SKYPE.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
mhic
Andalucia Guru

SKYPE.

Postby mhic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:28 pm

A call via SKYPE to a UK landline recently cost almost 2€ for 5.54 minutes, I've checked and that was way over the advertised Tariff. I checked back and found I have been overcharged several times and charged for calls I didn't made to numbers I don't know. From what I have read on the SKPE forum over charging is not un-common. I have e-mailed customer services a few times but have had no replies at all, and again it seems that being ignored is not un-common either.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Was it an 0870 or other such number? These are charged at a much higher rate. If you are in any doubt could you post the first four or five digits of the number that you were overcharged for.

In your call list was it shown as a UK number? If so what was the rate per minute and duration shown as?

Might it be possible for someone to guess your password from your username. It might be a good idea to change your username.

I have had Skype for over three years and have never had this problem.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:22 am

I use Skype to run a business from the "campo" and call the UK and Morocco daily..........I am amazed at how low the cost is.

That's not to say others may not have a problem.

I aways suggest that my "Clients" sign onto Skype [surprised at how many have not hear about it], and then it is of course free.

Convenience and cost was highlighted earlier this week when a family problem in the UK had my wife/myself on the phone for literally hours and hours.....Free!

Brilliant..............

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:22 am

Beachcomber.
It was just an ordinary London number 0208 and I really can't see anyone figuring out my password. What I find annoying is the lack of any sort of reply from SKYPE about this. In future I'll just use the computor to computor side of it and warn everyone I know who use's it to check their costs.
Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:39 am

In your call list what was shown as the rate per minute for this call? It should be €0,017. Was the duration of the call shown correctly?

Regarding your 'phantom' calls have you logged in with your Skype details on someone else's computer where your username and password could have been memorised then they could have logged in with your details subsequently?

If you post your problem in the Skype forum I am sure someone will try to help you get to the bottom of these problems. This is much more effective than emailing Skype.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Skype

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:59 am

detourer wrote: I aways suggest that my "Clients" sign onto Skype [surprised at how many have not hear about it], and then it is of course free.
Brilliant..............
How do we sign on for free?

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 pm

Just go into www.skype.com and it's easy to download the software required. I haven't used it as long as Beachcomber - just about 6 months - but I wouldn't be without it. I phone my sister in the UK most Sundays (she doesn't have Skype) and stay on for ages - my balance hardly moves. I also phone my daughter in Bahrain - who does have Skype - and we can chat all day for nothing. Brilliant. :lol:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:56 pm

I have to say that I have been using skype for over a year and apart from the sound quality early on I've been very happy with it but there are at least two calls where I believe I have been overcharged and some calls have been made I know nothing about.

I have posted about this on the skype forum and had similar answers to those I have had here.

Beach, have never used any computor but my own.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:16 pm

Sorry I can't help any further but it would be interesting to know if you were charged the wrong rate for the +44208 number or if the duration of the call was recorded wrongly or even if these two were correct but the total amount had been calculated incorrectly.

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:02 pm

I always use skype for UK landline callsand have found it so cheapI have not counted the cost acurately but I think it´s about 5pence for around 30 mins. The 08+++ numbers do seem to be very expensive though

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:58 pm

We have used Skype for the past year and have been more than happy with the service. Euro 10 credit seems to last forever.

gazalucy
Andalucia.com Amigo

free calls

Postby gazalucy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:40 am

HAVE YOU TRIED WWW.VOIPCHEAP.COM I HAVE BEEN TALKING TO MY WIFE ( THROUGH MY PC TO OUR LANDLINE IN ESPANA ) FREE FOR 3 MONTHS, NOT HAD A PROBLEM. I BOUGHT 10 EUROS OF CREDIT TO RING MOBILES, THIS LAST FOREVER AND IS FAR CHEAPER THAN SKYPE.
ONE LIFE-- LIVE IT

melandsharon

Postby melandsharon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:37 pm

i just down loaded that program ..... i rang UK totally free just like skype, but totally free
It does work