Wish you were here?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:42 pm

Kevin, I'm sure you will pleased to know that rain is forecast for Malaga tomorrow!

We are holding our breath!

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:57 pm

kevin77 wrote:Dryest year of its history, 40% less rainfall than yearly average? Am I really making this up? Can anybody put a positive spin on it please? Thats not a cricketing term either.
It's no big deal. It has happened before, notably in 1995, when all the reservoirs were empty after a 7 year drought.

Then it rained, for 60 out of 90 days from December to March. That was when most of the Malaga Rondo got washed away. The following year it did almost the same.

Surprise, surprise, the reservoirs were full again and the orders for 3 desalination plants were all cancelled!

The reservoirs are now getting low but the underground aquifers are full. That is why they are now opening them up to augment the supply.

We are on an agricultural water supply from underground wells and there are no restrictions at all. We have all the water we could want. Our 180000 litre deposito was filled last week and we can have another fill next week if we want it.

If we have another two years of low rainfall then it could get more difficult but the one thing about the weather is that, over a period, it always averages out.

Sid

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Just what im saying - You have a great climate there! Months of drought followed by torrential downpours.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:10 pm

I will try to be a little more diplomatic in the future
Youve never said anything undiplomatic in your life, bicho - dont start now!

jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jenna m » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:34 pm

One of the things I would miss most if living in Spain full-time would be having a good library nearby - also what on earth do you all do for a bit of culture in your out of the way retreats?
I have a lovely out of the way retreat here but also great access to libraries, music, places to go as well......

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:41 am

When I woke up this morning ..you were on my mind...
Its rain .its pouring, the old man is snoring..
Kevin..there is more to Spain and England than the weather, no one in Spain needs, wants or are asking you to return, you love living in England..so whats the problem?
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:22 am

Whats up with you? Am I not allowed to post anything which shows the UK in good light. Even if its true? Another great day over here by the way - hope it stays that way for the Test match.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:01 pm

:D It poured with rain early this morning and the temp today is very comfortable - perfect for your walks Frank, I think you´ve chosen your dates well.

Kevin if you want to talk about the UK why not find a forum in the UK - this one is for ANDALUCIA. :P
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm

kevin 77 Been there..done it
There are 365 days in a year, you are entitled to some good ones.
Who are you trying to convince?
Am I not allowed to post anything which shows the UK in good light.
Am I not allowed to post anything which shows the Spain in better light.

jenna m
good library nearby
Internet provides much more than a bit of culture to offer, you can buy/swap books as well, or learn Spanish and use public libraries.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:15 pm

kevin77 wrote:Youve never said anything undiplomatic in your life, bicho - dont start now!
I'm not sure everyone would agree with you, kev, but thanks for the compliment anyway.

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:35 pm

kevin77 wrote:
Actually, everything cultivated is very green.
Yes, olive trees are nice arent they - just they get a bit boring after the first half million. Sorry, I forgot the palm trees on the Avenida.

Once again, I seem to hear opposition to my England is a green and pleasant land claim, but it is greener & it is more pleasant in summer than Southern Spain, thats my whole point.

I see Babby has got her head stuck in the sand again, well she calls it topsoil!

What is this story in el Mundo this morning all about ? Quote:

España sufre en 2005 el año meteorológico más seco de su historia, y los pronósticos indican que no habrá suficiente lluvia en los próximos meses como para llenar los embalses, según aseguró la semana pasada el Instituto Nacional de Meteorología.

En los 12 meses finalizados en agosto de este año, España registró casi un 40% menos precipitaciones que el promedio anual.

Dryest year of its history, 40% less rainfall than yearly average? Am I really making this up? Can anybody put a positive spin on it please? Thats not a cricketing term either.
Kevin, England may still be green (geographically) but it's no longer the pleasant land it used to be, "green and pleasant" was originally a quotation from "Jerusalem" check out the original lyrics if you want to be pedantic, the dark satanic mills are more prevalant now than ever.
If you are truly an anglophile (one who is proud of his country) then maybe you could explain where the pride is in "happy slapping", the worst level of secondary education in developed Europe, the binge drinking and excesses that follow, the drug abuse and the failure of the judiciary to contain it,worst of all the politicians who are happy to ride the political gravy train and give nothing back to the people, why should you be proud of the England cricket team, you didn't do anything to help them, it's a bunch of men being paid ridiculous sums of money to do what they enjoy.
Your nationalism astounds me, what astounds me more is that if you love your country so much and intend staying there why do you have such an interest in Spanish matters?

