Forum Upgrade

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Forum Upgrade

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Only a mini-moan - when a page is loading (for example the new posts page), it all appears on the screen, so I go to click on a subject link and suddenly the page 'jumps' a bit and I either hit the wrong link or miss them altogether ! Very irritating :evil:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:26 pm

All in all Admin, like the curate's egg, good in parts: For me, horrible colour and wasteful page layout, the targets for the links are too small and my own real no1 moan, in tabbed browsing, all you get now is a www number displayed whereas before there was the subject. which was extremely useful. 4 out of 10 only I'm afraid....could do better :P

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:37 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Only a mini-moan - when a page is loading (for example the new posts page), it all appears on the screen, so I go to click on a subject link and suddenly the page 'jumps' a bit and I either hit the wrong link or miss them altogether ! Very irritating :evil:
That is happening to me too! And wasting valuable mb´s if you are limited to 1gb a month like me, as it loads a link i don´t want! :evil:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Whoops, go away for a few days and look what happens :shock: I thought I had logged on to some spoof site! More or less ok but don't like the colour, feeling quite liverish :wink:

I understood this change would be better, ie. it would be easier to trace multi id's etc and stop abuse. Anyone know what the advantages are?

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't like the new appearance either, its a bit amatuer looking not as professional looking as before :(

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:03 pm

I'm having trouble with the view new posts bit too.

Will probably get used to the new layout but can't say I like it! Out of the forums that I use, this is the one I like the least.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:29 pm

anyone got the time to give us a guided tour around the new forum?I thought that I would get used to it after a while, but I think I´m going backwards at the moment !

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 pm

I think it is awful.

The colours are dreadful and the text is spaced too far apart - I spend ages scrolling down where before you could see loads on one page. I have a large (24") monitor running at high resolution - I hate to think what it must be like on a smaller, lower resolution monitor.

I cannot see any useful additions at all.

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Oh yes, another thing.....

If a thread has more than one page, the symbol is currently to the far right of the heading, so is easily missed if you normally click the thread title. This means you are wasting time & download space by opening a page you have already read !!

Can we please have the 2 page symbol at the immediate beginning or end of the thread header where it is clearly visible ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:13 am

This might be rather cynical but I'm currently learning about how to make a website, blog and all that stuff and I wonder if this change is more to a.coms advantage in that we now have to spend more time looking and scrolling, i.e. we are 'on site' longer or have to make more 'hits'. Better for advertising rates? I don't know. I'm only led to devious thinking because, clearly, at the moment, this does not seem to be an improvement from most of our point of view. Especially the white sides and small amount of visible information problem. I've got a big screen as well but it seems a real disadvantage currently.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:31 am

I keep having to log in every time I visit the site...

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 am

Dear Members,

Thanks for the comments which have been read with interest.

It was absolutely necessary to upgrade the software for security reasons. We were on borrowed time. Recent threads about viruses may have been caused by this.

Do remember to separate the three types of comments for us take on board, one is the comments on the additional functionality in the upgrade, such as the friend or foe feature and the moderator warning system which are part and parcel of the software. We will have to learn our way around these. Another is the new formatting which we can modify. The third is technical problems which may or may not be just glitches.

We did consider a test release on the Amigos first, but the security issue seemed more important.

The previous change in software in 2001 was very unpopular at the time.

Thanks for you patience.

Admin team.

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 am

hillybilly wrote:I keep having to log in every time I visit the site...

same with me Hilly even though I have ticked the box 'log me in automatically'

its a pain :|

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 am

I suppose like everything else that changes in life we will get used to it. !!!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:43 pm

Yes. I suppose in a few weeks it will all be 'normal'. I've had to log on again on both my IMAC and laptop. The laptop asked me twice but it's working perfectly for me now. Perhaps it's just a blip for you, Hilly?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:47 pm

andalucia wrote: The previous change in software in 2001 was very unpopular at the time.
Wasn't the last change in 2004 when everyone had to re-register? That change was actually an improvement.
Let's go Brandon!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Now used to the site but the overall appearance is cheap and nasty. the original format was much more professional. This one to me is a poor quality second.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:06 pm

If they have control over the basic format perhaps they could make it look and feel more like the old one with the advantage of the new features.
Let's go Brandon!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:52 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Oh yes, another thing.....

If a thread has more than one page, the symbol is currently to the far right of the heading, so is easily missed if you normally click the thread title. This means you are wasting time & download space by opening a page you have already read !!

Can we please have the 2 page symbol at the immediate beginning or end of the thread header where it is clearly visible ?
I agree entirely Chrissie! I click on the thread title as i don´t see the page 2 symbol until too late, thus wasting mb´s! I agree it should be next to the thread title!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:55 pm

andalucia wrote:Dear Members,

Do remembers to separate the three types of comments for us take on board, one is the comments on the additional functionality in the upgrade, such as the friend or foe feature and the moderator warning system which are part and parcel of the software. We will have to learn our way around these. Another is the new formatting which we can modify. The third is technical problems which may or may not be just glitches.

Thanks for you patience.

Admin team.
Admin, can you start off the 3 separate headings in the relevant section, for us all to post the relevant comments under? :idea: