Forum Upgrade

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Forum Upgrade

Postby julian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:39 am

you could maybe buy a smaller screen to make it fit !!! :)

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

"Without change...there would be no butterflies". :D
....I'm still lost.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:03 am

what are the black and white dots for???? Loads of white space aswel around screen. Could because i am using a widescreen i suppose

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am

It's all very yellow...like being at the Lib/Dem's Conference :? First impression...don't like it ( But I am a boring old stickinthe mud :roll: ).

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 am

Hello ADMIN, HOPE YOU CAN HEAR ME !!! :D :D

You said report difficulties - all OK except "view new posts" it keeps sticking or freezing on me.
It's done it three times now, which is why I could not initially find "view last posts" equivalent. etc., because it didn't work, when I first logged on to new system.
If I go out to a different section and come back in, it defrosts and lets me open it again.
Apart from that and the rather jaundiced colour, all is fine and I like the new addition where we can see who is on line by looking to the right at the posters - neat ! 8)

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

I also have large white stripes down each side, cant say I like the format, much prefer the old one. :(

underwater
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby underwater » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 am

I've been reading this forum for about 4 years now and really don't
like this new format! There is so much wasted space on the page
making for unecessary scrolling.
Have a look at the forum on www. notesfromspain.com for instance. That is a really
good format where you can even place the mouse over the title of a message to
see what it is about without having to open the message. It also has the new message
facility whereby u can opt to see new messages posted since u last used the forum.
Given andalucia.com has been going quite a long time now I find this new format
quite primitive!
Jan

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:54 pm

I don't like this new format either and I especially hate yellow!!!!!!!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't like the layout or the colours but there are some useful features, (apart from the ones already mentioned) like being able to change the order of posts within a topic so that new posts appear at the top. This saves having to scroll down through all of the previous posts in order to see the most recent.
Let's go Brandon!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Admin, please ignore my question abour "new posts" and freezing - the thing is just very sensitive and I have to be very careful how I place the cursor over the words.
Can anyone tell me how do I get back to new posts when I have just been reading a new post?
If I click back, I just go to expired page and the only way I can see to go back is to go into the current group I was in, ie gardening or choose another group topic, ie living in andalucia when all I want to do is read the next new post ?
To do that, I have to go back to gardening, click board index and then click new posts agin - very slow :( or am I being thick ?

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:07 pm

ok, I seem to be having a problem after making a post.
when I submit the post, the message is there that the post has been submitted successfully, then when I want to return to the 'new posts' section, I get a 'page expired message'.

perhaps its just a bug which will be sorted out during the bedding in time.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:10 pm

The links for 'View unanswered posts' 'View new posts' 'View active topics' and 'Mark forums read' seem to have to be clicked towards the top or the bottom. If you click in the middle nothing happens.

I agree that navigation around the board is very cumbersome but I haven't experienced any freezing.

I'm not getting the problem experienced by Colinm either.

Another useful feature I have discovered is that if someone posts whilst you are writing your you have the option to review your post before submitting it thus generally avoiding the, 'Sorry, we posted at the same time' posts.
Let's go Brandon!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:36 pm

...same for me, Colinm, I get page expired on several things if I click back, but am going the slow route forward to get back to new posts - cumbersome.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm

No, Anis, you are not being thick. I can't navigate this site at all and am reduced to clicking on the 'back' button lots of times. Think I'll come back in a few days when it's better as I'm fed up with it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:24 pm

Have to keep logging on :(
Sometimes I log on, read a few messages, return to the index and it asks me to logg on again.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:27 pm

oooohhh I say ...... I'm like the rest of you floundering around :? . It takes a bit of getting used to! I must say I don't like the fact that there is such a waste of space at either side of the screen and that I can only see a few posts at one time, so I am having to scroll up and down a lot. This will keep us all occupied for a while :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:47 pm

sorry ... another little moan ... the green writing on the yellow background is quite hard to read. I don't know if any of you are colourblind, but I remember a friend at work had great difficulty reading coloured print like this. I do have reading glasses but I am finding the writing much harder to read (also the small grey writing such as the date of the posting, and the info on the poster under the avator)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I too have a lot of wasted space either side of my screen and can only see a few posts before having to continually scroll down the sceen to read.

Also, on loging in, it often says incorrect user name, til i retry. It then says log in successful. :?

Also, on posting a message, you have to wait for the "post was successful" page to come up, then for the main posts page to come up, before you can click to Board Index, before clicking back to "view new posts" very time consuming if you´re not on broadband!

I do like the little extras tho. :wink:

Karen
Last edited by karandjon on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

jwc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jwc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:11 pm

Definitely a step back. Thyere was nothing wrong with the other site.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Dear Admin, this is very slow and tedious. I really do appreciate your efforts, but there are a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out, nearly as many as I have actually :D :D

1. Can you please add "new posts" in the section at the bottom where it says " go to " and it gives a list of forum subtitles .ie got to gardening etc.,. At least, that way, I could go straight back to new posts - this is taking me three times longer than before on the old system.
2. Also, can you squash it all up a bit so I can see more than just three or two posts at the same time, I have big white gaps either side that are wasteful - I am losing continuity and fluidity of posting because I have to keep scrolling back so far. It is interrupting my journalistic skills :D
3. Please make new post/ search post/ etc., less cursor sensitive so they react wherever they are hit, not just top and bottom. I thought I had frozen up.
4. Pleaseeee - get rid of the yellow and replace with greens and shades thereof so Wicksey can see the grey. My sight ain't so good anymore either. Peachy would prefer it too. I know it it easy to change background colour - go on, you can do it, we can be a modern green eco forum. The yellow makes me feel billious and I don't want to see it with my coffee in the mornings :D :D .
I promise not to add you to my foes list, ever.

If anyone agrees with me, please feel free to add on, or agree too - they did ask for suggestions.