Spain introduces API on flights into the country...

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rafiki
Resident

Spain introduces API on flights into the country...

Postby rafiki » Wed May 23, 2007 7:33 am

Brian.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Wed May 23, 2007 8:15 am

Thank god I fly into Gibraltar and walk over the border! :lol:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 am

You are only putting it off though Dealer: Spain is implementing these measures this year, the rest of Europe must do it by next summer.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Wed May 23, 2007 9:09 am

Oh heck! More blooming forms or do they just scan the bar code on your passport for all the infomation required?
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 9:09 am

What in effect does this mean for the traveller :?:

Kenny

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed May 23, 2007 9:34 am

I posted a similar thread yesterday but as I don't know how to do links (somebody tell me!!!) I had just read it in the Mail on line.

You have to fill in a form with Name, Address, D.O.B. nationality and passport no.

There are scanning machines to do this at the check-in desks but apparently there is a shortage and a 3 month waiting list for them.

Hopefully you may be able to do them on line with ryanair etc but the holiday companies may struggle with this because of the sheer numbers.

At least it couldn't be any worse than the visa form for America, they actually asked if you were a drug dealer!!!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed May 23, 2007 9:38 am

Can you get the forms in advance? There are 5 of us and we all have really long names, I will be getting daggers from behind us :shock: , it's stressful enough with 3 kids in tow :roll:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 23, 2007 9:42 am

They were talking about this on the BBC News t'other day - if I got it right, you are fine if you have the latest all-singing all-dancing biometric passport - anything older and you have to fill in some paperwork to give additional information. It will probably be like that required by the wonderfully-welcoming US immigration service, who have always made visitors wonder why they have bothered to travel to somewhere so reluctant to let you in!
Delays are inevitable, I reckon, as there are too many people who do not read information sent to them before flying (booking acknowledgement etc), so will get to the check-in desk then hold everyone else up because they don't know what they are doing!
No doubt more information will filter through, although as my home is now Spain, and I have no intention of leaving it, "Am I Bovvered? Do I look Bovverred? Is my face Bovverred?" :roll:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

passport

Postby Julie » Wed May 23, 2007 9:45 am

They have been scanning the passports for a while now, maybe that is some sort of trial thats going on.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed May 23, 2007 9:48 am

Well,
thank goodness I have a new passport, my old photo made me look like an inmate of Cell Block H and my hubby like a member of the Mafia.
I'm amazed they let us leave the country , but maybe they were glad to be rid of a couple of 'Most Wanted' look-a-likes

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 am

Another typical ex. pat comment :roll:

Anyway whats this bio-thing passport. Ours are 4 years old with a hologram on them which gets scanned, is that it?

To be honest I can't see them getting every passenger in the queue to fill out these forms one at a time. With the time it takes just to show your passport to the passport control guys at Malaga this would take you a month to get through.

Kenny

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 am

I did notice that when we saw off some family last week at AGP they got the full "belts off, shoes off, frisk" treatment! I was just waiting for the rubber gloves to appear........things are obviously getting tighter, and the travel man on the BBC suggested allowing at least another hour on top of the now-current two, so I do not see the security people being bothered about how long it takes, only doing what they are told to do.
I can't help wondering if the intention is to reduce carbon emissions by getting prospective passengers to give up on the idea of flying, as the pre-flight time plus luggage-recovery time will soon be twice the flight time! Alternatively, it could be that secretly the airlines are being bought by railway companies, and they are gradually making the train more competitive on total time for a journey.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 10:12 am

At the end of the day it will still be a quicker and nicer experience than waithing in the queue to pick something up at a Spanish Post office.

Kenny

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed May 23, 2007 10:13 am

Spain, or at least Iberia, have been operating this system internally for some time. It works very simply with the right software, you just have to enter the type of ID your using and the number, assuming you're booking online. The one thing you have to remember is to take that same ID when you fly, you can't book with your residencia card and then fly with your passport.

We only booked with Monarch 2 days before this news was released but there is no facility on their website for giving all the required information. I hope this means they are all geared up for it at the airport as we fly back a week after it comes into force. I don't mind necessary security but will be annoyed if we are delayed by having to fill in extra forms when it could have been avoided by good planning.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am

Another reason for Britain to introduce ID cards :?: :?: :?:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed May 23, 2007 11:36 am

The info required is exactly that required on the Ryanair Check 'N Go online check-in system.
Brian.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed May 23, 2007 11:42 am

We'll be flying Monarch again in June...after the 19th :( . I've just checked on their site along with other airlines about this new Spanish system and to be honest to a thicko like me it is as clear as *beep* mud.

If they want things to run smoothly why can't they give a blow by blow concise description of what they expect people to do :idea:

We still had numpties holding the queues up at Manchester last time whilst security had to take gallons of liquids out of their hand luggage and those rules had been blasted al over the press.

If Spain carry on trying to make things this awkward for people having a place there then I'll be selling up and looking elsewhere to be honest....it's not just this it's everything that you try to do there. People blast the UK but its red tape is a doddle compared to Spain.

It's a shame too as our village as with the other country villages is a dream and inhabited by great people.

Kenny

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed May 23, 2007 11:49 am

Just think what it will be like at security with the big Liverpool-Athens match. so pleased I wasn't flying from Liverpool.

Ryanair have it on their news-site, that Athens had changed some return flights therefore making the outward bound ones change.
I'm sure lots of fans wouldn't have checked this late info., I would definitely not like to be one of the check-in staff.

avellana
Resident

API - Advance Passenger Information

Postby avellana » Wed May 23, 2007 12:08 pm

I read the info here

http://news.opodo.co.uk/articles/2007-0 ... -wants.php

I think you will find Spain won't be the only country to introduce this:-

"API is set to become commonplace when travelling to European countries in the near future after officials agreed to introduce a pan-European scheme.

However this is not due to come into force until 2008."

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed May 23, 2007 12:31 pm

.......must remember to put a couple of pens in the hand luggage....
anyway, anyway, love from me.