Confused about Mediterranean winds

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:33 pm

That didn't work :( Anyway -- the squarebracket quote close-squarebracket tag is the one that starts a quote and add a / in front of the word quote and that ends the quote. If that makes any sense at all. E-mail me if you want more details - trying to give examples on here doesn't work.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:58 pm

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go next time I feel he need to quote anyone, provided I haven't forgotten how to by then.
Will pass, on the e-mail, my mummy always warned me never to give my number to strange men :D :D :D

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:10 pm

Lorraine - Mijas
calima/calina
Canarian people dislike the Spanish intently
Should be mainlanders not Spanish...cos they too are Spanish. Words can differ in different areas throughout all Spain.
calima/calina
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Lorraine - Mijas
just include a quote inside the other.
easy

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:29 pm

I would have to disagree with you there Silver, the Canarian people are not Spanish they are Canarian (descendants of the Guanche's) and would not thank you for Calling them Spanish.
In fact the feeling is so strong that in Lanzarote the local Cemetery has the words Spanish Hotel sprayed on it's sign post !!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:41 pm

Canarian people are not Spanish they are Canarian (descendants of the Guanche's)
So why do they have Spanish passports and are ruled by the Spanish goverment..they are as Spanish as Basques, Catalans and Andalucians.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:59 pm

The term guanche is generically applied to the natives of origin "Bereber" who inhabited the Canary islands before the Castilian conquest in 1496.
Traditionally it has been considered that the term guanche was the way in which the native ones of the island of Tenerife refered to themselves. Thus, the voice guanche would come from tamazight or to bereber, of the words "Wa n Chinet" and that would mean "(man) that is of Chinet" - Chinet = Island of Tenerife -, that is to say, tinerfeño.
With the passage of time this gentilicio would become general for all the native settlers of the Canary islands, although the inhabitants of the rest of the islands had own names, not existing no term that talked about all the set, except for the one of magicians or mauros
Got this from wikipedia, which explain quite well.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Would someone from Gibraltar not have a British passport even though they are Gibraltarian ???
I know little on this subject so I will stand corrected if I am wrong!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:57 pm

Lorraine - Mijas
Would someone from Gibraltar not have a British passport even though they are Gibraltarian ???
That is a good question for debate...as the multinational roots of Gibraltains are many, and English do not have the same rights there.
However the Canary Islands have been Spanish for over 400 years and only very small % of descendants of the Guanche have survived (very few pure), most mixed and Spanish blood (also mixed over the centuries with other nations) is dominant. The dislike of penisulars (mainlanders) is more a political problem than anything else.
The term guanche is generically applied to the natives of origin "Bereber"
Africans...who arrived before the Spanish...so time shows that guanches are not canarians either. That is if one decides to think likewise.
Looking at America it is easier to understand.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:10 pm

try google: gibraltar citizenship... i found the 3rd entry from answers dot com interesting...

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Technically silver you are of course correct, the same as a Scots or Welsh person would always call themselves Scottish or Welsh and not British, the Canarians do not think of themselves as Spanish in any form other than by rule , they consider themselves Canarian and the true Canarians do dislike the Spanish or mainlanders including the migrant Spanish workers who are resident there!!
I for one do not care if they are called Spanish or Canarian but I do know from living amongst them that they did seem a much warmer, friendly and tacktile people than the Spanish that I have met.