Judgments on forum members

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Judgments on forum members

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Not always in retaliation, Katy. You snapped my head once when I didn't phrase something properly and you took offence. I apologised, clarified what I was trying to say and we got over it. It would be easy to trawl back through posts and give examples of one person dis-respecting another - if all these people got banned, it would be a dull forum indeed! It seems a shame that someone gets banned because a few people don't like that person.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:04 pm

*snapped my head off* I meant - I'm on my phone and it won't let me edit!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:35 pm

markwilding wrote:Somebody made a complaint somewhere about Julian.There's the witch hunt. I don't think anybody is saying they want anybody else banned.

There's no other witch hunt.
How do you know someone made a complaint? You seem to be the one instigating a witch hunt :roll: Credit the moderators with some intelligence. Many forums would have deleted these threads as they go against the T&C's. Have you read them?

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 pm

Katy,
Read the name of the thread who is it referring to? and there is definitely a reference to a post he made.This thread is about him not anyone else.
As I've already said I'm not going to defend his post highlighted on this thread However, In my opinion there have been worse offenders on the forum. If you don't agree fine but it's still my opinion based on two years on the forum.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:54 pm

There possibly have been worse offenders. At the end of the day Jool has the right to make the complaint, some don't see it has a fair complaint, but it's up to her isn't it? Maybe she is more sensitive than some others. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks, it is up to the moderators to make an unbiased decision re her complaint.
I personally don't think there are any members on here that should be banned, there are posts made at various points that maybe should be deleted.
To be honest I find it quite strange that anyone should actually get terribly uptight about anonymous people on a forum, I mean if it were somebody in your workplace it's different, but a forum, just faceless names spouting their opinions, which may or may not be honest ones.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:02 pm

I would never criticise a forum member who has had his account deleted.
1. It is cowardly as they cannot reply.
2. it is pointless as they have gone.
3. It is akin to speaking ill of the dead.
:yawn:

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Another forum I visit has the following disclaimer at the bottom of the index page. I think it worthy of repeating here.

"As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions.

*"sciolist"... Noun, archaic. "a person who pretends to be knowledgeable and well informed"."

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:13 pm

As i am not a regular user and i just came across this topic today and the only reason i decided to contribute is i do not believe we are allowed to make judgement on other peoples contributions whether we agree or disagree, the whole purpose is to get different views and if we are not happy with the forum just leave it.
On the basis of that i am surprised this topic was not immediately curtailed.
I sometimes find that getting different views makes me realize that other peoples opinions are just and sometimes more relevent to my own.
I was expecting a bit of a backlash because of my "very crude word" but because it is nit a nice statement it is the best word that fits.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am

Mark you misunderstand me - I am not at all suggesting posters correct one another but that it should be a norm on forums that out of respect to other users you write with this basic level of courtesy to other users.

I also have to say I am not wanting anyone to get banned, not even Julian (though its a tempting thought for me sometimes) but just to find a way of limiting, reducing or eliminating the unnecessarily personal comments that breach the house rules as shown here. In my opinion over recent weeks Julian is one person whose contributions have made several breaches including on the thread referred to. It was ridicule to say Peter should stand outside Bauhaus in full sun during siesta hours.......

Mowser - read some of the other posts in response to Peter, I don´t agree with your interpretation. I did not say I was upset by it either, I just said I saw it as flouting the rules as posted by Sid.

I find some people ask what I see as incredibly stupid or basic questions on here, but they are entitled to if they are new or its a new situation to them, no one has the right to ridicule anyone for asking for help. Peter may be an old member and not blameless himself either but he is as entitled to basic human respect as any of the rest of us are.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 am

As the subject of some of this recent comment, I would just like to say that I was disappointed at the tone of some of it, but not surprised. In many a bar there is a somewhat inebriated tattooed braggart, spouting off about others whilst usually knowing little. Some have spent their time in Spain pretending to be more than they are (a 2-bed terrace on a sink council estate becomes a 4-bed mansion in a good part of town, and years of occasional brickies' labourer work (cash-in-hand, of course) becomes a career in architectural renovation.
I keep that sort of thought in my head if something hurts, and of course dismiss anything from anyone claiming to be a resident of Marbella out of hand. :wink:
:wave:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Peter
I don't understand your post. On the one hand you say you are dissapointed about the tone of post,then go into an insulting tirade about tattoed people who live on coucil estates claiming to be what they are not.
Then say that if somone says they are from Marbella, the things they say can't be believed.

That's not the impression I get from posters on A.com.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I am really glad I started this as different interpretations are amazing.......Peter´s post made me smile and its a fairly accurate description of many an expat bar around here, your area is very different Mark. I don´t read it as saying you cannot believe people from Marbella, I read it that he says people claiming to be from Marbella are not (probably just Malaga, less posh) and that he takes no notice of their posts (clearly a ref to one particular poster)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi Jool
I did actually understand where peter was coming from. I just wanted to point out that on a forum things can be seen differently. comments like that are personal and meant to put down someone.

BTY I didn't take it personally because
I don't have tattoos :angel:
I never get drunk :angel:
I have never lived on a council estate -I do consider myself to have working class background though, I'm not sure if that counts- :D
or claimed to live in Marbella :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Mark, that's what they all say :lol: Don't get me started on tattoos :silent:

I always thought Julian was middle class. He is the only one who came out on here :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:45 pm

Just to prove it
This is me outside my villa in West Marbella. You might know it as Torremolinos.
Our villa is on the fifth floor of 20.

http://www.funckr.com/funny-pictures/13 ... ping/orig/

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Of course all names are aliases - one name can give a very different impression from another.
If you had posed a complex techical enquiry and had two responses, which one would you give most credence to - the one from Bert or the one from Malcolm? Be honest now!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Of course all names are aliases
Oh no they are not.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:14 pm

markwilding wrote:Peter
I don't understand your post. .
That much is evident mark: in simple words (sorry, cannot keep them to one syllable) in my view there was no insulting tirade, I was merely saying that if anyone says the sort of thing some did, I picture them as tattooed ex-sink council estate drunks, then their comments become insignificant to me - a bit like if one is overawed by someone, think of them being on the toilet then having to wipe their bottom.
It is funny how things conjure up a certain image in the mind, so El Cid is a leader of men sitting high on his charger, Beachcomber the author of many witty and pungent prose in the press many moons ago, and, for example, Julian is one half of two very camp idiots on Round The Horne that I laughed at in my teens and twenties. Difficult to shake those images off!
If my own alias conjures up pictures of a has-been, then fair enough. Better a has-been than a never was? :)

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:45 pm

OK Peter I think you've made your point old chap. It all started off as a weapons grade rant by you about a shed you'd bought and the action you were going to take to wreak revenge on the supplier, because they did not return calls and didn't class you as important as you deem yourself to be.

I would have been angry too.........but would have sorted it no problem without even asking an opinion from anyone else on the planet :idea: I think it was the placard (spelling) thing that raised peoples eyebrows and your intent to camp out in downtown Malaga until you got the shed of your dreams.......plus a grands worth of extras thrown in :shock: ......now I know you're not but I envisiged those to be the words from a tattood drunk from a council estate as you put it, certainly not the norm, not in my world anyway.

As I said at the start of shedgate I sincerely hope you get it sorted..........but talk about making mountains out of molehills :roll: ......these exchanges just don't seem to happen in real life.........or again in my world they don't.

Now don't forget to get that base nicely laid and think of the money you've put back into the Town Hall with the small works license you've procured :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Moderators decision is final :wink: