% of catches in their water. The French can be very vicious and protective. There has been a few times when trucks coming from Spain with fruit and veg have been overturned. I am sure quotas can be leased, the same happens with farming subsidies in Spain and probably a lot of other countries. It is the system that is wrong, the EU CAP needs reforming or scrapping.

Mr Portus claimed, despite British fishermen respecting the 12 miles limit imposed on them when fishing in international waters, they were still victims of a violent attack by French fishermen throwing rocks at them.

On the other hand, Mr Portus explained that French fishing vessels have often been "welcomed" within six miles from the UK coast and said he would like this to continue post-Brexit.

He said: “We don’t go inside their 12 miles limit. That’s what’s the irony in this.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10102 ... allops-war

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:00 pm

I also remember the French overturning the trucks full of fruit and veg coming from Spain. The French like everything their own way and spit their dummies out big style to try and get it..

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:37 pm

So just think what they will do when trucks of non EU goods are coming through France to the channel ports to catch ferries to the UK! Farage on LBC radio said he expected them to be “ reasonable” !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:47 pm

I have never seen fruit and veg from France for sale in the UK. Maybe they have priced themselves out if the Nice markets are an indicator. Plenty of cheeses and I buy a herb infused olive oil from provence. Perhaps they will use airfreight more although a lot of produce is now from Morocco, seems to get through. Imagine Paco Alverez who sends 12 tucks from Andalucia each week to UK. he won't want his trucks wrecking or his fruit rotting. The wholesalers in uk only pay on delivery.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Does anyone else recall people avoiding French apples in the Supermarket or local green grocers? I guess it would be more noticeable in local areas or small towns where people knew oneanother. I can remember quite a number of shoppers chatting at the fruit section and verbally showing their avoidance of anything French.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Don't remember but recall the French apples, they were green and tasteless and called golden delicious. Are they still around?