Bringing up old threads

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Bringing up old threads

Postby katy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 am

Can't old threads more than a year or so be closed and be read only? If you do a search on Trip Advisor they close them after so long.

I have noticed that when old threads re-appear it is mainly a spammer or someone resurrecting and old argument for personal spite

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bringing up old threads

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 am

Fair point Katy. I will find out for you.

Sid

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:39 am

I am not so sure, but I don't read nor post much in here. Spammers yes but what about someone who goes back to update their thread maybe having been without internet or an issue that took a long time to solve ? Starting a new thread would not make much sense maybe ? maybe it does not happen enough times to warrant any change. I know that some people who can work the 'search facility' on forums don't look at the date of the posts. Just my tuppence worth.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am

A year might be too short.
For example taxes etc are paid once a year.
Highly likely any thread on them which has "finished" for this year will need to be updated/ continued next year?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 am

Sid,
I do agree that most old threads aren't worth reviving, but as Vail points out some are very useful and do require updates, so where do you draw the line ?

For instance I don't really mind any of my posts being closed , including the 'Lakonia' thread, but would it be fair to all of the contributors ?

Regards,
Gordon ( a volunteer writer/member of this forum, with absolutely no vested interests ) :wave:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm

ValL wrote:I am not so sure, but I don't read nor post much in here. Spammers yes but what about someone who goes back to update their thread maybe having been without internet or an issue that took a long time to solve ? Starting a new thread would not make much sense maybe ? maybe it does not happen enough times to warrant any change. I know that some people who can work the 'search facility' on forums don't look at the date of the posts. Just my tuppence worth.
Good points, but the poster could paste the link. I would hope no one is without internet for a year :lol: Don't think the Lakonia should be closed as it's special, a one off. Perhaps it should be a sticky as suppose some ex-crew member was googling and wanted to get in touch.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Personally I seldom click links on forums internal or not. There are threads that are done and dusted but who has the time to go through them ? and as said who decides which ones ? I think there may be a few upset members if their precious thread was locked.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I have established that threads can be closed automatically after a certain amount of time has passed since they were last posted to.

Can I please have some more feedback on this as to whether it should be done and if so, how long should the period be?

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:07 pm

If they have to be locked then at least 15 months to allow updates/ amendments to information that is needed on an annual basis such as Tax returns.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Really I don't see the point of locking threads
If someone gets the hump over something from the past then let them report to moderator and get it judged upon.
This recent instance of grumpiness over old threads is the only one I can remember in my time here,storm in a tea cup.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Better that the "heavy" stuff like Taxes, Form 210 etc is put in as FAQ's and updated.......as the goal posts move..... :D That's if El Cid and Beachcomber have some time to update..........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm

gerryh wrote:If they have to be locked then at least 15 months to allow updates/ amendments to information that is needed on an annual basis such as Tax returns.
Cheers
Gerry
Yes, sounds reasonable :) Though they will still be able to be read. Many larger fora do it, not sure what the timescale is.
I can remember more than one, spammers do it frequently, not sure why :? The others seem to be posters using another persona to settle old scores.

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Why not just put it to a vote in a Yes/No poll?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:Why not just put it to a vote in a Yes/No poll?
Because I asked for feedback from members, which I am getting.

When I have looked at it all I will make a decision as to how to proceed.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:04 pm

ValL wrote: I think there may be a few upset members if their precious thread was locked.

If no one has posted to it for say two years it can't really be too precious can it?

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm not bothered either way, but if it ain't broken why fix it ?.

If anyone is that bothered all they have to do is make a reference to the old thread and you can read it anyway, just out of curiosity I just looked at an old thread of mine ' Cheap wines in Spain', which was locked long ago, but it is still near the top in Google and has had 65,750 hits :shock:

I think one or two members are worried that someone might revive an old thread that could upset them.?

Regards,
Gordon....)Thread -bare.) :lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:21 pm

BENIDORM wrote:

I think one or two members are worried that someone might revive an old thread that could upset them.?
How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Katy just asked if it was possible and commented that some forums did so.

She is quite right about spammers - I frequently delete new posts on old threads as the spammers just look at the subject or the contents of previous posts without checking the date. They seem to think that by posting to an existing thread it won't be so obvious that their intention is to spam the forum.

Sid

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I can't see why old posts should be locked because it may be inconvenient to the odd member being reminded of some fracas that they were in some time ago. If there were a closure limit, say 15 months, anybody this an agenda could just add a post once a year and 're-set' the 15 month time limit, such posts could be kept going forever.

Not to mention the work involved, would the locking have to be done manually or could A.com devise a system that would automatically lock posts that were older than the prescribed time limit? On the front page of A.com it says there are over 24,000 topics on the site, closing the vast majority of those would be a nightmare.

Locking old threads won't stop spammers.

My tuppence worth.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:48 pm

At first I was thinking locking threads would be a good idea as some members do trawl back over old posts looking for 'ammunition' if they are in a battle with someone or have a bee in their bonnet but of course, locking the threads wouldn't stop that happening so I don't really see the point, to be honest. It wouldn't always stop old posts being brought forward, which is what Katy suggested - I don't think she enjoyed the Ancient Briton one appearing again but as Chunky says, they could be hauled up again just to scupper the time limit which might make you even busier locking them when they kick off.

I don't mind - whatever you think is best, Sid.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

If a thread has not had a post after 1 year it could be locked.
The information within it is still available, as long as they are not deleted, I can't see a problem.