visiting Granada

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

visiting Granada

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:45 pm

I am quite embarrassed to be asking this, as our house is only an hour or so away :oops: , but we've not managed the 'tourist' bit much - too much DIY & gardening to do !

Some friends are planning a weeks trip to Granada shortly, and I was wondering if anyone had any 'must sees' ?
Also, I know there are various city tour 'hop on hop off' type buses - has anyone found that one company is better than another ?

All suggestions gratefully received & will be passed on :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Colinm
Resident

Re: visiting Granada

Postby Colinm » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:28 pm

If they want to go the Alhambra (must see!) they need to book tickets in advance.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Yes, I did know that thanks (tho I'd forgotten to mention it :oops: ), so good to be reminded :D They are staying at the Alhambra Palace Hotel, so possibly walking distance to it !

I'll collect all the info from here and then pass it on next week when I'm seeing her again :thumbup:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:05 pm

chrissiehope wrote:
Also, I know there are various city tour 'hop on hop off' type buses - has anyone found that one company is better than another ?
As far as I know there is only one Company that does "hop-on hop-off" tours in Granada, the same as in Málaga and that is City Sightseeing. They are pretty good.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks masterob :thumbup:

Keep 'em coming folks.... :D

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:53 am

I have been to Granada about 3 times and each time visited the Alhambra, once for the evening night visit. It is vital that entry tickets are reserved using the internet with the session decided and the 1/2 time slot decided. In my view it takes at least 4 hours to visit but just depends on interests and weather because a lot is obviously outside. There are 3 main entry points that need the 'session' ticket. The Nasrid Palaces, the castle with views over the city and far sierras called Alcazaba and the Generalife gardens and palaces. PLUS an area that I found last time which is very pleasant called Partal Gardens which is entered just after you exit from Nasrid Palaces.

Granada is fairly compact and I do not really think that a Hop on Hop off tour bus is really good value. Unless of course one needs to get a fuller picture of all the city. This gives the tour bus ;
http://www.granadatour.com/

The main places of interest apart from the Alhambra is the hill on the other side of the River valley called Albaicín which is where the original town settled by Moors existed. The Albaicín does have walls around just like the fortified 'village' that once housed the Moorish rulers and their servants etc.

The new city of Granada sprawls down from the Alhambra and Albaicín hills and is easy to walk around. The main sights here are the Cathedral and the nearby Royal Chapel.

If the Alhambra entry tickets have not been purchased or there is no availability on the main La Caixa web site, and you are staying in Granada for a few days then it may be worth considering buying a pass for either 3 days or 5 days. This pass gives access to the Alhambra as well as the other main sights and allows some trips using the city buses.
Worth looking though all the pages on this:

http://www.granadatur.com/en/uplevel-me ... to-buy-it/

You can also see the differences between the 2 cards. For example the 5 day card allows one Hop Hop Off day.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 am

I have been to Granada about 3 times and each time visited the Alhambra, once for the evening night visit. It is vital that entry tickets are reserved using the internet with the session decided and the 1/2 time slot decided.
I'm a keen photographer, and like you, we have been 4 times including the night visit. And I'd go again tomorrow! I haven't been for a couple of years, then the only timed entry was the Palaces, the rest you could wander around at will.
The main places of interest apart from the Alhambra is the hill on the other side of the River valley called Albaicín which is where the original town settled by Moors existed. The Albaicín does have walls around just like the fortified 'village' that once housed the Moorish rulers and their servants etc.
One of my favourites, and it's free, is to sit in the Plaza de San Nicholás (or mirador) in the Albaicín at sunset. As you will know, it's straight opposite the Alhambra with an uninterrupted view, quite special at that time of the day.
Monasterio de la Cartuja is out of the center but is certainly worth a look and a wander around Alcaiceria (old silk market) is interesting.
Some of the sights here,http://tinyurl.com/7u8lboy
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:50 pm

For eating there, one of the English Sunday papers listed their 5 best fish restaurants ever. One was in Calle Navas which is in centre of Granada - called Los Diamantes (or Diamontes?). We haven't tried it, but looks as if it's worth a visit.
AlisonB

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks guys & gals :thumbup:

While on the subject of food in Granada, I vaguely recall some time ago that there were some highly recommended tapas bars there - anyone care to remind me ?! :D

