Fuel Policy - Car Rental

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Marj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Fuel Policy - Car Rental

Postby Marj » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:58 am

I was very disappointed to learn on arrival at Malaga aiport that Record have now changed their fuel policy to paying for a full tank, which was 60 euros and then returning the car empty. I have booked with them a number of times in the past because of their fair fuel policy. On returning the car we in fact left more than a half full tank therefore they now only have to put in the equivilent fuel and then charge the next customer for a full tank for 60 euros. I think this system is daylight robbery. I think I had read on this forum that this scam was being discussed in Madrid. Does anyone know of a car hire company that you could either pay for quarter tank of fuel and leave it with a quarter tank. This seems to be a much fairer system.
Marj

Ama
Resident

Re: Fuel Policy - Car Rental

Postby Ama » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Unfortunately all companies seem to be doing the same. This happened to me in UK too.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Hellehollis charge you for a full tank then refund you if you bring it back full (or refund you half if you bring it back half full).

They are now the only major company in Malaga that do not steal fuel from customers.

It is sad to hear that Record have commenced fuel theft.

It has to be said that sometimes you have to grin and bear it. For 25 days next spring helle are charging €363 and carjet €214. Carjet will undoubtedly use an operator implementing fuel theft, but at that differential its worth it (but always fill in the complaints form at the airport complaining about having paid for fuel stolen by the operator.)

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:58 pm

Just come back from our hols. booked car throuigh carjet and were allocated Solmar as the car supplier. They allow full/full on a max of 4 day hire and full/empty on 5 days or more. the car was only 100 euros for 10 days so overall still a cheap hire. we returned the car with a 1/4 of a tank of fuel (10 euros worth?) so a 1 euro a day scam. In our case, hardly worth bleating about is it?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Yeah.

But many folks hire for a week and only use half a tank. Since car hire costs about €100 for a week and half a tank has cost you €30 it's added 30% to the cost.

When comparing a weeks rental always add €30 to €40 to the carjet quote when comparing with hellehollis or one of the other full/full operators.

And anyway €10 is €10. Would you be so calm if someone just picked that outta your pocket (which is in effect what they do).

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:51 pm

This is what Record told us in the email confirming our booking for next month:

In order to offer the best service possible at Malaga Airport, the vehicle
> will be provided with a full tank of fuel with the following options:
>
> For rentals with a duration of 6 or more days, you will be asked to pay
> for the tank and the car have to be returned as empty as possible.
>
>
> For rentals with a duration of less than 6 days, the following options
> would apply:
>
> *Full-Half: Customer will pay for half a tank of fuel and the vehicle will
> have to be returned half.
>
> *Full-Empty: Customer will pay for a full tank of fuel and it will have to
> be returned as empty as possible.
>
> *Full-Full: Customer will have to return the vehicle with a full tank of
> fuel.
>
> Fuel prices may vary depending on the vehicle's model and on the market
> prices at the moment of collection. However, Record Go always guarantees a
> cheaper fuel price than the one found at the Airport gas station.
>
> Regarding the Full-Half option, Record Go would like to inform that, in
> the event the vehicle is returned will less fuel than agreed upon
> collection, the missing fuel plus a 15-euro handling fee will be charged
> to the customer.
>
> In the same way, with regard to the Full-Full option, if the vehicle is
> not returned full, the missing fuel and a 15-euro handling fee will be
> charged to the customer.
>
> On the other hand, Record will not refund the difference if you happen to
> return the vehicle's tank with more fuel. Customers must check the fuel
> level when collecting the car and if it does not correspond to what it is
> written on the rental agreement they have to report the office associate
> so we can amend the rental agreement.
>

As we are going for a month, it doesn't really matter to us !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

yorkie
Tourist

Postby yorkie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:51 pm

This year I used CarMalaga.com & Marbesol after trying to find full/full, they were great, for 13 days 160eur. you meet them thro the first doors from arrival and they are waiting for you with a minibus which takes you all of 5mins to there office it took 15mins from arriving at the airport to getting in the car and driving. dead easy I will use them again

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm

I think it is swings and roundabouts regarding the full-empty, empty-empty, full-full or whatever regarding fuel……..

