Wish you were here?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:52 pm

jpinks...Tis very true...and also
"British money"
was well spent on Spanish bargains....now although products are still sold at a more reasonable price than in England, they are no longer the bargains they used to be...but compared to British equivalent still good value for money.
History shows us that Spain has not always been a "poor" country, and Britain has not always been "rich"...what was once ruled the waves can one day be ruled by the waves...due to global warming.
Spain is on the up, with some world top companies, produces fruit and veg for Europe, has the world best heart surgeon, world kidney transplant leader and many other values that most British have not the least idea....
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:07 pm

so tell me is cruzcampo an Irish beer?
Used to be owned by Guinness so I suppose it could have claimed to be Irish. Recently the company was purchased by the Heineken group (from Holland). So its not one thing or the other, a bit like you Silver. If you are going to colonise someone, take their beer off them first.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

wish you were here?

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Spain may well have the worlds best heart surgeon, but some of there hospital practices leave a lot to be desired.
Especially Malaga's Universidad AandE department, who seem to think it's perfectly normal to perform keyhole surgery on patients who still have their coats on and without any pain relief or anesthetic, other than two burly medical staff pinning you down by the shoulders, ummmm nice!!!
Such a forward thinking country!!!
Lorraine

Re: wish you were here?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:40 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Spain may well have the worlds best heart surgeon, but some of there hospital practices leave a lot to be desired.
Especially Malaga's Universidad AandE department, who seem to think it's perfectly normal to perform keyhole surgery on patients who still have their coats on and without any pain relief or anesthetic, other than two burly medical staff pinning you down by the shoulders, ummmm nice!!!
Such a forward thinking country!!!
Lorraine
Lorraine, no offence intended but in the light of your several complaints and obvious disappointment with this the Spanish mainland, may I ask why on earth do you stay?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:49 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Especially Malaga's Universidad AandE department, who seem to think it's perfectly normal to perform keyhole surgery on patients who still have their coats on and without any pain relief or anesthetic, other than two burly medical staff pinning you down by the shoulders, ummmm nice!!!
I'd prefer the short sharp pain of keyhole surgery to the lingering hangover of a general anasthetic thanks. Local anasthetics don't seem to work on me - even the dentist has given up the supposed numbing injections.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

wish you were here?

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:06 pm

If you HAD read my posts you'd know exactly why I'm still here!!!

And a general anesthetic, is standard procedure in a civilized society for an op 90Min's long OP where a Biro sized camera and a pair of surgical scissors are jammed through either side of your leg behind your knee cap!!!

I do apologies for my negative views , I mistakenly thought this was a general forum to discuss all the pro's and cons of living here!!!

Lorraine

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:10 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:If you HAD read my posts you'd know exactly why I'm still here!!!

And a general anesthetic, is standard procedure in a civilized society for an op 90Min's long OP where a Biro sized camera and a pair of surgical scissors are jammed through either side of your leg behind your knee cap!!!

I do apologies for my negative views , I mistakenly thought this was a general forum to discuss all the pro's and cons of living here!!!

There's no need to lose it, old girl, am I to assume it's because you can't sell your house for the price you want?

Lorraine

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:37 pm

jpinks wrote:Why do you single out the Brits? There are lots of Germans, Finns, Swedes, Russians, Argentinians, Dutch, French, Bulgarians, Belgians, etc, etc, that I personally know - all who have bought proeprty in Andalucia. So stop trying to tell us that the Spanish property boom was paid for by UK money.
We're 40% of the market

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:43 pm

The Spanish have the highest percentage of ownership of houses in the whole of Europe. When the Spanish began to move to the coast for work, they still owned their fincas in the campo. Cheap flats were built which they bought not at a lower price but the interest rate was cut by the (a scheme made available by the Government) banks to allow them to purchase these flats. So that many Spanish not only own one but own two properties very often they own three.

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:06 pm

frank wrote: And so did the majority of Brits that have bought in Spain. The UK afforded them an excellent standard of living, along with good wages which funded their purchases in Spain. But are they grateful? Not a bit of it! Just content to sit and slag it off.
Exactly. I find it rather amusing that the same people in a few years will be complaining about Spain not being the same as it was and they may well go to the grave not realising that their problem was within.
frank wrote: the ones that have my sympathy however, are the average Spaniards, that get a poor living wage, and have very little hope of affording a property of their own. I'm no property expert, but to me, property in Spain seems hugely overpriced. I think it might end in tears for some.
I think you'd have to be an expert in economics rather than in property. There comes a point when people simply cannot spend any more and that point seems to have been reached with the high street experiencing a very rapid slowdown in spending. I feel for the young Spanish people who have worked and saved hard and bought in the past year because I think that they will have years of negative equity. However, the future should be bright for people who haven't bought yet as the Brits are far more likely to sell their holiday home before their UK property so there should be a few bargains around in a year or so.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 pm

citymike wrote:We're 40% of the market
*You* might be 40% of the "market" - whatever the "market" is - but you immediately betray the usual british arrogance in assuming that 40% is a majority.
Slainte,
JohnP.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:01 pm

frank wrote:the ones that have my sympathy however, are the average Spaniards, that get a poor living wage, and have very little hope of affording a property of their own. I'm no property expert, but to me, property in Spain seems hugely overpriced. I think it might end in tears for some.
I have yet to meet a Spaniard wo does not own property somewhere, even if it is just a share in a house with his/her siblings which has been left to them by parents. And they can't sell it quick enough to the incoming foreigners and then blow the money on a new car, and then complain about how many foreigners are living around them. There's just no pleasing some people, but at least they aren't arrogant and find it quite amusing when the contradiction is pointed out to them.
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:51 pm

They are just gypos Jonny, give them a home and they cant settle. Give em a camp fire and a guitar and they are happy.
In Britain we would have to pay for their campsites and they dont pay Council tax either!

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:56 am

jpinks wrote:
citymike wrote:We're 40% of the market
*You* might be 40% of the "market" - whatever the "market" is - but you immediately betray the usual british arrogance in assuming that 40% is a majority.
Jpinks, do you have a financial interest in the Spanish property market?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:16 am

Course he has! he's Mr Big! He makes a fortune on every deal.