Thread splitting/ combining

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Thread splitting/ combining

Postby gerryh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi Sid
El Cid wrote:
gerryh wrote:The replies about satellite coverage is interesting but what have they got to do with the original subject of
"Free Firewall" ?
Perhaps a new thread should have been started.
Surprised the mods haven't jumped on this. :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Gerry

Perhaps you should read my posts more carefully.

I posted:-

Acen - you started this thread about your firewall problem and it has drifted a bit off topic. As it seems to have generated some interest I will let it run if you are happy with that.

The forum software is not good and splitting a thread is not easy. Last time I tried it a number of posts got lost and they are not recoverable.

Sid
I wasn't being entirely serious :angel: :angel:
But on the other hand I hadn't read your comment.
I was interested in the "Free Firewall" thread but lost interest when the UK TV discussion took over.
On the other hand some people might have been interested in the UK TV part but didn't read thre thread as they weren't interested in the Free Firewall thread.
So when a thread gets off topic it is, in my opinion, worth splitting to a new thread.
Sometimes it happens that two similar threads are running that might be worth combining into one thread.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Thread splitting/ combining

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:41 pm

Yes I agree with that. I am getting to know the forum software a bit better and seem to have got it right this time.

The real problem with it is that deleted posts cannot be restated or even read by the mods so we have to be careful not to screw it up!

Off topic posts that add nothing to the thread just get deleted.

Please remember that we don't read every post so pressing the report button should bring it to our attention.

Sid