Passport for Portugal?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Passport for Portugal?

Postby bakeke » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi,

When driving from Spain to Portugal, do you need your UK passport or are there no border controls like from France to Spain? If a passport is needed, would my spanish residency card be sufficient?

Many thanks,
Bakeke
Kelly

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 pm

The UK is not part of the Schengen agreement and as such you will need to produce your UK passport, regardless of where you are travelling from.
As a matter of interest beware of a company calling themselves "Visafirst" they purport to offer you a "Schengen visa" for a fee, no such legal document exists, they only send you a piece of paper stating the Schengen agreement.
If you are a member of the group of countries who have signed this agreement the you only need an official ID card with your photograph on it.

nigel_t
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Passport for Portugal?

Postby nigel_t » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:00 am

Having just returned from a trip to Portugal I found no sign of an border control at two seperate crossings. There was only just about a sign saying 'welcome to Portugal'!!

Where did you cross from France to Spain?

When I drove across there was a huge borser control 'station'!!
Wish I Was Horse Riding

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Papers

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:31 am

Heard from a Spanish friend the other day that it is a 'prisonable offence' not to have your 'papers' on you in Portugal, don't know how true this is.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:21 am

When driving in Spain aren't you supposed to carry your passport with you anyway. :?

Also every time we have crossed from France into Spain, and we have done so at both ends of the Pyrennes, we have driven through patrolled border crossings.