Córdoba Vacation

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Holly066

Córdoba Vacation

Postby Holly066 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:17 pm

hey everyone, i'm planning to visit córdoba this spring. i've watched a documentary featuring the "great mosque" there and i'm going to it for myself. anybody there who can tell me
-where i may purchase mosque tickets,
-what else i should see in córdoba and
-how i may get there from madrid int'l airport. thanks

Jennifer
Resident

Re: Córdoba Vacation

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:47 pm

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:25 pm

From Madrid (Atocha station) to Cordoba is now very quick via the AVE train. Renfe website will give you times and prices.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 pm

We've just had a couple of days in Cordoba (our first visit) and we absolutely loved it. Tickets for the Mosque are 8 euros, and you buy them outside. Just wander around the old centre, it's a beautiful place, and there is lots to see. It's also a good shopping centre, if you're into that. We stayed at the Occidental Hotel which is a couple of miles out of the centre, but there is a bus every 15 minutes which stops outside and goes directly to the centre and bus/rail station. We got a really good deal there (37 euros/night) with free parking, although presumably that won't matter to you. It's a lovely hotel, lots of gardens and a pool, and nice rooms. You can also get a train from Cordoba to Seville (less than an hour) if you've got time.
AlisonB

KarenD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KarenD » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi

We spent a few days in Cordoba a couple of year ago and stayed in Hotel Maimonides which is right opposite the Mezquita. It was a lovely hotel and very reasonably priced.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:34 pm

Yes, we have stayed there a couple of times, and we found it fine. And although they won't need it, there is parking below the hotel, if you do take a car, park it and forget it, everything is within walking distance. The gardens in the Alcazar are worth a look. Some photos here, http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/cordoba_spain_2005 will give you an idea, they are a few years old, but I doubt much has changed!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 pm

When I visit Cordoba (not that often) and want to see the Mezquita (Cathedral) I try to be at the main gate on the Andalucia Information office side to enter at 8.30.
It is free to enter then and you have some time to have a good wander round before being 'shown the door' after 9.00
Actually the Entrance ticket kiosk notice showing the opening hours states:

From Monday to Saturday inclusive from 08.30 to 10.00 AM entry to the cathedral is free , but only for independent visitors and in strict silence, during this period Group visits are not permitted.

As Easter is in April this is a very busy time on the railways and getting a seat on the AVE fast train is essential in advance. So if your trip is during Holy Week then be warned !! It's possible to make this using http://www.renfe.es . Am not sure if the Renfe people have now made it impossible for non Spanish cards to be used when booking as I use a Spanish bank. By using the Internet to book in advance you may be lucky to get a discounted fare.

Spending some time at Medina Azahara is great. Wonderful site overlooking the valley of the Guadalquivir and although much has gone at the site, you can still see some beautiful Islamic architecture. You can take a bus arranged by the tourist office leaving at 11.00am and need to spend at least 2 hours for this visit from downtown Cordoba.

ElCordobes

Postby ElCordobes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am

When you have entered the so-called Orange Courtyard (Patio de los Naranjos), you cannot miss the ticket kiosk (it is located next to the bell tower, so the tower gives you a good orientation).

Apart from the Mosque, Cordoba has plenty to see and do. Major attractions are the ruins of the former Palace of Medina Azahara (a few kms west of Cordoba), the Roman Bridge and Roman Temple, of course the old Jewish Quarter (Judería) with its synagogue, and the Alcazar fortress with
beautiful gardens. These are just a few, there are many more, including a number of museums.

Useful information regarding Cordoba attractions, accommodation, etc.can be found
here: http://www.cordoba24.info.

As for your trip from Madrid-Barajas, you can rent a car and travel here on the road. Recommendable, however, is a train ride. From the airport, take the underground/subway
line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios. Change here to line 10 (direction Puerta del Sur) and make another change at station "Tribunal". At "tribunal" change to line 1 (direction Valdecarros) and leave the train at Atocha Renfe. At Atocha station, board one of the fast AVE trains that bring
you to Cordoba in about 1.5 hours. As said, check out http://www.renfe.es for times
and fares.