Members who have never posted

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Members who have never posted

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:51 pm

In face to face conversation, you might think someone was being an utter bore and fretting about nothing but unless they really drove you loopy, you wouldn't tell them to 'get a life'
I think it's "the bravery of being out of range", Irene.
Dave

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Exactly, Dave. :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:22 pm

I think "get a life" is one of the most widely used statements on all the forums. It's a lot better than swearing. :lol:

I have noticed most of the spanish forums are quiet. Not sure why but it's certainly not just this one. I think maybe a lot of old posters were actually in the property business, they will be back :wink: Have seen a lot of newbies get miffed and fly off in a huff because the message is not what they want to hear. What I have found is that even the poster who you disagree with almost all the time will one day post something you agree on.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 pm

I hate to be a teachers pet, but I agree with Cid. Bullying in any form is wrong. We, mostly, ask for advice, not sarcastic comments in return.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:40 pm

I think "get a life" is one of the most widely used statements on all the forums. It's a lot better than swearing
Maybe so, Katy and perhaps I'm a delicate little flower, but my "petty" questions were extremely important to me - moving to Spain is a huge decision, especially when one hasn't got much money and I was hurt and angry to be told that by someone who doesn't even know me. So I am only too aware, from personal experience, how seemingly throw-away comments can be very cutting. People putting their toe in the water here will (some of them) be extremely nervous and anxious about the future.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 pm

As a recipient of the ministrations of the spelling/English monitor, I can say from first hand that the number of my posts is limited to what I consider to be meaningfull and factual where ever posible. Dyslexia is a terible afliction and one I have had to fight thoughout all of my life. It is dificult, to almost impossible, enough to pen a misive of the top of my head - It requires using a word processor and a spell checker then cut and paste here befor it can be posted.
So those blessed with a command of English and especially spelling - just have a thought for those less able but none the less contribute !

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:04 pm

...I have only just tuned in...I loved your long post, Katy, it made me laugh out loud.:lolno: You can be extremely amusing, at times :wink:
I think it's rude to criticise spelling, grammar etc., and as has been pointed out above, you wouldn't dream of correcting someone's cockney / Brummie / whatever/accent because it happened to be different to your own - whilst in conversation with them in public.
If you did, you would most likely enjoy a good "decking " and it would be well deserved, so why should it be any different with the written word ?
We are not all fortunate enough to have enjoyed the same levels of education and there can be many reasons we may not know of why the poster may be having trouble with the written word but it is no cause to mock. My brother suffered from dyslexia but nobody knew about such things in the early days. I was able to understand the things he wrote however and I am sure we can all get the gist of what any poster is trying to say. Martin, I was about to post this when I was held up by your post mentioning dyslexia so hope we agree.
However, I do recall the post about the " skool " Mowser and agree with your thinking it was a scam.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:14 pm

IreneD wrote:- moving to Spain is a huge decision, especially when one hasn't got much money and I was hurt and angry to be told that by someone who doesn't even know me.
That's the point... Hardly anybody on here is on actual face to face terms...nobody knows how we are connecting to the forum. It makes a difference if you buy a new computer or if you are switching between Spanish and English keyboards or even worse using an English keyboard set up for spanish typefaces .
If you're using a phone or other small gadget to post
If you're in a rush and you have little time to check your post for mistakes.
If you're drunk.
plus the reasons put forward by the 2 previous posters
I use a spell checker for letters but I don't see why I should on here just to please those who think being able to spell makes you cleverer.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:47 pm

El Cid wrote: I have the diplomatic skills of Ghengis Khan and I don't mince my words.
Sid
Don't say that as though it is a bad thing, these are perfect attributes for a forum moderator. :P

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm

We, mostly, ask for advice, not sarcastic comments in return.
Says you! :P
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Nimrod wrote:Sometimes even moderators can be so sarcastic they stop people posting.
I hope you are not referring to the moderators on this forum.

I can be accused of many things but sarcastic comments - NO.

I am sure the same goes for Beachcomber's posts.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:53 pm

IreneD wrote:What about a Newbies Only board with an introductory post by Sid explaining it's function? Once the Newbies hit - say - 30 posts, they should be thrown to the wolves - er, I mean given access to the whole of the forum. The only members allowed to respond to queries from the Newbies would be a sort of 'panel' - moderators and members who Sid and Beachy consider 'safe' e.g. Benidorm, Enrique, Julie to name but a few - interesting members with a sense of humour and who are unfailingly polite and helpful. We could all be allowed to read this board and if we felt we had a helpful contribution to make we could PM a moderator and he could copy and paste our response onto the board.

