Illegal Builds

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Riverbed Frank
Tourist

Illegal Builds

Postby Riverbed Frank » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:06 am

[[[[SHOCKING]]]

Has anyone seen the article in link link below

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do
Don't knock until you've tried it.

julian
Andalucia Guru

illegal builds

Postby julian » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:59 am

another typical english newspaper "shock horror" story, what´s the betting that they don´t get bulldozed

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:04 am

Are there any places left in Spain that are free from corruption of one type or another?

In our local newspaper this week I read an article that the mayor of nearby Fines has been denounced for owning an illegal build and permitting others. The story goes that a local resident, whose property is over 100 years old, applied for a permit to carry out some renovation work on his cortijo. His application was turned down in spite of 50 illegal houses being built on rustic land. The mayor has openly admitted that these dwellings are illegal but stated that the town hall HAS to turn a blind eye as these are being built for local residents and not for property speculation. As to his own illegal property, an industrial building, he admitted it was on non-urban land, was not within the industrial estate and did not have the correct paperwork, but these matters were in hand etc. Yeh - right!
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: illegal builds

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:27 am

julian wrote:another typical english newspaper "shock horror" story, ...
Actually there was a similar report in El País:

El País article

julian
Andalucia Guru

illegal builds

Postby julian » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:25 pm

and do you think that they really will end up being bulldozed??? how many times have we read the same stories over the last 20 years...and how many houses have we seen bulldozed???

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:41 pm

It's interesting to see that they allow the purchasers to go through the whole procedure paying money to developers, lawyers, architects and, no doubt, various funcionaries at the Town Hall before they are told that their properties are illegal.

No doubt some entity will come up with some kind of 'legalisation tax' more easily recognised as the unofficial pension fund of the mayor, his corporation and all the other hangers-on who have their noses in the trough.

This is already happening in the area where I live. One municipality in the Guadalhorce is applying a legalisation tax of 110% of the estimated value of illegally built properties which means that anyone with an illegal building valued at, say, €100.000 will be paying a further €110.000 to have it legalised.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Are you sure it is the Ayuntamiento levying the fine and not the Junta?

When the new Ley de Suelo came in recently it gave the Junta powers to levy draconian fines for really serious breaches of the law and the fines went to them not the town hall.

Now doubt Sr Chaves has a nice new Mercedes now. :D

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:02 pm

why would you pay 110% fine on anything. surley you would be better letting the crooked bas++++ knock it down and moving on.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:35 pm

Definitely the Town Hall in the case that I have in mind because I have seen the paperwork. However it is a PSOE administered Town Hall so no doubt Sr Chaves is getting his cut. A few more old masters to hang on the wall of his palace in Sevilla, no doubt.

Going back to the original post, why were these people told it was OK to proceed with their purchase? Why did the Town Hall or Generalitat de Valencia not step in and halt the construction of these properties in the early stages? Surely the appearance of earth moving equipment, cement lorries, concrete blocks and piles of sand and cement must have given them a clue that something was about to happen.

The obvious answer is that we all know that Spain is riddled with institutionalised corruption at all levels of government, administration, judiciary, construction industry and in the legal 'profession' (I use the term loosely) and that it was going to be much more lucrative for them all to let the purchasers pay all their money before telling them that their properties were illegal.

Riverbed Frank
Tourist

Postby Riverbed Frank » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:10 pm

[quote="El Cid"]Are you sure it is the Ayuntamiento levying the fine and not the Junta?

From personel experience it is the Junta De Andalucia who dealing with the illegal builds now and are in the process of removing the powers from the local town councils and their officials.
Infact the Junta has just employed an extra 123 inspectors to carry out the task of inspecting these properties. Until they are trained the tasks are being carried out by the Junta De Andalucia Policia.
At this present time they are collecting information from residents and attacking the mayors and builders as a result, in the Albox area at least.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:31 pm

The Junta de Andalucía don't actually have a police force but these matters are being investigated by the Seprona branch of the Guardia Civil which reports directly to the Junta and as Riverbed Frank and Sid have both indicated it is they who are investigating the planning irregularities.

Having said that, I reiterate that the paperwork in respect of the property I referred to in a previous post came from the Town Hall not the Junta and it was the Town Hall who were imposing the fine.

Being a PSOE dominated Town Hall it is unlikely that the PSOE dominated Junta will strip powers from a Town Hall administered by its own party.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm sure you are right in this case.

No doubt the Junta will now find a way to fine them another 110%.
:roll:
Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 pm

Sid, I have sent you an email with part of the document from the Town Hall as an attachment.

Riverbed Frank
Tourist

Postby Riverbed Frank » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:27 am

Thanx for your comment Beachcomber, I can guarantee that in the Cantoria, Arboleas, Albox, Albanchez and Cantoria [Almanzora Valley] it is definately not the Guardia Civil but the Junta De Andalucia Policia and their main eyes on the ground are the PUMA.

And in this are at the moment the Junta De Andalucia Policia are gather evidence and statements from the unfortunate new owners to use against the builders and local councils.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:46 pm

I live in the same area as Riverbed Frank and our local papers state what he's confirmed. However, how true are the local papers? It also includes the Partaloa, Piedra Amarilla & Cerro Gordo areas.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:54 pm

I've never heard of PUMA. Is this an acronym? Do you know what it stands for?

Some municipalities have set up a Policía Urbanística but these are formed from the Policía Local so it could be 'Policía Urbanística del Municipio de Almanzora' but I am guessing. I would be interested to know.

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:35 pm

Curious that the Generalitat de Valencia (PP) have chosen to take action against the 1200 illegal dwellings in Catral (PSOE) and are supporting mayor of Orihuela (PP) in the next elections while he's being charged for corruption with more than 30.000 'illegal' builds under investigation. No doubt it's also with the local elections in mind that an area with mainly expats has been targetted rather than a Spanish urbanization.

It's not a question of illegal builds, they are everywhere, it's just local politics.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:39 pm

Exactly the same situation in Andalucía only in reverse!