WHY IS THE MED NOT TIDAL!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:50 pm

jpinks wrote:In the tupperware league, Moody's are not bad boats. They seem to be well-enough made and sail fast, if not entirely "hands-off", but nothing an auto-pilot won't cope with. I can't speak for accomodation, as none of it is ever big enough for me :(
The one I've got my eye on is just over 10 m long (LOA) so pretty easy for me to sail, as for accomodation, I only need a bunk and somewhere for my books, amazingly this vessel has 7 berths in three cabins, can't be very big can they?

MaggieMay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MaggieMay » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:56 pm

Plenty room for Olive :wink:
I wear it well...........

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm

Heh - certainly not big enough for me !!
There is a general tendency for this type of boat to carry a lot of beam well forward, and that makes them very roomy indeed for their length, but the shorter the waterline, the slower and more uncomfortable a boat is - of any type.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Grehan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: WHY IS THE MED NOT TIDAL!

Postby Grehan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:58 am

stantheman wrote: I'm thinking of looking at a second hand Moody 336 at a knock down price, any thoughts or experience of them??
Tupperware indeed! Methinks a timber boat snob lurks somewhere . . . Soon we'll be regurgitating that perennial stinkie vs raggie nonsense. No thanks. Nor, which blimmin' flag to fly, where, or how big should it be . . .
Ahem
Moodys
We looked at them when they were still being made, and we liked them (and Nauticats too, although outside our price league, and Halberg Rassys). I understand that, because Moody's went in and out of receivership a number of times over the years, the build quality ranges from 'very good' to 'Friday afternoon'.
You should pose the question on www.ybw.com/forums/ubbthreads.php - a really excellent online yottie community. :-) You'll be able to a search on Moody 336 too and see if anyone's mentioned them over the years.

Fair winds.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:37 am

Grehan wrote:I understand that, because Moody's went in and out of receivership a number of times over the years, the build quality ranges from 'very good' to 'Friday afternoon'.
Moodys have never been in receivership. I think you are confusing them with Westerleys who went bust at least twice.

Moodys are very well built boats, particularly the older ones. I have owned 3 Moodys, each one bought new. The 336 is a very good boat and sails very well.

Most of the Moodys were actually built by Marine Projects in Plymouth who also build the Princess range of powerboats. They also built the Sigma range of yachts.

Sid

Grehan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Grehan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:04 am

El Cid wrote: Moodys have never been in receivership. I think you are confusing them with Westerleys who went bust at least twice.Sid
Whoops, quite right. Mea Culpa. Sorry Moody etc. :-(

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:44 pm

El Cid wrote:
Grehan wrote:I understand that, because Moody's went in and out of receivership a number of times over the years, the build quality ranges from 'very good' to 'Friday afternoon'.
Moodys have never been in receivership. I think you are confusing them with Westerleys who went bust at least twice.

Moodys are very well built boats, particularly the older ones. I have owned 3 Moodys, each one bought new. The 336 is a very good boat and sails very well.

Most of the Moodys were actually built by Marine Projects in Plymouth, who also build the Princess range of powerboats. They also built the Sigma range of yachts.

Sid

This particular Moody was Designed by Bill Dixon and built by Marine projects, Plymouth in 93, Sloop rigged with a fin keel, they're asking £62500 vat paid for her, if I can find the owner I can probably get her for between £52000-55000, wish me luck!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:22 pm

stantheman wrote:This particular Moody was Designed by Bill Dixon and built by Marine projects, Plymouth in 93, Sloop rigged with a fin keel, they're asking £62500 vat paid for her, if I can find the owner I can probably get her for between £52000-55000, wish me luck!!
I wish you luck - they are really nice boats.

If you do buy it make sure that you join the Moody Owners Association http://www.moodyowners.org.uk/ it's a very active association and you will find plenty of 336 owners amongst them.

Sid

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks, I'll give you all an update, as soon as I get a result of course!

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:23 am

Just to show that Venice suffers from high tides
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/europe/4292374.stm

It should be borne in mind that tides are not the only reason for sea level changes. There is a strong effect from the wind in the Med, with prolonged southerly winds causing increased levels in the Adriatic and the Gulf of Lyon. the combination of wind and tide will cause the greatest level changes, which is [rpbably what Venice suffers from, as there are more southerly winds now that we suffer global warming.

The effect of wind on the tidal flow is something else again, and something all you jolly sailors will know about already. Try the Corryvreckan on a spring tide with westerly gale blowing!!!
Slainte,
JohnP.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:59 am

jpinks wrote:It should be borne in mind that tides are not the only reason for sea level changes.
I recall the 1953 North Sea Storm Surge that coincided with the very high Spring Tide resulting in serious floods in Holland and the East Coast of England. It also resulted (several years later) in the building of the Thames Flood Barrier and the raising of the embankment !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:56 am

Nige wrote:I recall the 1953 North Sea Storm Surge that coincided with the very high Spring Tide resulting in serious floods in Holland and the East Coast of England.
It's not just the wind, the atmospheric pressure has a marked effect too. High pressure reduces the tidal range and low pressure increases it.

That's why the storm surge was so abnormal because a storm tends to involve very low pressure.

In the Med, the problem of having such small tides is that the effects of the weather can make them difficult to predict as the weather effect is often is greater than the lunar effect.

As for the tidal streams, from my experience they are equally unpredictable. I have often experienced a significant current running in the opposite direction to that predicted!

Sid

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:40 am

I am not a meteorologist, more of a wet finger in the air bloke, but I always associate Storms with Low Pressure systems. Can you get a Storm Surge with a High Pressure (anticyclone) weather system ? Of course, "winds blow from high to low" as the saying goes, and this is how you achieve some of the strong Med winds. Hurricane Katrina was a very violent wind moving across the Gulf of Mexico and, as I understand it, pushing the water forwards in ever increasing waves. The actual normal sea height was raised by several feet because of this Storm. But I suppose that hurricanes hardly happen in Andalucia.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:36 am

Nige wrote: Can you get a Storm Surge with a High Pressure (anticyclone) weather system ?
Anticyclones are usually associated with fine weather so a storm surge situation would be unlikely, especially bearing in mind the effect of the high pressure keeping the tide down.

The only time you get strong winds associated with a high is when it is butting up against a low. A classic example of this is the Meltemi wind which blows almost constantly at force 6 or more in the Aegean sea from July until September.

This is caused by high pressure over the Aegean being squeezed up against the monsoon low over to the east.

Strangely enough, if a depression gets into the Aegean at this time the winds will drop as it breaks the high/low pattern.

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:39 am

The effect of atmospheric pressure is interesting indeed. Normal atmospheric pressure is around 30 inches of mercury. Given that mercury weighs 13.5gms/cc as opposed to water weighing 10gm/cc, that means the pressure is equivalent to about 405 inches of water - around 34ft. A severe storm might lower this to something like 28 inches of mercury - around 2 feet of water, so you would have a "static" rise of the sea level of about 2 feet. Add the effect of wind pushing the waves forward and thereby increasing the level ahead of the storm and you could end up with around a 3 feet increase, and that is without the tidal effect. The pressure in a hurricane drops much lower, and they have much stronger winds, so the effect is at least double.

High pressure systems do not produce storms - which are effectively whirlpools in the atmosphere - but they do produce much stronger winds because of the nature of the vertical airflow around them.
Slainte,
JohnP.

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Here in Southport the Distance between high & low tides are about a mile if the tides are about 9 oclock people visit the town and for the day and dont see the sea. Its about the same in Morcombe Bay thats why the Chinese cocklers got caught and drowned.

Leonardo

LEONARDO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LEONARDO » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:38 pm

i suppose i should have put shell fishermen although i dont see whats wrong with cocklers

Leonardo :roll:

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:44 pm

The horizontal distance the waters edge moves with the tide is a factor of the slope of the shoreline versus the tidal range, and will vary from place to place quite markedly, even in a small area.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:40 pm

El Cid wrote:

Most of the Moodys were actually built by Marine Projects in Plymouth who also build the Princess range of powerboats. They also built the Sigma range of yachts.

Sid
Did you notice that the Moody brand has been acquired by Hanse Yachts of Germany? Be interesting to see what they make of the company.

Has anyone experience of anchorages along the Andalucian coast? It doen't look like my type of sailing as it seems to consist mainly on marinas. I'm vaguely thinking of chartering for a couple of days if I can find somewhere decent to go.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:20 pm

Yes, I believe they have. It seems that they are still being distributed by Premier Yachts who bought out the company and the marina.

As for Andalucian anchorages, I can only speak for the Med bit and there are very few anchorages of note. The coast from Nerja to Motril has a few nice bays but you are always going to find it difficult to escape the prevailing east or west winds.

The best anchorage I know is past Cabo de Gata in the bay of Genoveses. Fabulous anchorage well sheltered from the west and load of shallow water for anchoring. I rode out a F9 gale there quite happily.

Sid