PS, my adopted country is Finland (a truly green AND pleasant land) although I was born in England, I'm still proud of my Englishness but sadly no longer of England!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:44 pm

What the hell has happy slapping got to do with the weather?
Can you stick to the topic?
As usual people are bringing in outside arguments to say that Britain is **** - I may agree with you on those points, but my main argument was that the climate in summer in England is better than in Southern Spain - which it is, I havent heard anything to persuade me otherwise. Do you call that nationalism?
Can you tell me why you think the climate is better there?

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:04 pm

kevin77 wrote:What the hell has happy slapping got to do with the weather?
Can you stick to the topic?
As usual people are bringing in outside arguments to say that Britain is **** - I may agree with you on those points, but my main argument was that the climate in summer in England is better than in Southern Spain - which it is, I havent heard anything to persuade me otherwise. Do you call that nationalism?
Can you tell me why you think the climate is better there?
Kevin, talking about sticking to the topic! you opened the door with your comments about football and cricket (in MY opinion) two of the most useless sports there are (are there any useful sports and if so in what way are they useful), what the hell do THEY have to do with the weather, personally, I don't like rain, I do like sunshine and bbqs and cold beer and I do like skiing and snow so I spend half my life in Finland and the other half in Spain.
I do visit England from time to time, because I'm obliged to, my son lives there (for the present) and I have an ailing mother and several good friends of many years standing, I visit twice a year for two weeks and believe me I can't wait to leave.
You might see me as a turncoat but the (great) Britain that I grew up in, in the fifties and sixties bears no resemblance to the Britain of today, If you're happy living in England/Britain I say good luck to you because that's your choice but we don't all feel the same, personally I will spend most of my time in Spain as of January next year, and I can't wait, live and let live I say and each to his own!

Ps, I understand you've had a bad time in Spain, you might try visiting Galicia in the N west the weather there can be very similar to Britain!

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:37 pm

You didnt answer the question about climate, Topper and you are just reinforcing my view.
You are going back to Spain in January? But not in August? I can guess why, I dont blame you - it is hot isnt it ?. Staying in the North of Europe for summer sounds like a good idea. I suspect many contributors to this forum would or do do the same.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:04 pm

PyttiPannu wrote:
the binge drinking and excesses that follow, the drug abuse and the failure of the judiciary to contain

Interestingly, at the moment I've been reading the following, "El Observatorio Europeo de Drogas y Toxicomanía ha certificado las tendencias alcistas en el consumo de droga en España. Proporcionalmente, es el país con más consumidores de cocaína de la Unión Europea y forma parte del trío de cabeza de consumidores de cannabis, junto a Reino Unido y Dinamarca" Also a letter in the national paper yesterday from someone living in Madrid complaining about the "botellones" and drug taking that go on in all the local parks by underage drinkers, with all the resulting mess, aggro etc. So whilst I would not want to defend the scumbags we have here nowadays, by no means do we have the monopoly, Spain leads the field when it comes to drugs, and can more than hold it´s own in the cities, when it comes to drinking. Time you cleaned those rose coloured glasses!

PS, my adopted country is Finland (a truly green AND pleasant land)

If it's so pleasant, why does Finland has one of the highest rates of suicide mortality in the world?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:42 pm

Now let´s see - why do so many people from the UK choose to fly from the UK to Spain for their holidays in August??? Take a trip down to your travel agents Kevin and tell them they´ve got it all wrong. You might have a danger of being carted off by the "men in white coats".
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:34 pm

Something to do with the school holidays? And they fly to the resorts on the coast for 2 weeks - not the same as Living the Dream 365 days a year.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Absolutely - and they are queuing up to buy places out here so that they can live their dream. Personally - I love it here in Spain :) I just wish that this forum would not use the category "resident" for people who obviously aren't :(
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:09 pm

I just wish that this forum would not use the category "resident" for people who obviously aren't
*beep* me! Another post about those illegal immigrants.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

wish you were here?

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:44 pm

Where are all these people who are queueing up to buy here.??????
Try telling that to the thousands of people trying to sell their properties, I bet they wouldn't be too quick to agree!!
Lorraine