TSMS Lakonia Disaster.1963

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: TSMS Lakonia Disaster.1963

Postby Jool » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:54 pm

Beni, maybe you could go to the place you associate with them and hold a service meaningful to yourself, perhaps some flowers on the water or similar, whatever is best for you

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby geo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:36 am

found this which may be of intrest, not sure as my Spanish is crap, but have a look
G
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

geo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby geo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:47 am

here is a book about the incident
LAKONIA
Geoffrey Bond.
OldbourneBook Co.Ltd., London, 1966.
Harcdocer, dustjacket, 198 pages, a few mono prints.
During the evening of 19 December, 1963 the twin-screw Motor Ship Lakonia slid through the grey waters of the Solent, bound for sunshine and warmer seas.Six-hundred and-fIfty-one passengers were aboard the liner on her Christmas cruise.For some it was their first-ever cruise For others it was to be their last. The Lakonia began to burn on Sunday, 22 December. Four days later she was a pitiful, smoke-grimed wreck, wallowing at the mercy of the waves. On Sunday, 29 December, just a week after the initial disaster, she slid beneath the waters of the North Atlantic to her last resting-place. The story of the tragedy of the Lakonia is not that of the great cataclysm, striking unexpectedly and quickly dealing the final death blow. Rather is it the story of unfortunte originally minor circumstances, slowly building up until they finally overwhelmed the ship, her crew and passengers. But the pattern of crew and passenger heroism is at least as great as that of any perhaps more dramatic disaster. Reluctant to leave the ship, the crew and many passengers tried desperately to overcome events and save her.The Lakonia book brings new and previously unpublished facts to bear on a tragic, but strange disaster. Above all, it is a graphic account of the strength and bravery of ordinary persons under threat of death. It is an open, objective and factual reconstruction of what happened. [ps]
How come there is always to much month left at the end of the money???

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Princess ..great, I hope that you find some info. for me, much appreciated....

Jool, That was a thoughtful response, certainly worth considering...

Geo,I've not seen the Spanish report before, certainly interesting, and with regard to the book, I was aware of it ,but I have not read it, I'll try and find a copy, thanks for that.

I'm no further ahead with my research, but it is great to have so much help from other members, it's quite 'heartwarming' ..

Regards,
Gordon.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Hi Gordon,

I put a post on a family history website I use, and unfortunately no-one could really help apart from the following comments:
There are many articles in the "Times Digital Archive" if you local library has a subscription
and
There is no mention of a Lakonia memorial in the Times. The last article was on 1st Dec. 1969, about the reduction of the prison sentence on the captain

It does look as tho there is no memorial :(

Good luck
Chris

By the way, that site has Santa smileys to choose from :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:50 pm

Just an update for you Beni!
Hubby has been into the Gibraltar Museum for you today,and has explained in detail what happened and what info you need.The lady was very interested and said,if she couldnt find out anything,she knew a man who would.She has took my email address and tel number and will contact me when she gets any info.xx fingers crossed for you...xx :wink:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Chrissie,
Thanks very much for your efforts,and I'm beginning to think that you are right about no memorial, shame really to let such a tragedy not be commemorated.

Princess,
Please thank your husband for going to so much trouble, I will be very interested to hear if the Museum Lady can throw any light on the matter..

Regards,
Gordon

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 am

Beni,i will post as soon as i hear anything.I have also been in touch with the Gibraltar Chronicle(paper)Its extremely old and has been published for a many many years.It looks very unlikely that there is a memorial in Gib for you,as someone wouldve known something(especially the museum)but at least we will know either way for you when they get back to me.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Just an update for you Beni.I have just recieved an email from Gibraltar Museum,this is what she wrote
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the tragedy of the TSMS Lakonia. Unfortunately, the information we know are the details you are already familiar with. We are not aware of any existing memorial to this tragedy in Gibraltar. However, I suggest you contact the Gibraltar Heritage Trust, They might be aware of any existing memorials, or any further information that might be of use to you.
so that is my next port of call.If i get a reply i will put that on here for you.It really looks like Gibraltar is the wrong place to be looking. :(

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:16 pm

Peachy, Thank you for your update, your help is really appreciated and I look forward to receiving any more info.that turns up.

'H'...Kindly e-mailed me with a copy of a reuters report dated 27th December 1963, in which it states that 52 of the bodies of the victims were buried in Gibraltar on the 26th December and one further body was buried in Morocco, I don't know where in Gib.the burial took place and I still don't know what happened to the others, however I suspect that they were probably re-patriated to the UK..
.'H' your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks to everyone for the posts on the forum and the many messages received, and I hope that they continue .

