Confused by actions taken by andalucian.com action

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
toddcl
Resident

Confused by actions taken by andalucian.com action

Postby toddcl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:31 pm

While the majority of people posting take an active role in asking and answering questions and have a little banter / fun / laugh from time to time.

I can not understand why some threads are deleted due to one person maliciously causing trouble. Surely the majority rule not the single aggrivateor who is hell bent on destroying a thread that is being enjoyed by the majority.

The 'What are you buying' threads where enjoyed by both male and female posters and many of the comments reinforced that people were enjoying them.

My question is: why delete a thread because one person is hell bent on destroying it? It must give the individual great pleasure and feeling of power to destroy so many peoples enjoyment at a stoke of a keyboard.

This can not be correct or good for the Site.

:x
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm with you here todd but you are wasting your time mate. It depends which view you are taking as to who the perpetrator is.
I take a lot of stick on here which gives the real spoilers a feeling of strength too as well as pleasure.
This will not be resolved in this room. My suggestion is that we and that means me in particular, ignore completely the spoilers when they post. It will be difficult as I suffer these fools and their entourage badly, but I shall try.
I believe that A.com delete the threads when the petty arguments start. I am therefore almost as guilty as the idiots who manage to rouse me. In future I will try to ignore their comments completely. you are perfectly correct in saying that alot of people enjoy the fun banter as is shown by the viewing figures on the threads in question before they were deleted. :roll:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:37 pm

I learnt long ago that the moderators of ADC have all undergone a sense of humour by-pass so I don't bother any more.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:35 pm

So far I think I have beaten A.Com regarding deletions to my comments, both serious and in fun. Do you think they have left me alone out of sympathy for the afflicted, or is is that I have posted when they are asleep?

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:22 pm

I agree with you - whilst I did not join in the 'm-i-l topic', as I don't (luckily?) have one and didn't have time, I was surprised to find it removed. I do admit that I found one posting regarding valentines day a little tasteless.....never complained......had my say.....and left it at that. However I have always enjoyed the humor/wit/command of the English language of the postings.
I repeat what I have always said before-- good, clean, (old-fashioned?)fun.
........................and by the way..............the new (first) grandchild is just GORGEOUS. Eat your hearts out!!!
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Does seem odd. Other forums I frequent regard the 'General' topic as a place for members to just have a chat, not necessarily on the forum topic. Maybe we could have a new area called just 'Chatter' or 'Bar Andalucia' or something where anything goes (well, almost anything). :?:
Brian.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:56 pm

I'm glad you said 'almost anything' brian. I am one of the guilty ones who enjoy a bit of clean banter but would hate it to deteriorate into a filthy free for all.
I have been advocating just what you have suggested for a long time and have been shot down in flames for even thinking about it.
Some people don't want to join in but don't want others to have the facility either.
What they tend to ignore is that if this facility were to be provided then the more serious rooms would not be spoiled so often, or those who did would soon stand out like sore thumbs. Perhaps this is why SOME (not all) of them are against it.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 am

I am with you Spanish. Sometimes the bureaucracy, traffic holdups, maniac drivers, telephone sales calls, and finding somebody has finished the last bottle of rioja could get you down. It is no good trying to wind the missus up either, if she is in a good mood she just ignores me, a bad mood can cause severe bruising. Life can be too serious. Perhaps we can get A.Com to divert the postings from the miserable b******s who shall remain nameless. Maybe we can ask for A Very Silly Forum and restrict it to those who enjoy a chuckle.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:37 am

Such a topic would also give admin a place to move parts of threads that have strayed off topic elsewhere but are still being enjoyed by the chatterers of this parish rather than stopping it dead by deleting them. Or even a simple post from admin to 'continue this in Chatter please folks'. It works well in other forums I frequent.
Brian.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 am

One thing I don't understand and something that has not been explained is WHY the threads were pulled.
Unless I have missed something very sinister in them they seemed to contain no content which anyone in their right mind could deem offensive to the masses.
To be fair to A dot com, I can only assume that they were pulled after the idiots who leapt in on the PC bandwagon caused a slanging match with the paticipants and that does not make good reading for newcomers and advertisers alike.

I like this site, I also love Spain but if having a laugh were ever to be outlawed there my house would be "Se Vende" before you could say Albondigas :wink:

Again I state I could not see any reason other than my hunch above why these threads were pulled, I would complain myself if I thought a thread were not right and proper for a family forum, i.e. racsist, downright vulgar or posts of any sinister meaning with ulterior motives.
What happened here in a nutshell in the beginning was a self-mocking thread about ourselves and our spouses (my OH thought it was hilarious), this thread was joined in by a lot of the great ladies on this site too.........then Sir Gallahad charges in with a misplaced and ill judged concept he is defending womenkind from the "onslaught" and tries cack handedly to point out how life should be lived and how he lives his........that's when the sparks flew :idea:

It struck a chord with me when Beachcomber posted above in this thread.
This man must be the singularly most helpful person on this site, I am always amazed that he gives such good sound advice to all and sundry with such regularity and with a nice way about him........well done mate :!:

He is one of the few who is silent on the funny threads but note he does not criticise them....................I think he succinctly explained his reasons why above.

