Sierra Nevada updates in here

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Sierra Nevada updates in here

Postby Ulli » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:55 am

we have had rain in the village, we have had rain in the piste, we have had the water deposits that supply the snowcanons overflow and water run down the Rio (now that's irony :lolno: ), we have had full storm, we have had lulls and now we have snow and wind together...
The lifts opened ½hour ago and I would say it is debatable if they should have opened at all, it is very very windy :problem: .
So, I am sorry but I couldn't tell you what the conditions are like because they literally change hour by hour... It looks like we will have a good weather day on Saturday and then the wind is back but that can of course change.
Personally I am praying for this to calm down and settle down so we can start the season because what we have had until now is ridiculous.

So for now I wish you an enjoyable New Year's eve and all the best for 2010
Ulli
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:15 pm

What is it like now? We want to come on Tuesday....are there lots of queues driving up? Hoping it won't be as bad as any weekend last year, we gave up trying to go on weekends.
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

John Beachcomber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John Beachcomber » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi there
we're thinking of coming to sierra nevada tomorrow (sat 9th jan) and was wondering how the weather/snow was
not going to be skiiing, more sight seeing, iceskating etc
will we need snowchains? if so is there somewhere available to hire them or can we park low down and get a taxi or bus etc?

depending on prices may also be interested in staying over for the night if any1 knows of a b&b or cheap hotels, theres 2 adults and 2 children (who wont mind sharing)
would be grateful for any info
many thanks Nickie :thumbup:
Fishing and gardening, it's what I do.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi,

right, snow conditions are FABULOUS!!! :clap: :thumbup: 8) We have so much snow it is ridiculous and I am of course LOVING IT. Can you tell that I am slightly excited :lol: The whole are is still not open and of course since we are still in Spanish holiday season there are lots of people

As for coming tomorrow... For the weather have a look at the links I have put in previous posts, tehre you can see what is expected. Accommodation, you are best off going into the cetursa website http://www.cetursa.es and seeing what is available. Since it is only the day before and also saturday and holiday season it is more a question of what is available. I would advice getting a hotel in the lower area since Sierra Nevada is on a very steep slope and walking it with kids can be a nightmare.
If indeed you are looking at coming tomorrow I would advice trying to get here VERY early because otherwise you will be stuck in hours of traffic. Due to the snow conditions lots and lots of visitors are expected tomorrow.
Snow chains; you can't hire them but they are relatively cheap and you can buy them in the petrol station before you start the "climb" up the mountain as mentioned in the post with info on the resort.
Anything else please dont hesitate to ask
Ulli

PS I have just driven up the mountain and the signs said chains required from km15 but I didn't put mine on. I do however have wintertyres so if you have for example a 4x4 then you will be fine but with summer tyres you might need them

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi Ulli,
Just to clarify .......the English have problem with "Winter" tyres they think they can drive around in all seasons on "Summer" Tyres, Winter tyres have the Snow flake symbol on the side wall, a typical winter tyre is the Michelin Alpin 3 , with all the snow in UK at the moment the only car apart from mine I've seen with winter tyres was a German Registered one :oops:
A mini rant ............... :D
Snow chains are circa 25€ from the poligono motor spares shops, like insurance ...buy a pair :!: .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi Ulli,

I have a friend coming over at the end of January and he fancies a bit of snow boarding, what will the conditions be like then? Also is there anywhere up there where you can get married, he is a mad keen boarder and would love to get married at a ski resort?

Diana.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi there,

I have no idea what the conditions will be like at the end of January, it of course all depends on the weather. Right now the snow is hard but they have forecast more next week.
As for getting married in Sierra, there is a church but it all depends on where he and his partner are from and the regulations regarding that kind of thing in Spain. To be honest I wouldn't recommend it, Sierra Nevada is in no way a "romantic resort" like many of those you find in the Alps or USA for example.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 pm

I have just come down from the piste (a bit early I know but have things to do :problem: ) and I wanted to come on here and say WOW!!! The snow is amazing and there is lots and lots and lots of it. Everything is open and there are hardly any people and no waiting times at all in the lifts.
It is sunny and beautiful, a little bit cold but I can handle that 8) .
The snow canons are going at full blast at the bottom probably so that it maintains good conditions there but non at the top or in the middle of the pistes.
If you are planing on coming up this weekend I just want to warn that it is "puente" (bank holiday) in Madrid, from what I hear from Friday everything is fully booked for the weekend and it will be busy!

Safe skiing
Ulli

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for the updates Ulli. Im down there around the 15/2 and will buy you a coffee/ hot chocolate/ drink for all your help. We can gall it the andalucia.com get together :lolno: :lolno:

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Sounds fab! I have my godadaughter coming on the 14th, got to keep skiing in the geenes lol.
:lol: :clap: @ andalucia.com gettogether

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 pm

What age is your god daughter ? My 14 year old daughter will be there as well.

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I know it's probably been mentioned before but just a word of warning about going up at the weekend. I've only ever gone up during the week and over the last few years have never had any problems with parking or traffic. I've seen it mentioned in various places that you should avoid the weekend to avoid the crowds but had assumed this was on the slopes/lifts.

We went up with friends on Sunday and the comparison to our trip on Friday was leagues apart. Although traffic going up was fine, we managed to park in the main carpark at about 9:30 and the queues to the pistes weren't too bad when we came to go home I nearly gave up and booked a hotel! The queue was basically from the carpark all the way to the motorway - it took 1hr 30mins just to get down the mountain. Add to that the amount of traffic on the roads all the way home and it more than doubled our journey time back to Marbella :(

Conditions were great though, but the runs are starting to get very compacted and icy so it's hard work. Hopefully there will be some more snow soon!

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Yes indeed Andy is right, as mentioned in my last post it was "puente" in Madrid this past weekend and it was sooo busy here. You were lucky to get a space in the carpark because Saturday night at 9pm it was full :wtf:
1½ hours going down the mountain isn't bad on a Sunday and "puente", I have heard of 3-4hours :shock:

So, if you come on a Sunday I always advice to either plan to leave at around 3pm or after 8-9pm.

The conditions are fab as mentioned but the snow is getting packed down which leads to some really hard areas. Makes sure you have your edges sharpened :wink:

Today and yesterday the resort has been deserted and the waiting times for the lifts are none to 1 minute and the slopes are virtually empty :thumbup:
We are expecting the winds to pick up on Thursday but then a beautiful Saturday and Sunday.

Scotty - My goddaughter is 10

AndyT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AndyT » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:43 am

Ulli, do you know what day people start arriving for the Dia de Andalucia weekend? We have friends over from the UK and were going to go up on the 26th & 27th Feb but wondered when the whole of Spain tends to arrive up there for this weekend?

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 am

Andy - I don't actually know but I will find out for you.

Snow conditions - It is raining :( I have just been told that from Borreguiles and up it is snowing but from there and down it is raining :wtf:

remeleb
Tourist

Postby remeleb » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 am

We will be visiting Grananda April 14-17 and would like to spend a day in the Sierra Nevadas. Can you recommend what would be the best place to visit and to do some day hiking? It looks like there is hiking on the south side in the Alpujarras. Is there hiking on the north side closer to Granada? Thanks.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 am

Hi there,

i'm sorry but I only know Sierra Nevada so no good at all concerning hiking.

remeleb
Tourist

Postby remeleb » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:11 am

Thanks. I started a new thread. I guess Sierra Nevada must be the name of the ski resort as welll as the mountains.

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Ulli,

When do the slopes usually close in April? We have gone there to ski in the first and second week of April in the past but can't remember when the slopes actually closed for the season - we only use the green and blue runs with our kids, I know in the past the red and black have not been ski-able!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm

it depends on the snow/weather conditions