Another Ryanair Rip-off!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rafiki
Resident

Another Ryanair Rip-off!

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:45 am

Just booked our first September flight. In addition to charging on-line check-ins for priority boarding (which we declined), the charge for CC AND Switch/Maestro payment is now £8 EACH!!

Interestingly there is no charge for paying with a Visa ELECTRON card. I don't know what the Electron card is. How is it different from the usual Visa card?
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Rafiki, I've noticed Ryanair don't charge for Visa Electron and tried to find out what exactly it is.

Seems to be just a debit card, but have read different reviews about them, some saying they weren't accepted in that many places, yet some countries swear by them, I think you can also get pre-loaded ones as well.

We always pay by debit card now, cheaper but of course your money is taken immediately, although with a credit card it does depend when your statement etc is due, sometimes we can get 5 weeks free credit and sometimes 2 days, so it can be swings and roundabouts.

You do always need to be aware of new charges but I do think other airlines are catching up and the rising cost of fuel has to be clawed back somehow.
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: debit cards... they now charge the same for debit cards (Switch/Maestro) as for credit cards :(
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:54 pm

We have just booked a flight and they charged £1.20 per person per flight total £4.80 ,with our Visa Debit card, so it's cheaper than Switch/Solo but not as cheap as Visa Electron :?

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:50 pm

That's odd. I have another booking up on the screen now showing every payment method except Electron at £8 per person return.

viz:
------
If you use a Visa Debit / Delta card you have to pay a total handling fee of: 16.00 GBP

This is calculated on a per passenger per sector (flight) basis

You have 2 passenger in your booking and are charged 4.00 GBP per passenger per flight
----
Brian.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:40 pm

When my children, aged 17 first opened a bank account they were issued with a Visa Electron card. As soon as possible they changed it as the Electron cards were accepted in so very few places. Not garages, not in most shops or restaurants. It is interesting that Ryanair have made it an exception. It's probably because so few people have one.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:47 pm

all the shops i have worked in in the UK never ever excepted electron cards.Used to be a real pain when you rang in all the items,and they produced the electron card... :evil:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Visa electron is not a credit card, it is issued as a limited visa facility through your own bank, it can only be used as long as you have funds in your user account and few businesses accept it, it will also probably be rejected after midnight in most places, it's virtually useless :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Just checked on Ryanair site and indeed they are now charging the same £4 fee for debit cards, the twerps.

Also stated
As a special offer to Visa Electron card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply a Debit Card charge.

We had booked our latest flight for next February on Wednesday 2nd July, and they have charged £4.80 debit card fee for 2 return flights, so they must have just changed it in the last few days.

I would suggest everyone rushes out a gets a Visa Electron card just for paying for flights but noticed Ryanair are now stating for a limited time only.

I told you their staff were monitoring this site :shock: :shock: :shock:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:50 pm

I've been looking around the web and haven't found anywhere that I can apply for an Electron card. Lots of talk about it but nowhere to apply. Could someone point me to a place where they are available please?
Brian.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Brian, I have a Visa Electron from the Ciaxa use it for Internet shopping/flights only and my Pay Pal account. Manage it on line, daughter has one, so should she get stuck somewhere without money I can transfer money on to it instantly. Cost 6 euros a year. The only problem was Easyjet, but when I rang them, it was because it was a Spanish Card, not because it was it was an Electron Card they would not accept it, they were quite rude when I phoned them so I have never bothered with them again.

Seems to be widly accepted where we are.

Recently when I booked with Monarch I had the option of paying with Pay Pal.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 am

Sorry Brian forgot to say go to their web site, www.laCaixa.es Its available in English.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Mary. Must one have an account with Caixa to qualify do you know?
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

rafiki, just found interesting thread on MoneySaving Expert site.

quite a discussion going on about various debit/credit charges and budget airlines, not just Ryanair.

This is about Visa Electron and apparently Halifax offer this card with their Easycash account.

Quote from a reply

electron has become my best friend - I've saved the equiv of a one way flight to london using my electron card over the last number of months.

Though I have noticed that jet2 charge for every card, so does aerlingus...

fizzbang
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fizzbang » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Why do you all moan about it..Ryanair is cheap...Cheaper than all other airlines...Where else can you get a flight for £1?

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:11 pm

Fizzbang, I don't think anyone is moaning about Ryanair's prices, it's just the way they sneak extra charges in without mentioning it, they certainly do not mention it on the website under their 'news' tab, just congratulating themselves on the cheapest pricing.

We all wait with bated breath to see how else they're going to up their prices next, it's like a game really :wink:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Just came across this source for an Electron card:
http://www.cashpassportcard.com/uk/index.html
Brian.

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Sounds o.k. but they seem to charge for everything.
Try the Halifax as suggested earlier.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/easycash.asp

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Perhaps but I don't fancy opening an new bank account just to get an Electron card.
Brian.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:45 am

I have had a Visa Electron card issued originally as part of the ordinary current account by BancoHalifax opened five years ago. I´ve never had any problem with it in Spain, have used it successfully in every ATM available and never had it refused in any shop, garage etc. And that´s with weekly use. It is just a debit card. Easyjet don´t charge for using it either to book flights. My partner has a Maestro card which many places refuse. I´ve used my card in the UK with no problem but obviously not often and always to book Ryanair flights just to deny them those extra sources of money. :)
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"