Once the Newbies got to know some of us and feel that they've made some friends, they might feel braver venturing into the whole forum. It should be possible - access to the Amigos lounge is restricted after all.

By the way, unlike Katy's post (which did make me laugh) this is a serious suggestion lol!

Thanks for those suggestions Irene - I do appreciate them.

Yes, it would make life easier for Newbies but there are all sorts of technical reasons why it would be difficult to put in place.

Getting back to basics, why should a Newbie be scared of posting a question on this forum? Possibly because of the treatment some posters have received in the past. If that is the case then the solution to the problem is much simpler - we all just apply a degree of respect and courtesy to anyone who posts on this forum - particularly Newbies.

That is the whole point of this thread - and I am pleased that we are getting some constructive posts on the subject.

You can easily see if a post is from a Newbie - the post count shows that. It would be nice if when a Newbie makes his first post, and you choose to answer it that you just give a welcome message in your reply. Possibly even say, "I can't help but welcome to the forum". This counts for a lot - it's only the same politeness and respect that we would normally do in real life when meeting someone for the first time - why does it have to be so different on a forum?

If we need to introduce a special system to handle new members then we have all failed in our basic duty to be nice, polite, courteous, and respectful to people!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all be nice, polite and respectful to each other - just as we probably are in real life?

Sid

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Does anyone think that on seeing that the site has an Amigos only section is a bit offputting?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:56 pm

I must admit that on posting for the first time I wanted an answer to a question. I had neither been on the forum before nor ever read any posts. I had no opinions about the forum manners one way or another. I did, however, get my question answered.

I'm all for politeness and respect. I do not believe I have ever used any swear words directed at another poster but I have been known to use scarcasm as a form of humour - against myself at times as well. I shall try to do better for my part.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Welcome back Lavender
I'm trying not to imagine Sid coming down on top of you :angel:

Edited A couple of seconds after original:

you edited your post :lol:

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Anntonio, when I first joined, being a rather nosey, inquisitive creature, I saw The Amigo's Lounge as a bit of a lure, a bait to stay on to post some more to see what was in the lounge - perhaps that was the intention ?
I don't think it was meant to be anything more than that - not elitist in any sense.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:04 pm

I know! I did edit my original post which did say that "the thought of Sid coming down on top of me was ... what was the word...frightening!" HOWEVER, I got a bit paranoid in case that was unacceptable. In fact I think my sense of humour might desert me altogether soon ...

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't believe for one second that the main reason new members don't post is because of possible abuse. There could be a myriad of reasons. I have joined (over the past 10 years) around half a dozen forums. The reasons I joined was because I was seeking information about various places to retire and on others, was seeking info about computers

I was on a Tenerife forum and after I had read a few posts, decided that this particular forum wasn't for me. It was full of ex-pat whingers. I joined another Spanish forum but didn't like the layout. I made one post on that and didn't bother returning. I joined a French forum (don't I get around?) and sought information there. I made about three posts and didn't return.

I went to a few Ubuntu forums and made about 10 posts. As I now have windows 7 I haven't returned.
I joined two windows 7 forums. One was helpful and I post there occasionally. The other wasn't so I didn't return.

Suggestion. Couldn't a standard letter be sent to members who have never posted, or posted only once or twice, asking them why they didn't post or haven't returned?

It would be a better idea than what we're doing now - assuming it's because of abuse by A dot com members.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 pm

anis wrote:Anntonio, when I first joined, being a rather nosey, inquisitive creature, I saw The Amigo's Lounge as a bit of a lure, a bait to stay on to post some more to see what was in the lounge - perhaps that was the intention ?
I don't think it was meant to be anything more than that - not elitist in any sense.
No -the Lounge isn't elitist at all - you're quite right. OK - you have to have to have made a certain number of posts to gain access but that should encourage members to contribute useful posts in the main forum.

The key thing about the Lounge is that you can cover any subject you like (within reason) - the normal "It's got to be about Andalucia" doesn't apply.

The house rules about advertising and respect and courtesy etc. still apply but apart from that almost anything goes.

There is a tendency to use the main forum as a "chat room" but it was never intended for that - it is for - I quote:- " The Andalucia.com forums are intended for those looking for information or resources in Andalucia and Southern Spain".

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Mowser
You are probably correct that most have other reasons not to post than not being made welcome. I do think it´s better to give a newby a chance to get to know us a little so they can work out who they can wind up a little and who is a little more sensitive and vice versa.
Banning someone for correcting a peson's spelling I would suggest is a little harsh though.

Ann
You will be disappointed when you get the keys to the amigos lounge.It's as Sid says plus it will keep you with a supply of bad jokes to tell down the pub.