Nothing Much Unusual Happened

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Nothing Much Unusual Happened

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:06 am

Well we had a very uneventful journey there and back from UK /Spain, maybe the long trek is becoming too familiar to us, and somehow the journey now seems shorter, probably because as the 'solo' driver I go into Auto Pilot Mode now, and anyway my trusty white chariot know the way on it's own.

I drive slower now than I've ever driven, probably due to the fact I'm trying to keep the traveling costs down,and yet we seem to arrive at out destination quicker, can this be true, or is it just a 'figment' of my imagination ?

Still we managed to stop in sleepy French villages where we sipped our expensive Cafe Au Lait, whilst watching the world go by, and then we stopped to dip our toes in the rather chilly waters at quaint Basque coves, in Northern Spain. Lovely place , nice polite people,but why do the very small old men wear over-sized black berets, which look as if they were purchased from a seaside joke shop ?
And I feel it difficult to take the police in this region seriously, with their bright red uniforms that make them look like Butlins Red Coats, mind you , they were heavily armed, so I was very respectful to them.

What did mar the journey was having to pass several quite nasty accidents, mainly in Spain, caused I would say by driving too close and too fast.
We were unfortunate to have to drive past a really sickening accident , where there had been several fatalities,and we were forced to drive very slowly around one wrecked car, on the ground lay the lifeless body of a young woman, her eyes open and one arm out-stretched as if trying to reach her two young children, who were being comforted by an elderly man, at the roadside.The sight of their tear stained faces will remain with us for a long time, and for the next few hours we drove in silence,our thoughts with those young children, whose lives had so suddenly changed, and I know that the traumatic events of this day will be etched in their minds forever..

Please drive carefully and thoughtfully...

Regards,
Gordon

dido72
Resident

Re: Nothing Much Unusual Happened

Postby dido72 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 am

How sad, it just goes to show how so many lives can change in a split second, my heart goes out to those poor children. Appreciate what you have got every day and live every moment to the full our lives are so fragile!!

jp williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jp williams » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:15 am

G and P,
Glad to learn that you`ve both arrived safe and well if somewhat shocked.
Sadly both the Spanish and Fench cultures seem such that drivers feel the need to pass whatever is in front of them and with their right foot on the floor.Anticipation and concern for other road users does not seem to be part of their makeup.What shall it profit a driver if by saving 5 minutes they lose eveything?

Take care at all times.

John
JP

Cliffs Dad
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Cliffs Dad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:09 pm

That must have been a terrible sight to see. It amazes me that such laid back people as the Spanish get so manic when they get behind the wheel of a car! :?

I know its not all of them, but you only tend to rememeber the mad drivers!!
is the bar open yet?!!

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:51 pm

Nice to know you arrived home safely Benidorm nice to have you back.

Re the accident, as others have said my thoughts go out to the poor children, how terrible, as you say they do drive so close to you here.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:46 pm

We are glad you have got back safely and hope the memories of the accident do not keep
recurring, the longer I live the more I try to remember the good things in life. Mind you,
the OH thinks it is a good day if I can remember anything at all.
As to your journey, you do tend to drive on auto pilot on familiar roads, I have often reached
points on my journey when I have not taken in particular junctions etc., maybe because I am
thinking of something else at the time.
As to the berets in Northern Spain, obviously you are not au fait with the strange tastes of
other peoples for entertainment. Albania worship Norman Wisdom, and you have overlooked
that there is a Frank Spencer Impression Society from Irun right along the Galician coast.
:lol:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks for those kind words folks....Nice to know that you care. :oops:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Not good to have to see and as a paramedic here in York, my OH sees such things too often. Glad you enjoyed the rest of the trip down.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:34 am

Mirandamac,
Having to deal with the aftermaths of road accidents etc., on a daily basis must be quite chilling and unnerving. What I don't understand is drivers who seem to be quite unaffected by the carnage they see on the roads, seconds after passing an accident they seem to carry on with their diabolical driving, and I'm not just meaning Spanish drivers. :(

Regards,
Gordon.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:32 am

Definitely - I've often noticed the 'slow down' effect of accidents - but how short a time that lasts. Is it because people just block it out or because we all believe 'it can't happen to us'? I've just driven over 2500 miles round France and was lucky enough to see no serious accidents and whilst many of the roads were quiet and very good, I saw some "interesting" driving!

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:45 pm

Nice one Ben, glad you got home safe and sound, shame you had to have your trip spoilt, with sad memories,i don't find driving fun on todays roads.