Travel Ryanair with just hand luggage and NOT pay the £4 fee

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rafiki
Resident

Travel Ryanair with just hand luggage and NOT pay the £4 fee

Postby rafiki » Mon May 07, 2007 7:48 am

http://tinyurl.com/2vo52s

I had never noticed this get-out. It allows one to travel with hand luggage only and not pay the £2-each-way 'priority boarding' fee. I think, though, one does have to join the check-in queue to get a boarding pass.
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon May 07, 2007 11:20 am

Yep, we were caught out once with that until someone pointed out that we needed to click on the small print below the luggage info, and so we are flying in June with just hand luggage and no extra charge

Have just come back from 2 weeks in Granada and going out from Liverpool if one suitcase was slightly over the limit they were adding the other suitcase and as long as they didn't total over 30kg they didn't seem bothered. We only brought one back and that was slightly over but again didn't bother.
After cramming my handbag into my hand luggage at
Liverpool (only 1 piece of luggage allowed) I then watched as others waltzed through with 2 items and some of the sizes of hand luggage were absolutely enormous.
Hardly anyone seems to bother with prioriy boarding, they have also stopped calling the first 60 seat no. out so it doesn't seem to matter when you check in or queue up.

Still no complaints from me about Ryanair, except I booked early for the June flight and now find they have reduced them and could have flown for £40 cheaper this time, however it is swings and roundabouts and we are flying back from Granada in early October for 1 euro + taxes (booked seperately)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon May 07, 2007 11:28 am

Can you confirm that it is necessary to go to check-in doing it that way? I often feel that the couple of quid is worth it just to arrive at the airport much later and go straight to security.
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon May 07, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Rafiki, yes, you would still need to use the check in desk for this, I think you get a different print-out ticket if you pay for priority, saw people with a yellow slip when priority boarding, but as we live nearly 2 hrs away from our nearest airport we always arrive in good time to allow for any traffic delays.
We are usually near the front of the check in queue and by the time we've had a coffee it seems time to board, in fact I never get time to have a look at all the new shops or browse the mags.
Our summer and winter flights always seem to be at a quiet time so the airport is never full, but I could see it would be an advantage to pay the little extra to go straight through if you flew from a huge busy airport.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon May 07, 2007 3:06 pm

Did you follow the link through to the new Ryan air fan club?
http://www.ihateryanair.com/
Its still under construction, but it could give hours of entertaining reading in the future. Especially with Ryan airs penchant of moving a city's airport to a +/- 2 hours (100 miles) distance from where you really want to be :cry:

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

thanks

Postby pilgrim » Sun May 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Thanks for that Brian, very hard to find!!!!

Regards Peter

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 am

Concord, my hubby is sitting beside me in the internet cafe booking a Ryanair flight and could not get past the no bags bit... I knew I had read somewhere what to do, so he now has a flight without baggage. Thanks :D

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon May 21, 2007 11:50 am

There will, if rumours are correct, be one massive reason for not flying Ryanair - people on board using mobile phones...........ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon May 21, 2007 4:45 pm

Yes Peteroldracer, I think they are supposed to be starting this service from July, there will be millions of Dom Joly lookalikes with giant phones, screaming " I'm on the phone, in a plane"

Purgatory!!!!!!

They should all be issued with parachutes and if start talking loudly, shoved out at 30,000ft. On second thoughts, forget the parachute.

The trouble is, if Ryanair start, others will follow no doubt.