The swing is that I have just rented a car with Hispacar and paid for a full tank……..19 euros. Can’t ever remember the last time it cost that to fill a vehicle. Plus the rental was just 220.00 for the month. I have been on “long term” for nearly 18months now. After I claim back the IVA and personal tax and I can’t buy a new car, for what about 150e a month, and keep it on the road for that I think.

Down side of empty-empty fuel is that I have just returned from the UK where that was the policy from a particular company. Picked up a car, empty, at 01.00 in the morning……and ran out of fuel before I got to nearest petrol station. They said it was my problem and technically I suppose it was. Then with threats of up to £100 - £500 recovery charges by the company it was all I needed….resolved at 05.30….

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Full/Full is fair

Full/empty is petrol theft - no more and no less.

Empty/empty is stark, raving, idiotic, tub-thumping, complete and utter lunacy.

I wouldn't even get in a hire car that was nearly empty. Let alone at 01 in the morning!!!!!!

Thank God no one operates empty/empty at Malaga. I'd be even more critical than of full/empty fuel theft.

wendyakemp
Resident

Postby wendyakemp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 pm

I use Aurigacrown regularly and if my rental is over the 5 days or whatever I negotiate the full/full and get a refund on the tank on return. I always get them to write it on my docket (as with the damage before I leave for my trip.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 am

Wendy how do you do that and when? Do you ask them when you are providing credit cards and stuff at the airport collection desk, and do they simply say yes? Because that's not my experience. The only time they have given me full/full is when i have demanded to complain in the official complaints book about fuel theft. Smiling and asking nicely did not work; they simply said "at this price eees bargain".

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Might just be you then BBabe.........

Aurigacrown........Not only did I only get charged 19 euro for a full tank [and it later cost me more than that to re-fill from a 3rd] but they also refunded me, without question, for a nearly full tank of fuel when they re-called and collected a vehicle I had [they had sold it]......and replace the vehicle with another that had a nearly full tank for free.

I run tours and rent Motorhomes [not advertizing admin as I do not deal with the "local" population] and I have to say that I have tried every fuel option and the biggest rip-off merchants are the puplic. Full-Full? Yeh right......NEVER returned full. Nearly Empty - Empty? had client push vehicle into yard. Mark-Mark? No mate, it was not on half when I picked it up [and signed]......etc etc etc.

And I won't even start on the trash 'n damage........Yeh......the customer is alway right!

Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

eddiejames
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eddiejames » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 am

Hi,
Just seen this post. We recently had to rent a car in Alicante and return it to Malaga due to a breakdown. We used Aurigacrown and they were very helpful indeed. We were charged 60 Euros for fuel and due to us putting too much fuel in a couple of days before it was returned, it went back with over half a tank full of fuel. We put this down to experience (diesel cars use a lot less fuel than petrol!) and were pleasantly surprised when we received a 60Euros fuel refund on our card a few days later! Can't be bad :wink:

Marj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Marj » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 am

Well, that is good news. I have just booked through douspain.com from Malaga as I did last time. Last time they booked us through Record on return we left the car more than half full of petrol, with no refund. I have just booked again through douspain.com and this time we are booked through Aurigacrown. Glad to hear that they were fair to you.
Marj

axarquian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby axarquian » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Just completed an 8 day hire with Marbesol at Malaga airport. 62 euros. Returned car with same amount of fuel as at time of hire, only filled up with 25 euros therefore a saving of 35 euros on Auriga, Record etc who I believe charge 60 euros for a Tank of petrol. Also, booked a bottom of the range category 'A' car and was upgraded to category 'E' free of charge. Brilliant service, will use Marbesol again..