TSMS Lakonia Disaster.1963

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
avellana
Resident

Re: TSMS Lakonia Disaster.1963

Postby avellana » Mon May 24, 2010 7:57 pm

Gordon
Happy to help you!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Gordon,
Just as an aside...I know RMS on British vessels was Royal Mail Ship but for the life of me i can't find out what TSMS is.
Any idea?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 25, 2010 5:54 am

Nimrod....
T.S.M.S.....Twin-Screw-Motor-Ship..
Regards,
Gordon

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue May 25, 2010 7:02 am

Thanks Gordon,
If I was 12 years old i would have clicked on to that.
All the best.

Margo
Tourist

Postby Margo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:49 pm

FAO: Barbara

Hello Barbara

I have just seen your post on the Lakonia tragedy. My husband, who is now 80, was on that ship with 2 friends, one of whom is buried in Gibraltar. We visited Gibraltar when we were on our honeymoon (1965) and located Enda Maguire's grave (Philip's friend).. his sister's had put a headstone on it. We actually were told where the doctor's grave was (your father), over near a wall. While on this ship, your dad had looked at the passenger list to see if there were any Irish names and then looked Philip and his friends up. We have alot of newspaper cuttings about the Lakonia and could photocopy these for you if you wished. My husband actually ended up in the water for 5 hours, it was tough going for him. The third friend got away safely. Philip was one of the last to get into the water as he couldn't swim and felt he didn't have much of a chance. But he's still here!!!

I hope this information is useful to you and hope to hear back from you.

Margaret

sundodger

Postby sundodger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 am

I have read with great interest in all the posts about the Lakonia, My father who is now well in to his 70's also served on HMS Centaur and it was only yesterday that we were talking of this tragedy and he was showing me some pictures that he has of the ship adrift and with smoke coming out of her.

He had never spoken of this time in his life when on christmas 1963 they were off loading the poor people lost in the tragedy in Gibralter it was by chance that the subject was brought up and it still upsets my father to this day.

I have shown my father this site and he to has read the posts and it moved him greatly,

Thank you for your time

Sundodger

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am

Small world. I had an uncle on the Centaur, a ship he hated, he may have talked with my parents about the Lakonia but he never mentioned it to me.

Mhic.

sundodger

Postby sundodger » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 pm

My dad said the Centaur was a happy ship he served on her for four years mainly out in the far east my dad was a LREM (radio/radar electrician). Do you remember what branch your uncle was? My dad still has a lot of photos of the Centaur and quite a few of the lads who served on her maybe might have one of your uncle??

Kind Regards

Sundodger

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Hello Sundodger,
Sorry , only just noticed your additions to the posting.

I hope that your Father wasn't too upset about talking about his experiences regarding the 'Lakonia' incident, it took me a long time to talk about it and I really had to find out where the victims had been buried, but thanks to a lot of help from other forum members I've been able to answer many questions that I needed answers to.
It was a very upsetting time for all of the crew, we had all only a few days before left behind our families in UK knowing that it would be a year before we saw them again, so when this happened the feeling of sadness amongst everyone was very apparent.
I was one of the youngest on board at 17 years of age and it all seemed very surreal to me, I had only joined the ship a few months before after spending nearly 12 months in the West Indies and the U.S.A on board the Frigate H.M.S Wizard...So much happened to me during my teenage years , it really was a lot to take in, much of it I have blanked out, but now as I get older, past events seem to have come back to haunt me, everyone tells me that it is better to talk about it, so I hope that your father feels better for discussing it with you...I'm sure that he will have much more to tell you about his life in the Navy.
Please pass on my Best Wishes to your Father.

Regards,
Gordon.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:25 am

Sundogger.
My uncle went into the RN 1938 so by the time he served on the Centaur he was an old superstitious matelot. Apparently a couple of men were killed when ship was being built and that made it an unlucky ship. Not sure what he did on the ship or whether he was a leading seaman or a petty officer at that time. I got married in 64' and we had a wedding present from him posted (I think)in Singapore so he was probably still on the Centaur than.

Mhic.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 am

Gordon I think you are an angel sent here to watch over us, inspire us and bring people together!!!
This is the 1st time I have ever seen this post and I am moved to tears, this is not the 1st time one of your posts has had me in floods and I'm sure it won't be the last!

Lovely to see so many people getting involved in the research and so many people with this disaster in common being able to speak to each other and share their stories.

You truly are an inspiration Gordon, even if it is only to me,
Diana xxx

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Diana,
Thank you for your kind words, much appreciated.

I really started this posting with the intention of just finding out some information to try to put my own mind at rest, rather selfish of me , I suppose.

However I have been contacted by very many people from all walks of life, who have been affected one way or the other by this tragedy .
I am so pleased that this has given the chance for so many people to contact each other to answer so many questions..

Thanks to everyone who has gone to the trouble of helping me with my quest.

Kind Regards,
Gordon.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 am

Dear Gordon and all the board members who have contributed to this thread.

We found this thread to be particularly interesting and acknowledge that, over the years, it has become a valuable historical record.

For this reason we have dedicated the October Monthly features to this thread and the story of the Lakonia Disaster.

The article is linked from the home page of Andalucia.com during October 2010 and can also be viewed directly from here. http://www.andalucia.com/history/tsms-lakonia.htm

Our thanks extend especially to Gordon for starting the thread.

Andaluia.com Admin

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 pm

What an excellent idea to put the Lakonia topic on Andalucia.com itself.
The power of the internet!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 pm

A.Com Admin....
Thank you for your interest in my posting and for dedicating it to your Monthly Features, it was very kind of you to go to the trouble of writing it up in such a thoughtful way...

I have been amazed at the response and being able to contact so many people involved with this incident has helped put my mind at rest, it really has troubled me for many years, I will never forget this tragedy, but at least now I am more at peace with it.

I never mentioned the incident to my family, but I know my Wife noticed that each Christmas Day I appeared to be very sad and distant, and I always tried to have a few minutes to reflect and remember the people who so tragically lost their lives.

On the day that we landed the victims at Gibraltar I remember hearing 'Silent Night' being played on the ships crew radio, and now everytime I hear it I shed a silent tear.....

Thank You,
Gordon...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

A new 2 part drama on BBC 2 over 2 nights starting Thursday 06 January 2011
9:00pm - 10:30pm
http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServl ... llpage.jsp

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Mark,
Thanks for posting the details of the Laconia sinking film....a different time and and different ship, but still very interesting and I will be watching it...

Regards,
Gordon...

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:52 am

Beni

There's a programme on Beeb 2, thursday I think, called the Sinking of the Laconia. The trailers involve a submarine, so I guess that is not your ship.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:53 am

Sorry... hadn't noticed the previous reply.... not awake yet!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reminder Rick, regretfully I'm on the road, so doubt that I will get to see it..pity it looks good...

Regards,
Gordon..