Spain to treat sick expats!

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
frank
Andalucia Guru

Spain to treat sick expats!

Postby frank » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:23 pm

Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spain to treat sick expats!

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:18 pm

That was certainly a very interesting article Frank.

I wonder why the German health authority were not asked to foot the bill and why she had to seek treatment in Switzerland and if it was or was not available in Spain or Germany.

Mike

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:31 pm

Cound not read the article but sounds like very good news.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:39 pm

No other country in Europe has had to cope with such a large influx in such a short time, placing a huge strain on public services.
The strain is made worse by the large number of tourists — 55 million each year.
just read the report..quite interesting.

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:51 pm

What it doesn't say is the huge fiscal benefit Spain has received with all the espats living here. Every £1000 of UK pension transfered to Spain and spent here on food and other living costs is exactly the same as a Spanish company exporting £1000 of good overseas. Compare that with every £1000 of state pension they have to pay to their own retired population straight out of current tax.

I also thought they could claim the health costs back from the persons EU nationality country??

I read somewhere that within 12 years countries wil be competing with each other to attract permanent overseas residents. They need to ramp up the health system for sure but the costs have to be balanced against the benefits. If all the expats left tomorrow the economy would collapse

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:44 pm

Sunkissed you are correct, Spain receives a fixed sum for every pensioner from another EC country they also pay for the care received under the E-111. This is something that the spanish authorities do not tell their citizens when they are complaining that foreigners are hogging state hospital beds. I posted about this recently on a spanish forum and I was called a liar!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:17 pm

sunkissed wrote:

If all the expats left tomorrow the economy would collapse
Thats an unbelievable statement.
Can you back it up and tell us the numbers involved re the population of Spain and number of expats living here.

Maybe you are only refering to Marbella.............

Mike

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:24 pm

In 2000, there were about 900,000 immigrants registered as living in Spain. Now there are 3.5 million.

It is an increase of almost 400%, and that number could be much higher.

Amnesty

Hundreds of thousands of Europeans and illegal immigrants living here do not register with the authorities. But it is the increase that is dramatic, not the actual number of foreigners living here.

Officially, immigrants now represent 8% of the country's population of nearly 44m people. That percentage is nothing out of the ordinary in the European Union.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:14 am

Every £1000 of UK pension transfered to Spain
Not all transfer to Spain.
and spent here on food and other living costs
Some of what they spend goes on Imported goods..
So Its NOT
EXACTLY the same as a Spanish company exporting £1000 of good overseas.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:19 am

If all the expats left tomorrow
If they leave as they found it.....

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:34 am

I may have exaggerated I tiinge about the economy collapse and some food is imported but nevertherless it cannot be denied that the economy has benefited hugely from the the influx of self sufficient people and resifentail tourism from other parts of Europe which must outway the health costs. A lot also use private medical insurance

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:49 am

it cannot be denied that the economy has benefited hugely
Too true... not and never denied this..just like to keep the balance right as many only see one side of things.. other things I would also point out are..the rent money for flats in spain thats recieved in england..the good brought over..the tax thats not payed by those who should..but thats enough.
I think if you look at things from a money point of view then Spain has gained a lot...but money aint everything :wink:

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:09 pm

""medical tourists"

oh dear that article was terrible. I hope to god the other EU states don't end up like that ;) what would make it even worse would be if the lady was from a non EU state like Africa or Asia.