At the end of the day the tail is wagging the dog here I feel. I liken it to Mr. Angry of Tunbridge Wells who will write in to the BBC asking for a Soap show with 10 million viewers to be pulled because the lead character drives an un PC gas guzzling 4x4......in the real world these people are laughed at.

Keep it clean (ish) :wink: , keep a sense of humour and keep it respectful and I can't see the problem.
I will finish by saying that I endorse the above sentiments of possibly a seperate area for a joky chat may be a good idea, where PC crusaders enter only at their own risk........................I'll get me coat :oops:

Kenny

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:48 am

Kenny:

I assume most are being deleted because they are 'off topic' in that they don't relate directly or indirectly to Andalucia? It's a pity because a forum flourishes, like any group or club, not only due to it's participants having a common interest but also many of them become online (and sometimes offline) friends and this gives continuity and character to a forum. A chatter topic would allow banter without interfering with the main business of the forum and, as you say, thems that don't like or need that sort of thing needn't enter.
Last edited by rafiki on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 am

I find this thread most encouraging. I have fought long and hard for just such a facility on here. I have been 'Booted Off' and then re-incarnated 3 or 4 times. Usually I was booted off because of my refusal to give in to the purists and PC lunatics who think they own the site.

There are as Kenny says some extremely helpful and knowledgable members who though they may not join in with the banter, they don't knock it. I think they may even read and secretly enjoy some of it.

There are also those who think that their way is the only way. They quite wrongly believe that wisdom comes automatically with age. Some are PC fanatics some just lunatics.

A.com needs to realise that they have a much larger membership than just a dozen or so forum snobs. The view count on the deleted threads shows that there is an interest in a bit of harmless banter. With a seperate thread for such banter, the serious threads could and should be left alone, though the odd humorous inclusion could be acceptable so long as it is not just a sarcastic or poisonous tirade against an individual.

I enjoy laughing at myself as much as at others. My problem has always been my total lack of respect for the morons and snobs and I have always responded to their abuse in like kind. This is something I may need to work on.
By deleting whole threads rather than just the offending few postings, A.com are doing a dis-service to the good and useful members who have contributed with excellent intent and for the benefit of the A.com community. Laughter is a God given right. Humour is a matter of taste.
If a particular humorous suject is not to your liking but is being enjoyed by many others, then ignore it, don't join in.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:25 am

I just think it would be polite for A.com moderators, if and when they exercise editorial control to add the line "Edited by A.com x times, last time xxxxx" as happens if I do my own editing - at least then I would spend less time wondering if I really put what is now there, and give me a guide as to what the blue pencil boys find acceptable? Part of one of my posts is there, the remainder has gone AWOL, but to be fair so has a ridiculous repost from the original poster who had a no-sense-of-humour moment!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm

alaninspain wrote:So far I think I have beaten A.Com regarding deletions to my comments, both serious and in fun. Do you think they have left me alone out of sympathy for the afflicted, or is is that I have posted when they are asleep?
Moderator's pet Alan :?: :) :) :) :wink:
Brian.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:46 am

Why don't you just start a thread called, say, "Not PC"", and the few of you who like that sort of stuff can get on with it.

Others, who may not like it, can ignore it, and then everyone will be happy.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am

Alan
The 'FEW' of us showed as quite a few judging by the viewing figures. Most people who did not like 'That sort of thing', actually did ignore it. The FEW who did not like it but did not understand that they could ignore it posted with the full intent of causing disruption to the thread thus resulting in the threads being deleted.
It is no good believing that because you are PC minded that the majority of silent members agree with you. If they did then the viewing figures in these tongue in cheek threads would not be so high.
Political Correctness is basically pandering to vociferous minority action groups by a government who realise that these minority groups are the floating vote who's votes can be bought with tax payers money thus deciding the result of an election.
Political Correctness does not mean that the particular view or crusade is in fact right.
Everyone is entitled to have strong feelings about something, but care should be taken that we do not insist that these strong feelings be turned into a law affecting the genuine majority.
Because a large number of members choose not to contribute but are happy to glean and just view other peoples efforts doesn't mean they agree or disagree with the views of the poster.
If you remember, a fella called Adolf had strong anti Semitic views and beliefs which he forced upon the vast silent majority in Germany resulting in WW2 and the Holocaust.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:06 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:One thing I don't understand and something that has not been explained is WHY the threads were pulled.
Unless I have missed something very sinister in them they seemed to contain no content which anyone in their right mind could deem offensive to the masses.

Kenny
Maybe Admin's M-I-L read it - and then read him the riot act :wink:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:13 pm

Oh come off it cassandra, which red blooded male would be scared of his mother in law or even his wife in this day and age? :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :lol:

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Perhaps I should re-phrase that:

Which red blooded male other than me, would be scared of his mother in law or even his wife in this day and age? :lol:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Rafiki - I am not moderator's pet - some would say I do not know the word moderation - a foul slur, as I prefer drinking in the late evening in a horizontal position - it is more of a challenge.