Foreign plated cars with no tax

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Know the type Dooby :roll:

Kenny

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:17 pm

katy said
OK. It was some years ago but considering the large number of UK cars we should have heard by now if someone had fallen foul of the insurers. Not one person has been on this forum to complain in the last 3 years.
That´s probably because most who drive UK plated cars don´t even bother to insure them!
Just to add, its easy to be legal if you are worried, get a relative to tax the car and there are plenty of places who will issue you with the UK test certificate
How can fraudulently obtaining a MOT Vehicle Test certificate be considered legal? :?

Generally, as many others have said here, it beggars belief that this discussion should come up ad finitum. Why do some folks seemingly spend all their time trying to evade taxing and registering the vehicle they choose to drive in Spain! I can only assume they did likewise when they lived in the UK. :(

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:57 pm

Just a thought, chaps! Just suppose that your nearest and dearest sets off back from the disco having picked up your sweet little children in your Brit-plated motor. She is driving carefully along the road, keeping well over to the right, when round the bend just ahead comes the local Fernando Alonso in his yellow Seat, overtaking a concrete mixer wagon......When the scream of brakes, screech of tortured metal and smell of smoke has quietened down so that the only sound is the drip, drip, drip of your OH's blood, and the soft crying of a child, the wagon driver is calling the Guardia Civil, who are on the scene in minutes (!?). They urgently need to contact you, as next of kin, so that you can authorise tricky operations and/or bid your final farewells as life ebbs away, BUT: they see the British plate, have to try and contact the DVLA (tricky at 1am) who eventually look up on the computer an address in Mylton Keynes that belonged to a long-dead auntie, the present residents being newly emigrant Poles who know nothing of you and your family.
There ARE reasons for the rules that exist - it is not all red tape and money-grabbing.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

spanish hopes
Resident

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:07 pm

There is a problem with your graphic scenario peter. Not that it could never happen, but "It could never happen to me". :shock: :shock:
Unfortunately so many people think just that. :cry:

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:10 pm

Thought it was law to carry all your documents with you in the car at all times :? Enough identity there I would have thought ...I do anyway (Well the Mrs does)

Kenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:21 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Thought it was law to carry all your documents with you in the car at all times :? Enough identity there I would have thought ...I do anyway (Well the Mrs does)

Kenny
Not a lot of use in an emergency if the address is 1000 miles away, or fictitious, kenny! A Spanish matriculacion, registration document with your spanish address, a licence registered with Trafico, or a Spanish licence is a bit more handy than a terrace in the back streets of Maghull, No?
Edit: and number plates do not burn as easily as documents!
What if your car is stolen? How do the Guardia track you down to return it, other than breaking into the glove box, which has probably been stripped anyway, and don't you think they might want to have some words about the legality of the car?
Last edited by peteroldracer on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:27 pm

A few weeks ago a spanish woman (fuengirola) rang her husbands movil to ask why he was so late, was answered by a guardia civil officer who said "Sorry, I am answering because your husband is dead and we are waiting for the judge" reported in Diario sur. Nothing to do with UK cars though but neither is the assumed scenario.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm spanish plated anyway, but in the scenario you are putting across here that would be the least of my worries. Why not stick this gory description on flyers and tuck it behind a few Brit plated windscreen wipers :wink:

Kenny

PS Did you live in Maghull? An auntie of mine lives there.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 pm

good plan kenny ;)

i'd drive uk plates if it was legal. i've seen a few bargins about ;)

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 pm

I love Peteroldracer's Acronym, I think I will paint it on untaxed cars in fluorescent paint and if caught, claim it is my artistic interpretation. Damien & Tracy be warned, you now have competition.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:15 am

katy wrote:Yes, I agree about the incorrect puzzle..lets go get him :lol:
See the "Letters to the Editor in this week's CDSN" - went, and got'im!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Read it! nice to hear of one A.commer getting into print

disco_stu
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby disco_stu » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:57 pm

costakid wrote:Be careful who you grass up, i guy got shot in marbella for ringing finance companys in the uk and telling them where vehicles were that they had not been paid for
shame...

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Please do not judge all who drive British-plated vehicles the same.

We gave the documents for our car to a gestor to do as we are a law-abiding couple and wanted the car to be legal.

They got the ficha tecnica wrong three times. (It's a Seat!).
They kept asking for paperwork they didn't need (i.e. a letter from the British Consulate to say we lived here when we already had our certificate from the Town Hall).
They just kept on delaying.
It took nearly nine months to matriculate our car.

During this time we were driving round with no tax, Spanish ITV, Spanish insurance and panicking every time we saw the Guardia.

It was one of the most stressful times we've had since living here.

BUT we were doing our very best to be legal and it wasn't our fault that the car wasn't. Maybe there are other people in this positiona and they are trying to get their cars done.

And to mention something else that was posted on this board a while back, there are British State Benefits that you can claim quite legally whilst living in Spain - so not everyone claiming benefits is a benefit cheat.

Please do not be so quick to judge.

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm

[quote="scampicat"]
During this time we were driving round with no tax, Spanish ITV, Spanish insurance and panicking every time we saw the Guardia.[/quote]

There is absolutley no excuse for driving around with no tax or insurance - period - end of story. You should have hired a car during the process.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Scampicat.
I'm amazed that there has been only one response to your admitting to a crime so heinous it beggars believe and to suggest in the same post that not everyone recieving benefits from the uk is committing fraud!!!
Go and wash your keyboard out with soap.

Mhic.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:01 pm

sunkissed wrote:
scampicat wrote: During this time we were driving round with no tax, Spanish ITV, Spanish insurance and panicking every time we saw the Guardia.
There is absolutley no excuse for driving around with no tax or insurance - period - end of story. You should have hired a car during the process.
It had valid insurance. Yes, in an ideal world we would not have driven it, which is why we felt bad about it, but on a very small income we just couldn't afford to hire a car - and we didn't know it was going to take eight months.

At least we had the car done! Many people don't, which is what this thread is about. If you knew how badly we had felt about this, and knowing we were doing our best, you would not be criticising. I for one was so upset about the length of time it was taking I nearly packed everything up and went back to the UK.

I think many people on this thread are very judgemental.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:03 pm

mhic wrote:Scampicat.
I'm amazed that there has been only one response to your admitting to a crime so heinous it beggars believe and to suggest in the same post that not everyone recieving benefits from the uk is committing fraud!!!
Go and wash your keyboard out with soap.

Mhic.
Is this post meant to be serious???

I do hope not!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:07 pm

looks a little like sarcasm to me........I at least sympathise with you, and as you say, at least you made the effort - it is the ones that don't give a toss that get on most people's goats!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Just out of curiosity scampicat how much did your gestor charge you for doing this service and also what other costs were involved.Hope you don't mind me asking but if more people knew the average costs involved they may be encouraged to do the same as you.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela