Road Deaths

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Road Deaths

Postby katy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:04 am

40 people lost their lives on Spanish roads this weekend, seems a bit high doesn't it :(

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:21 am

Dreadful :(
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Road Deaths

Postby frank » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:14 pm

katy wrote:40 people lost their lives on Spanish roads this weekend, seems a bit high doesn't it :(
Probably not when you consider the way they drive. :(
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

luffes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby luffes » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:49 pm

We had, I believe a fatality at the bottom of our street on Saturday. (There was a hearse there, so I assume someone died).

They came off the main carretera too fast for the right angled turn they wanted to make. They rolled their 4x4 and it landed up through the full length window of the shop.

TC
Tourist

Postby TC » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Just returned from Benalmadena and the driving is woeful, felt like i was on a Grand Prix circuit everytime i got in the car. The driving around the 24 hour square area at night is bordering on criminal, mostly young lads showing off, needs to be sorted.
grass is always greener

accommodation-in-spain
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby accommodation-in-spain » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:39 pm

.... and why on earth do they insist on putting pelican/zebra crossing directly after a roundabout in Spain (well the Costa Luz region anyway). You go to accelerate after a roundabout so you don't get hit on the roundabout and then nearly knock some poor pedestrian over!

Kitesurfer.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kitesurfer. » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 pm

Zoe you really need to watch your driving, them crossings are just before roundabouts..... :lol:

KS.
When running out of fuel altitude and speed....never run out of ideas...
---------------------

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:52 pm

saw a dead body at the bottom of the road to the car boot sale in torrimilinos on sunday, a bmw driver was being questioned as i drove past.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 am

it´s amazing what people will try to sell at these car boot sales..........

fullmonty
Tourist

Postby fullmonty » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:06 am

I suspect the extra deaths were something to do with the wet roads.
.... and why on earth do they insist on putting pelican/zebra crossing directly after a roundabout in Spain (well the Costa Luz region anyway). You go to accelerate after a roundabout so you don't get hit on the roundabout and then nearly knock some poor pedestrian over!
Funny that, they do the same in Sheffield too (!!)

There seems to be an obsession with speed - and showing off. Not helped by Alonso winning the world championship and becoming a role model. Those tiny motorbikes they sell - legal for young kids, great idea if it teaches road sense, dreadful if all they learn is how to do wheelies at 45 kph at the age of ten.

But of course all road legislation in Spain is merely advisory.
I don?t do drugs. I get the same effect standing up really fast.

nikki
Tourist

road deaths

Postby nikki » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:34 pm

The accident in manilva last saturday with the 4 x 4 was not caused by the driver driving too fast . The 4 x 4 was actually hit by another car that was driving too fast and therefore the driver lost control of the 4 x 4 and ended up in a shop window. They were very very lucky to have escaped without serious injury and only wearing seatbelts prevented there own serious injury or deaths.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:32 pm

How many near misses have you seen caused by people not driving too fast, but too slowly?!! - The little 500cc cars (that you can drive on a moped licence apparently) are lethal on the roads. Large lorries having to overtake them last minute because they are doing 40km/h on a main road :roll: - Should be banned in my opinion or only be used on town roads.

There was a nasty accident in San Pedro a few weeks ago & the police pulled a woman over because she was so busy rubber necking that she hadn't seen them tailing her with their lights flashing trying to pass her. The bikes finally squeezed either side of her to get her attention & told her to pull over! - Lesson learned for being nosy & not paying attention I guess.