Regards,
Gordon

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Beni.
I did ask the in-law if he could get any information on this but I expect he has forgotten about it, not as sharp as he once was. But I'll give him a nudge.

Mhic.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:05 am

a copy of a reuters report dated 27th December 1963, in which it states that 52 of the bodies of the victims were buried in Gibraltar on the 26th December and one further body was buried in Morocco, I don't know where in Gib.the burial took place
O.K. Beni,Is there any way of you sending me a copy of this report via email?(will send you my email address)
If you can, i will then print it off and my husband said he will go back to the museum and heritage trust and go and find out some more info for you.Does this report contain any names?
If it does,we will go to the births deaths and marriage offices and see if there are any leads there for you.
Please dont think its too much trouble,we want to help you get to the bottom of this and it would be great to find out something for you.At least we are a stones throw away from Gib to find info out.If it means us going to the graveyard in Gib to look for you we will.xxxx

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Mhic,Cheers for that, much appreciated..

Peachy,
The reuters report was only basically what I've already written, no names mentioned, but at least it indicates that there was some burials in Gib.and it is very clear about the date. I didn't think about the Births , Deaths and Marriage office, an obvious place to look, Thanks...

Sorry if anyone is finding this boring,I know that it is a very old story, but it's very important to me..

Thanks Friends,
Gordon.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:07 am

Sorry if anyone is finding this boring,I know that it is a very old story, but it's very important to me..
Beni,why on earth would anyone find it boring,Its history???
and if they did,they dont have to read it do they..stop being so daft. :wink:

O.K..births deaths and marriages office it is then...will update as soon as i can.. :D

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am

The registry office in Gibraltar are really helpful provided you choose not too busy a time. I went in the other day and said my dad was born in Gib and could I see his birth certificate to find out where he used to live. Though I knew his birthday, I wasn´t too sure about the year as he died a long time ago. They took me into the back where the old records are kept and went through them with me until I found his entry. Then they showed me on a map where the address he lived in was, and the now defunct hospital where he was born.
I would suggest you go personally to Gib, Beni, as it makes all the difference if it´s you that are enquiring, not someone else, however nice they are to offer. The girls can´t hand out information just to anyone but can be swayed by a personal story.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:20 am

Beni,just an update for you.

I have recieved an email from the lady at Heritage trust in Gib
Thank you for your e-mail. I will make some enquiries and get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards
Possibly after xmas we should here something for you.
In the meantime,i am going into Gib on Monday again,providing they have not closed for the xmas hols,i will call into the births,deaths and marriage offices with your story and facts,and see what they can do for me. :wink: will post again as soon as i find anything out for you.xx

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:21 pm

O.K Beni!
Just recieved an email from Heritage Trust in Gib.
This is what the lovely lady has found out for you.
I have been in touch with the Superintendant of Cemeteries who has confirmed that there is no memorial or plaque in North Front Cemetery. He did say however that the dead were not buried in a mass grave, but individually. Some were exhumed and repatriated but apparently there are quite a few still buried there and have their individual headstones. I also checked out another location at the south entrance to the Dockyard where I recalled having seen some plaques but they were not related to the Lakonia.
So we know that some of the men were buried in Gib,but not altogether.When i get a minite,i will go to this graveyard and have a wander round(take my camera)and see if there are any males that have headstones,that died in 1963..It may have something written on the stone related to the disaster,like"died at sea" or something along those lines.I will take pics if i find anything for you.
xxx

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:25 pm

Peachy, what a helpfull little sweetie you are :) Have a lovely Christmas XX
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am

Peachy, what a helpfull little sweetie you are Have a lovely Christmas XX
Chrissie,as one of my favourite posters on here,i would like to wish you the same to you and your family too.

Beni,another update for you.I have just recieved another email from the lovely lady at heritage trust as i emailed and told her i would contact births,deaths and marriages office.This is what she said.
The North Front Cemetery should have a list of those associated with the Lakonia and some idea of where the tombstones are. I already asked at the births, deaths and marriages office. They couldn’t help and directed me to the cemetery.
The lovely lady has given me the telephone number and the name of the person i need to speak to,i have phoned but there is no answer.I will try again after xmas,or call in personally.Feels like we will get a result really soon for you. :wink:
Have a great xmas Beni,I expect you will post when you get a min.xxxxx

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Wow! well done! Expect Beni must be on his travels again.