Calling an ambulance.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Calling an ambulance.

Postby Lyric » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Following an accident, I think falling off a ladder, an ambulance was required in the Campo up a fairly major track.
The caller was asked to turn on "Roaming Mobile Data" as "that is how we locate you now"

Not sure what that means, but if it means what I think it means then I expect 'Location' would need to be turned on too (I normally have it off).
How does the team think this works ?
I believe thee is an application for calling an ambulance, what is this called in Play Store ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Calling an ambulance.

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:42 pm

There are several but try 'SOS Emergency App'.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Just having a look at an iphone 6 with a UK SIM and it has a built in facility “ Emergency SOS “ which calls if you manage to tap the off button rapidly five times. Presumably if you are roaming it will call the local emergency services rather than, normally in this case, UK ones.

I will have a look at your app for my Spanish phone Beachcomber. You never know when you might need it. A few weeks back a group of us had a narrow escape when a farmer had finished demo’ing a new bit of kit and hadnt put the handbrake on his tractor.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm

What if you don't have a smart phone with internet access? I have wondered what we would do if we needed the bomberos as we don't have an address. Perhaps they use the same system using location on the phone but presumably you need the internet.

The CAB in Spain mention something similar here https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/a ... -location/

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:40 am

You could find out the co-ordinates of your property and give them in the event of an emergency but reading out a string of numbers accurately when your house is burning down or someone is lying on the floor (or even if your boat is sinking as in Tony Hancock's Radio Ham) may be somewhat taxing.