Apartment living

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Apartment living

Postby jenna m » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 pm

As we are now not far off retirement age, we are giving some serious consideration to buying an apartment for coming and going to Andalucia.

What are the pros and cons as opposed to , for example, living in a pueblo house.

We have seen a ground floor apartment flat which we like (mostly Spanish owned, for holidays) - have any of you had experience of living on the ground floor?
Jenna m

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Personally, I couldn't live in an apartment here, they are just too noisy. I have stayed in ones where I could here the neighbour snoring through the wall. If you have one make sure its the top floor. A pueblo house sounds better but no experience.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:16 pm

My flat is in a block of 22 and the block itself is surprisingly quiet at night. My Spanish neighbours seem to be tucked up in bed by 11:30 pm.

Katy is right about the lack of soundproofing generally, plus the hard surfaces (tiled floors etc.) seem to exacerbate the sounds of your immediate neighbours.

Bear in mind that if your apartment block has a lift and you are on the ground floor, you will still have to pay your share of maintenance on the lift even if you don't use it.

Personally I wouldn't want to be on the ground floor because if you are higher up you get better security and hopefully a better view. We are on the 5th floor and I've noticed very few insect problems such as mossies.

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi!

We have lived in three ground floor apartments, in one at the moment ... all have been lovely apartments, we are renting until our house is completed. I chose ground floor as we have a child and cat. It is very noisy on the ground floor!! As has been said before I don't think sound proofing is a concept grasped here! The first apartment was our own 'holiday home' which was new ... the builder assured us it was well sound proofed! I don't think so!! Where ever you live I think you can expect a certain amount of noise from neighbours, that's life but ground floor living you can expect to hear more! A few 'noises' to elaborate

1. Clip clopping shoes .... even heavy footed people sound thunderous!
2. Scrapping chairs, tables etc
3. Sliding wardrobe doors AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
4 Flushing toilets ...... the waste pipes run down (obviously encased!) our bedroom wall it's like a water fall! Oh and when they have a shower ....... Oh yes, and you can tell if it male or female using the loo!
5. Children bouncing balls! Beam me up Scotty!!!!

Then we have 'Bonking Billy', goodness knows where he gets his stamina from .... we can hear everything from the first OOOOH to the last AAAAH even with ear pugs in and my head under the pillow! After 4 hours it's no joke ..... got to credit him .... he's got staying power!!

I am looking forward to moving into our house as we will have only 1 neighbour ..... could be the neighbour from Hell but at least we will have only one! If you can I would recommend top floor apartments we have friends who live on top floors and love it and as someone else said the views are good too! I am sure not all places are the same as we have experienced though so try and find out as much as you can about the places you are contemplating on living in.

Good luck and I hope you find a nice place!

Busymum.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:59 pm

:shock: DO NOT GO DOWN THIS ROAD.... you will hate it...and retirement 'aint meant to be like that :?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:07 pm

I believe you, the only way I would ever contemplate living in a Spanish block of flats would be in the penthouse. They are the noisiest race in the world, every move they make, every bodily function is there for all to hear!
No way, Jose! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:15 am

But the top floor of the block is always the hottest...heat rises etc...and you've probably got a concrete roof above storing the heat...so make sure its got aircon and lots of windows! 8) Have a nice summer!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:18 am

Buy yourself a nice country house in a village with a fantastic view from an upstairs terrace. BUT beware of the neighbours bantam chickens kicking off at 3.30am followed by the local version of the Hallelujia Chorus as per local dogs and mogs, followed by the local dove population trying to hum the latest Robbie Williams album. No I would not live on the ground floor of a block of flats!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:34 am

Keddy, I can relate to that, together with the sound of the early morning goat bells, can almost set my clock to it. I would go for the pueblo house in a quiet street, consider one that cars can't drive down. Think also of all the service/mainatainance fees you will save, which will only ever go up and you have little power over.
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:46 am

keddyboy wrote: BUT beware of the neighbours bantam chickens kicking off at 3.30am followed by the local version of the Hallelujia Chorus as per local dogs and mogs,
How come whenever I go to bed in UK, I never hear a dog, but it Spain, every bleeding dog in the valley seems to want to make itself heard. I can never work out how their owners tolerate the noise, how they can sleep through it! The joys of living in the campo!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:58 pm

I would go for the pueblo house in a quiet street, consider one that cars can't drive down
Also make sure that there isnt a footpath for the mopeds to scream past on! :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:18 pm

kevin77 wrote:
I would go for the pueblo house in a quiet street, consider one that cars can't drive down
Also make sure that there isnt a footpath for the mopeds to scream past on! :lol:
... and if there is make sure it isn't wide enough for the f***ing quad-bike brigade to use! Image

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:40 pm

:twisted: :evil: :? What is it with Quad Bikes? What are they for...are they for people with very small phallus's who are unable even to ride motos? We live miles from anywhere and they come past us wearing every conceivable protective garment know to World TT Racers, in convoy, eating dust, apparently enjoying themselves :( I must be missing something!

jenna m
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jenna m » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 am

Great..... but you all have given me some laughs today.
And now for Cave Houses as opposed to an Adosado?

It seems wise to explore EVERY option!
Jenna m

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:03 pm

How about a nice quiet village house, they do exist. Pick one in the hills, with steep narrow streets, to keep the bikes away.
Grouser

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:29 pm

Grouser,
They have not invented a space small enough to deter a spanish moped, scooter, motorbike or even a quad on two wheels to get through!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:49 pm

True enough keddyboy, however in our village the streets are narrow, steep and inhabited by some very assertive old ladies (I guess I should have mentioned that) and, apart from the odd foolish daredevil, any bikes that come in usually freewheel down and take another route up. The noisiest person who comes near our house is the fishman who has a very powerful voice to advertise his wares. I have lived in the middle of nowhere in England and except for the odd drunk and at fiesta time the village is equally quiet, honest.
Grouser

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:08 pm

A few winding steep steps puts off most adventurous bike riders, but don't mind the odd donkey or two.
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:32 am

I have two flats in Spain,one in a large city and another in a village and in both I have been lucky with my neighbours noise wise.
I think most problems concerning noise occur when you buy in a large block in a tourist area.As most Spanish just use these flats occasionally when they are on holiday they are inclined to be noisy and more so if there is a swimming pool on the complex.
I know that there are many reasons why people choose to buy a house rather than a flat one being not to pay community charges etc.,but even so I could never live in a house especially not surrounded by other houses as there are so many robberies with violence starting to occur in Spain and I feel that the problem is only just starting.
I have lived many years in a house in a country where violence against property is the norm and I felt like I was in a prison with bars on the windows,large dogs prowling the grounds and sleeping in fear of waking up to see someone in my bedroom.
I do know many Spanish who are now selling their houses to move into flats as they are starting to be afraid.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:02 pm

Choose wisely and you're ok. We are on the top floor (there is a large penthouse terrace above). Our lounge is on the other side of their lounge on one side and, yes you can hear scraping chairs and tables. However its used as a holiday apartment and they're only there 10 weeks a year. As for the other side i have once heard less than dulcet snoring but not a lot more. On lower floors i imagine you would hear a lot more.