Judgments on forum members

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Judgments on forum members

Postby Paula » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Jool the "House Rules" have been posted as a sticky on General forum.
(I have never actually noticed it before today, though the post date is 03 Jun :? )

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:19 pm

White Horse wrote:
Chunky Monky wrote:The problem with this site is that the Moderation is very poor.
I don't agree at all.
It is unbelievable the amount of vitriol and abuse that is tolerated here.
This forum has less personal abuse than most I use. I think it is a good place to interact.
On most groups offenders would be warned a couple of time and then banned if they continue.
Infractions are normally given on other forums, then a short ban, but rarely a permanent ban.
You can't stop the lunatics joining the asylum but at least you can kick them out the door when they misbehave!
If you don't like the way the forum is moderated, you know what to do.
I agree with White Horse. We all have our own stalkers but wouldn't want to see the forum whitewashed. This seems to be one of the nicer forums. What really annoys me is the subtlile put downs and then the poster fakes innocence. Then there are the people who rubbish a link that has been put on. Everybody rubbishes the Daily mail and we all know they read it :mrgreen:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Nothing wrong with The Mail.
I have a subscription :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:16 pm

katy wrote:

Everybody rubbishes the Daily mail and we all know they read it
I agree, :thumbup: I read it and think they write rubbish :angel:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Paula - yes I saw that as soon as I had posted!! :oops:

I think that some posts do flout the guidelines and those guilty of these seem (or claim to be) unaware of their own foibles and patterns, as Katy also points out. So for a few weeks or one month only I would like the relevant extract to be posted after such posts in public so that everyone is aware of when they are too close to the mark and where the line is being drawn.

There is banter, even great humour and fun but the other side is there is also spiteful character assassination and forum stalking by some members and to me this comes across as bullying or a vendetta sometimes (probably too strong a word).

I´m also old fashioned enough to believe we should all afford others the respect of at least starting a post and a sentence with a capital letter. Nothing to do with spelling or grammar just plain old courtesy to the reader.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 am

There is banter, even great humour and fun but the other side is there is also spiteful character assassination and forum stalking by some members and to me this comes across as bullying or a vendetta sometimes (probably too strong a word).
If someone posts something that is factually incorrect I believe that it should be pointed out along with evidence, links etc. where possible. It seems to me that some members feel that is a personal character assassination which it is not.
If I can give an example:
Someone once wrote "All Muslims are terrorists" Clearly that statement is wrong and when someone pointed that out (sadly now departed and much missed member) he was accused of stalking & bullying - It is not it is just trying to get the facts right :!:
Ann

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:49 am

Oh yes but some of the posts under "Serious Advice needed" went beyond the sharing of experiences adn were definitely designed to be
ridiculing....... clearly designed to upset or antagonise
such as this one
I know what I would do with his warped planks as well...but I may get 4 years if I post it on the internet !!!! :wtf:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Jool wrote:
I´m also old fashioned enough to believe we should all afford others the respect of at least starting a post and a sentence with a capital letter. Nothing to do with spelling or grammar just plain old courtesy to the reader.
Jool
I have to disagree with this point
This is a forum and as such there should be allowances made. It is actually bad manners to correct someone in this way.
What tends to happen is if someone disagrees with a post, which has bad spelling, they will comment and belittle the person so they look stupid but let something go when they agree

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm

"you c***s who think you know it all are annoying us who do"

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Jool.
When a poster posted
I know what I would do with his warped planks as well...but I may get 4 years if I post it on the internet !!!!
, why did you take offence? Was it simply because it was julian or were you really that upset? Julian was not getting at Peter when he posted that! It was a suggestion as to what he would do with the planks regarding Bauhaus. How you can say
ridiculing....... clearly designed to upset or antagonise
is beyond me - and I suspect most other posters.

You must lead a very sheltered life if that post upset you.
Dave

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:45 pm

carrowcrin wrote:"you c***s who think you know it all are annoying us who do"
That is quite funny, sounds like something Julian would have posted.
Perhaps for those who cannot regognise sarcasm it should be posted as:

<sarcasm>you c***s who think you know it all are annoying us who do</sarcasm>
Ann

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Jool - I have to agree with Dave. You often seem quite paranoid about Julian and I have often been bewildered at your snarling response to something Julian has written, taking what - to me - is a perfectly innocuous, even humourous post, as a personal attack! I like you, Jool - you've helped me more than once, but I don't understand why you perceive Julian the way you do. He's just Julian and if you 'get' him - he's great fun and an asset to the forum.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:04 pm

annfoto wrote:
carrowcrin wrote:"you c***s who think you know it all are annoying us who do"
That is quite funny, sounds like something Julian would have posted.
Perhaps for those who cannot regognise sarcasm it should be posted as:

<sarcasm>you c***s who think you know it all are annoying us who do</sarcasm>
I think we can all follow the plot without a translator :roll:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:12 pm

If things continue a la Peter's thread then people are going to be wary about seeking advice for any difficulties/complaints they may have. It has always been the theme running through all the threads like this that the customer is always wrong.

There are many threads that can take the banter and sarcasm but a few serious ones should stick to the subject and not get personal.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:00 pm

There's also the fact that the OP of the thread you mention is one of the worst offenders when it comes to putting down people whether it be about politics or someone on here.
I'm not going to defend Julian for his posts because he could be provcative but the amount of vitriol he had to put up with was pretty bad too.
He as I do and others don't see Spain as a 3rd world country or even so bad as it is often said to be so he will argue his case as he sees things
He as I do and others don't like racism so he argues his case.
Some of the things he says are of the wall but that makes him interesting.He's not predictable either that also makes him interesting.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:10 pm

It has always been the theme running through all the threads like this that the customer is always wrong.
Always? Nonsense. Sometimes maybe, but not always.
(btw, you are one of the worst offenders when it comes to giving other posters some stick, so come off your high horse)
:crazy:
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:26 pm

In Peter's post there was some crititism regarding his lack of Spanish and about the wood but not from everybody.
Nobody agreed with his idea of standing outside the shop with posters.
Not everybody felt he was in the wrong.
why were people were advising him to stay calm and where did people get the idea he might not say the right things to get the outcome he wanted?

In the end He was asking for (serious) advice and because it wasn't the advice he wanted ...well that's nobody's fault.

Added after orignal post
In Peter's defence He actually didn't complain about other posters on the thread but stuck to his guns in this case without any putdowns
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Yes, I give as good as I get and solely retaliation. Julian followed every post Jool, Peter and myself made. Here is an example

Re: illegal taxi drivers

by julian on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:09 pm

some will be and some won´t be I guess.... no doubt someone here will have personally done in-depth research into the matter and soon post their "facts and figures"

You will all be aware that he was refering to me, especially Ms wiki. This comment has been made by julian at least 10 times this month following my posts. Solely on the basis that I said I once wrote an article! I didn't respond because I thought he was craving attention and a response, possibly his aim was to get me banned. So, ask yourselves would you have kept stum.

As for Peter thread I thought it was totally unacceptable from a few posters so some of you should cease coming one here claiming it wasn't me guv :twisted:

The only ones aiming to start a witch hunt are the ones with an axe to grind...and I could name at least 3 :mrgreen:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Here's one of them! It isn't a witch hunt but it gets a bit boring when the font of all knowledge knows absolutely everything about absolutely everything.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Somebody made a complaint somewhere about Julian.There's the witch hunt. I don't think anybody is saying they want anybody else banned.

There's no other witch hunt.