wood burning stove

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:46 pm

hi
we have an old traditional house that we renovated when it came to heating the house we took advice from a plummer who suggested central heating using gas/oil so we now have a very unsightly tank in the stable with the largest boiler i have ever seen, it is like a tardis, really and in the two years we have had it it has worked successfully on only a handful of occassions and the plummer is fed up with coming out to fix it and is now never at home!! how i wish we had spent 350euros instead of 3000 and got ourselves a wood burning stove.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:18 pm

A bit more than 300 Euros, sueb, but I understand where you are coming from.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:33 pm

A friend of ours have a wood burner and haven´t had to use it yet - they bought a few electric panel heaters (look like a slim radiator) - they cost 90 euros fitted and running cost is 5 cents per hour. Their house is lovely and warm and they don´t have the bother of going out in the cold to get the logs, the mess, the cleaning etc. It is worth considering. They are very much in demand at the moment and seem to be selling really well.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:45 pm

sueb wrote:hi
y and in the two years we have had it it has worked successfully on only a handful of occassions and the plummer is fed up with coming out to fix it and is now never at home!! how i wish we had spent 350euros instead of 3000 and got ourselves a wood burning stove.
Its unusual for the plumber to service a boiler in Spain, they are usually not qualified plus boiler should have been dealt with under warranty so the manufacturer arranges all of this.

from my own experience only technicos from the manufacturing company have ever come to sort out any problems and also to service it.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Babby wrote:...they bought a few electric panel heaters (look like a slim radiator) - they cost 90 euros fitted and running cost is 5 cents a minute. Their house is lovely and warm and they don´t have the bother of going out in the cold to get the logs, the mess, the cleaning etc. It is worth considering. They are very much in demand at the moment and seem to be selling really well.
That's what we're going for. A friend has just had them installed (special offer of buy five get one free) and he's just waiting for his electricity bill to confirm that it is about 5 cents per hour).
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:02 pm

No need to wait for elec bill, you can calculate it yourself. 500 watts an hour consumption. 1000 watts costs about 8 cents plus VAT.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:05 pm

I have heard they recommend keeping them plugged in 24 hours. So each radiator would cost 36 euros a month to run. The bigger size consumes 500 watts, there is a smaller size which consumes less. Not bad considering a lorry load of wood is between 200 and 300 euros a go.

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Babby wrote:No need to wait for elec bill...
They did their sums before purchasing them but they would still prefer to see it for themselves in black and white. They use off-peak electricity and the whole house is a joy to be in.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:39 pm

So easy to switch over to night rate electricity too - just go to Marpemac (there is one in Eroski centre in Antequera) and they will arrange for it to be done. Costs 9 euros I think for the admin. Night time elec is half price.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Saw these flat panel heaters advertised in Spain at 90€ and when I got back to UK found them in B&Q for £27 Each. Took 3 to Spain and they work a treat.

450 Watts per panel. They don't run constantly as they have thermostatic control that keeps cutting out the power once the panel reaches a certain temperature and cuts back in again as they cool down.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:36 pm

They are selling them in AKI Malaga and Mijas and

http://www.econoheat-spain.com/eng/shops.html

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:04 pm

toddcl wrote:Saw these flat panel heaters advertised in Spain at 90€ and when I got back to UK found them in B&Q for £27 Each. Took 3 to Spain and they work a treat.

450 Watts per panel. They don't run constantly as they have thermostatic control that keeps cutting out the power once the panel reaches a certain temperature and cuts back in again as they cool down.
Todd, they're alright for background heating but struggle when it's really cold. However, a new feature is a switch on the panel which is useful rather than relying on having to unplug the unit from the wall.

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 am

They were on sale at LeRoy Merlin for €70 last week. Fit them yourself.

If the ones in the UK have a thermostat then I suspect they are old stock as the later ones have only a switch and seem to stay on all the time from my checks with a power checker.
I wonder why they took out the stat? There is probably an over temperature protection device in them now plus the switch.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 am

I am very interested in these flat panel heaters. We have two bedrooms and a kitchen which have been built on the exterior of our rather huge cave house, which in the winter require some additional heating. We have two wood burners one in one end of the cave and the other at the other end of the cave which helps to heat the additional exterior bedrooms. Trouble is the bedrooms are a bit on the large side one is 30m2 and the other about 20m2. Do you think that 3 heaters, 1 in each bedroom and one in the connecting hallway would make a significant difference in the winter months? I would not envisage having to run them 24/7 for many months of the year, and given their reported running costs, they look as though they might just be what I am looking for. Gas heaters are a no no because of the cave and the condensation they create.

I did look on the B & Q website but could not find them, any idea where they would be listed? Tried the obvious.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

heat

Postby Julie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:24 am

The oil filled rads from Leroys or the local ferreterrias are cheap and cheap to run, they have a thermostat on so you can leave them set low and leave them on 24/7

robperrie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby robperrie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:23 pm

i am looking for them radiators,,as i run on solar, i am looking for the least powerful,,where near malaga do they sell them..also someone has said they were in B&Q,,i cant find them

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Your quite right about the flat panels not being on the B&Q web site.
However I dis find then in both our local and super store just before Christmas.

They do have on / off switches.

The guidance information says they are only for use in rooms that can be made secure, with doors / draft free. so we have used them in our TV lounge as it has a good fitting door and draft strip.

So they are not much use in hallways or open plan.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective