Closure of Information Centre in Grazalema

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
wildside
Resident

Closure of Information Centre in Grazalema

Postby wildside » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:48 am

Hi all,

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the imminent closure of the Information centre in Grazalema. (The 3rd of October 2011).

Over the last 2 years we have developed a public service that has never been seen before in this village in the heart of the Sierra de Grazalema. With five languages spoken, open almost every day of the year. with our exhibitions and relentless promotion of the businesses, Sierra and village in general. I and my team have worked very hard to promote a sustainable tourism model for the benefit of all. Most of all for the thousands of visitors that come here every month of the year.

During this time I have received no financial aid from anyone. Over 100,000 Euros invested into the project from my own pocket with constant promises from the town hall and various other entities that they will help. Empty promises and a lot of lies on top. Some of you who know my centre have seen the shop and the amazing flour mill but the profits from these parts of the project fall short of around 2000 euros a month. The reason being that 80 percent of the people that come in to the office do so in order to orientate themselves with free information about the village and area in general. They then leave happily after using the toilets that i pay for and without even buying a postcard. We are the face of tourism in a village that depends 100 percent on it's visitors and 45 percent of those visitors are not Spanish, they come from all over Europe and the world

The original building here was reformed in 2009 using funds from the project known as "Cultur-Cad". This project in Cádiz province runs from 2009 to 2013 and had 72 million euros at it's disposal from the EU fund... Mostly the money has been used to create information centres, museums and footpaths plus repair castle walls etc... There is still 18 million euros in the pot for future projects... The problem is that the money is never used to maintain projects that are completed and many of them are closed... One example of this is the centro de interpretación in the village of El gastor but on the shore of the zahara resevoir... It cost 300,000 euros and was opened to much fanfair and lots of back slapping... 8 months later it was closed, all the information panels removed and a cheap, nasty bar put inside instead. Sure you can hire canoes and get drunk there. Eat from the kitchen if you don't mind picking out the dog hairs from your food...The same thing happened here at my centre... 280,000 euros and closed 6 months later. When I opened the door after signing the contract to reopen this place I could not believe my eyes. Not a light bulb working. An 80 thousand euro audio visual system broken and museum pieces literally rotting onto the floor. Still, I and my team set about making something to be proud of and with the promise of a financial aid package within 6 months I gladly invested 40,000 euros into an "ideal" I had and to some extent still have.

I am told we are in "crisis" and that there is no money but this is a lie. I have seen over 300,000 euros of town hall money put into various fiestas in the village over the last 2 years. Painting competitions with hardly any participants, eco markets with no customers, the list is endless. Why is there no access to a financial package that can help me and my team to continue our work? To continue the basic idea of a sustainable tourism that protects our environment and also provides a public service and creates jobs and promotes businesses? I have only ever asked for a one off amount of 80,000 euros but am told that there is no money available…. “Cultur-Cad” is worth 72 million euros…….. Why is there no funding to protect existing projects yet millions for new ones…. New projects that are doomed to failure... Can anyone answer me why the new information centre in Benalup/Casas Viejas cost 2.2 million Euros? Any one got an idea why the new centre in Arcos de la Frontera that cost 3 million has no disabled access? which by their own laws makes it an illegal public building.

I could go on a lot more about dozens of other projects amounting to many millions but I guess that explains the guts of the problems I and my staff face now... In two weeks time two amazing workers will be on the dole plus a young girl here learning about tourism... and me? Well, I am autonomo and my assesor has explained to me that autonomos dont get dole... Thanks guys after taking 250 euros from me every month for the last 5 years.....

There is one ray of hope. The vice president of the disputation of Cádiz is coming next week to see the problem himself... It would be nice if this guy could just do the right thing and sign a cheque but I'm not holding my breath.... Interesting though that my team are still holding out with hope... Heck, they have even offered to work for no pay in order to continue. That is not the answer though...

The real solution is for the town hall and the people in charge of Cultur-Cad and other EU funds to take some responsibility and pride in their work. Help the people who want to make a difference. Some chance though as this attitude of waste by the people who sign the cheques is the underlying reason for almost all the economic problems facing Europe now.

Thank you to everyone that has supported us over the last couple of years... To the artists for their amazing exhibitions and to all that has ever visited us here at the centre.... Any millionaires out their in forum land?

Oh yes, if anyone can write an email to me in Spanish or English protesting about this situation I can use it as a last minute defense of this great project. [email protected]

Clive Muir
Centro de Información Turística - Grazalema

rafiki
Resident

Re: Closure of Information Centre in Grazalema

Postby rafiki » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 am

I'm very sorry to read that story Clive. When we visited earlier this year (used the toilets and spent money) we were very impressed with everything you are doing there and for the advice we received. I do hope that the visit next week will yield a positive result. I will email you a letter of protest at the closure if you think that will help. Good luck.
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:32 am

I too have used the loo and bought a fridge magnet. Is the center still in the main street? Hope something comes of the visit next week.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 am

The centre is located on the parking called "asomaderos". It opened in February of 2010.... The one on the main street has been closed for years but sometimes opens the doors for little exhibition by the town hall if there is no room anywhere else.
Last edited by wildside on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Very sad to read your story , Clive. Hope something turns up to help you all.
Yesterday, we invested in Guy Hunter-Watts' "Walking in Andalucia" and was just only reading about his six favourite Grazalema walks last night and looking forward to giving them a try.
We haven't visited the centre yet so not sure what is on offer but assume you have information for us ramblers too..
Walking and rambling is still in its infancy here in Spain but it is getting better and needs information and routes and clearances - it will attract tourism. The new Cazorla routes are beautifully laid out now and any country would be very proud to have them. Spain needs more like these.
We could write from a walker's point of view if you think it would help ?

campocaro1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby campocaro1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm

I am so sorry to hear this-please see below the letter I have just written to you and also I have sent it to my network of contacts here and to people who have used the centre in the past in the hope that they can add to the outcry. I have just run out of flour so will be up soon to stock up!

.... I am shocked and dismayed that this centre may have to close. It is well run, the bi lingual staff have always been very corteous, professional and helpful and the centre itself has become a point of cultural interest with its exhibitions and local information. I have been impressed by the renovation of the mill and regularly use the flour which is of very high quality.I have bought plants and trees from the area. I always suggest that people visit Grazalema as it is such a beautiful area and there are so many things to do in the village. The existence of the information centre is central to making sure that people make the best of the facilities, shops, walks and wildlife in the Grazalema and surrounding areas. I urge the authorities to find sufficient funding so this center remains -it is crucial to rural tourism in the Sierrana de Grazalema.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for the letter campocaro1.... I'll print it and put it with the others...

Clive

Jeniekrag

Postby Jeniekrag » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 am

Really painful to listen this. But never lose hopes. There will be some or the other way coming up around. Everything will be fine. Hope for the best. :(

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:25 am

Letter of support emailed to you this morning Clive. Best of luck.
Brian.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:55 pm

..another on its way, hope it helps.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:35 am

Thank you Anis.... please pass the news around... I really need a big pile or letters of protest now and the language doesn't matter, English, Spanish, German, French or whatever... Its the amount I need to slap on the town hall desk.....

Clive

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry to hear your sad news as well. We normally holiday in that area (Cortijo Las Piletas with Eli and Pablo) and have called into the centre several times, you've done a good job. Last time we were there, in May, there was the couple playing outside. I wish you luck with your attempts to keep it open, it deserves to be.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the support Frank,

I've had loads of emails this morning from all over.... It's quite overwhelming...

Thanks all...

Clive

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:16 am

And to top it all the mayoress hasn't turned for the 10 am meeting to talk about saving this place... Not even a phone call to say sorry she can't make it.

All rests now on the Wednesday meeting with the vice president of the diputación de Cádiz

Not a happy week here coming up by the looks of it......

Clive

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:54 am

Hang in there Clive - I have neverr been to your Centre but appreciate your knowledge and help on this forum and I know how frustrating it can be trying to deal with spanish officialdom - sometimes I think Andalucia just does not deserve any investment at all as they seem so ungrateful and disinterested at times!

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for the support Jool

The guy coming on Wednesday has cancelled so I guess that's that.... I'm lost for words.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 pm

He was only the Deputy, what about the boss? I am so sorry, you do not deserve this.

wazjulie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wazjulie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Hello Clive,
So sorry to hear the news about the information centre. I have met you a few times.I brought a beautiful painting from one of the special exhibit days (that has pride of place in my lounge.) After spending some talking to you, I was impressed by your enthusiasm,time and hard work that you have put into the centre. I remember my son (aged 14) spent a while chatting with you about the working flour mill that you had put on display in the centre, and your plans for it. You took time with us to explaining the history and the mechanics of the mill.I am very saddened to hear that the centre may close. I run a B&B in the village of Algodonales. Many clients who stay with us ask about places to visit whilst in the village of Grazzalma and I always recommend calling into the centre to get some maps before commencing their hikes around the area, also a look in at Jo & Fernandos leather work shop.
I have been living here and working for over 10 years now and in that have spoken to a lot of Spanish people in the know around these parts. I just so amazed at the projects(building) that are started and not finished around these places. A lot of money is wasted around here.
I really hope you get the support and help you need Clive to carry on with the centre. If there is a petition to sigh I will put my name down along with many others. Wishing you well.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:23 am

What a terribly sad situation to find yourselves in, just shows a total lack of foresight by the powers that be.
Hope that some miracle is about to happen and that somebody with half a brain appreciates the worth of what you have achieved, and gives you the necessary means to continue.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi all, thanks for the kind words of support

The closure date has been extended to the 30th of October.... My two staff have offered to work for free for this last month to give the "powers that be" time to work out any aid.... It's their way of giving a last chance of use us or lose us.....

me? I am totally depressed over the whole affair and have a bad taste in my mouth....