medical records for doctors

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
jantaz
Tourist

medical records for doctors

Postby jantaz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:34 am

Hi does anyone know about the type of copies we need to bring out with us for the doctors use in spain. I have got a copy of mine but it is very basic as I moved doctors a couple of years ago. It only states visits to doctors whwther it is because not all my records are on the computer and they are still on paper I was just wondereing if this will be enough. please help. Thanks.

petert74
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby petert74 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:47 pm

Just bring your file and get the important parts translated when your here.

All doctors will want to check you for themselves and start a spanish file.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 pm

You'll find that most UK GPs are now computerised, and your old paper files could well be missing the more recent information. Most UK GP systems can print out a summary of important information, major illnesses etc although it won't have every visit you've ever made listed.

If you've changed GPs during the last few years, it's likely that your old notes won't have been transferred onto the new computer system, so only recent information will be available on the computer. I know a Spanish GP working here in Leeds - I'll ask him what he thinks is best to do

Alison
AlisonB

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:09 pm

When I mentioned to my GP that I was thinking of moving to Spain and would I be able to have my medical record to take with me she told me it was the property of the NHS. She said that all she was allowed to let me have was a letter stating what my current health condition was and what medication I was on. She would be happy to let me have three months supply of tablets before leaving to give me time to get registered with a doctor in Spain. Don't know how easy registering with a doctor is going to be though as I probably won't be working and I am still a few years off pension age. I would be grateful for any advice.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:21 pm

Wouldn't your doctor in England be prepared to write a letter summarising medication for you which you could then have translated? My own doctor here doesn't have a file on me at all even though I have a serious long term problem and never writes anything down. I think they believe far more in patient responsibilty and I've always been given my own xrays and test results to look at long before the doctor even sees them. Be prepared to administer your own injections too!

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I had no problem bringing my medical records with me to Spain. I just asked my UK GP for a printout of my records and they were waiting for me the next day, at no cost. I believe that you are entitled to your own records and requests cannot be denied by law.

The list was 10 pages long and included the date, reason and details of every visit I'd made to the surgery in the 12 years I'd lived in Somerset, and dates of previous illnesses prior to that dating back 54 years! It also included the names of the doctors I had seen.

I took a photocopy of this list to my new GP in Spain and he wasn't interested in it at all. He just gave it back to me.

Still, it makes very interesting reading as I'd forgot some of my previous illnesses/medical problems and associated dates - you never know when you need this information.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:48 am

The following is an email from a Leeds GP who is fully up to date on the current legislation regarding what can and can't be done. You will see that you are entitled to your complete record, but it will probably cost

"The old paper continuation cards really are printed with "this record is the property of the secretary of state". This is where various confusions have arisen. I think that all this means is that, if for example you leave the country, you aren't entitled to take the only physical record with you - just as you wouldn't be allowed to remove selected tracks from my hard drive!

People have tried to unravel this by saying the paper belongs to the secretary of state, the ink to the GP and the meaning to the patient.

Freedom of Information Act specifically excludes personally identifiable data such as medical records.

Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are entitled to a copy of ALL the data about you held by GP. There is a fee payable for this - 10GBP if the data is only held on computer, reasonable (justifiable) cost of copying up to a maximum of 50GBP if data is held on paper too.

Practically, what I do is provide a printout of summary items and current medication (where this is already on computer) for free - this is often useful for patients who are moving within the UK as it can take several weeks for the new GP to get the full records. If a patient needs a copy of their full record to take abroad and they've got a lot on paper then I'd provide & charge under provision of the DPA."
AlisonB