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:45 pm

I am quite embarrassed to be asking this, as our house is only an hour or so away , but we've not managed the 'tourist' bit much - too much DIY & gardening to do
We have had the Alhambra on our "To Do" list for 10 years now. Definitely going to do it this year so I am following this thread with interest.
We were thinking of staying for a couple of nights in the Parador any thoughts?
We were also thinking that a car might be a liability so might travel by bus from Malaga, opinions?
Ann

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:27 pm

We drove to Granada because there is no direct train from Málaga. Never thought of going by bus! Once there we left the car in the hotel garage so perhaps the bus might have been a cheaper option assuming journey times are ok.
We stayed in the Vinnci Granada, ok and easy walking distance from the centre.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:55 pm

We have at least managed the Alhambra a couple of times over the years, but not much else. Some friends took us there a couple of years ago, and they parked in the Alhambra car park, and then we got one of the little citibuses (I think it was the 32 route) into some part of the city (possibly the Albaizin?) anyway, the one with the mirador of St Nicholas. I think the bus fare was 1.20€ per trip - can't remember the car park charge.

I would imagine you can park at the hotel/parador, and then get buses, tho the centre is quite small (I think we circumnavigated it about 3 times :lol: ) I think I would rather get there by car than by bus - easier to stop when you want a leg stretch etc !

Enjoy :thumbup:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:05 pm

chrissiehope wrote: I would imagine you can park at the hotel/parador, and then get buses, tho the centre is quite small (I think we circumnavigated it about 3 times :lol: ) I think I would rather get there by car than by bus - easier to stop when you want a leg stretch etc !
If you're staying in the parador, get a taxi downtown, it's hardly any distance, it'll seem like nothing after the parador price! :lolno: Like you, it's car all the way for me, forget the bus. The parador is in the Alhambra, and that's easy to get to from the ring road. Some flunkey will park it for you anyway! I read someone saying if you are staying in the parador you can wander around the Alhambra when everyone else has gone home, that certainly sounds attractive. Have a look at Tripadvisor, people there recommend which are the best rooms to ask for (view of the Generalife etc) plus other useful tips. I'm amazed how so many people living relatively close to Granada have never been. :?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 pm

annfoto wrote:
I am quite embarrassed to be asking this, as our house is only an hour or so away , but we've not managed the 'tourist' bit much - too much DIY & gardening to do
We have had the Alhambra on our "To Do" list for 10 years now. Definitely going to do it this year so I am following this thread with interest.
We were thinking of staying for a couple of nights in the Parador any thoughts?
We were also thinking that a car might be a liability so might travel by bus from Malaga, opinions?
I don't know if things have changed due to the recession, but at one time it was necessary to book a long time in advance to get a room at the Parador.

We have been to Granada twice by bus from Velez-Malaga - the first time we took the bus back to Malaga instead of coming directly back here. There is an hourly service and from memory I think it took a couple of hours. Unlike the daily service to and from Velez, it did not have a comfort and/or coffee stop part way. The bus was crowded at the time we left (5pm) so if you do decide on this option I would buy your return ticket in advance, when you arrive in Granada, to be sure of getting a seat rather than possibly having to wait for a later bus. The city bus service in Granada is excellent, the small buses that take you up to the Alhambra or the Albaycin leave from directly outside the main bus station and run every few minutes.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Vaguely connected with the topic, but we stayed here a few years ago. It might be of interest to others looking to stay in Granada.

http://www.interhome.co.uk/english/spai ... 5040.100.1

It is absolutely wonderful, with amazing views of the Alhambra. The Albaicin is an amazing area and the house is within walking distance of the Alhambra.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:23 am

As Frank has mentioned, the view from the Mirador San Nicolas is not to be missed, particularly at night time when they light up The Alhambra. We like to walk up to it, (all up hill) but you can get on one of the little buses that go all over the city. There is a bus stop just outside the Alhambra.

The cathedral is beautiful and worth a visit.

I would say Granada is in my top ten favourite cities.

Steve In Leicester
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Steve In Leicester » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:06 pm

As has been mentioned, the city itself is very compact and the sights can be seen on foot. However, (and this might have been mentioned already, I haven't read the other posts in detail - if so, sorry for being a lazy *beep* and repeating)but have you considered a guided Segway tour? I haven't been on one myself but I've seen them loads of times. They look like great fun and are relatively inexpensive.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am

Why not take a look at our Granada City pages for more information?
Here´s a few to get you started:

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/granada ... istory.htm

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/granada ... -facts.htm

http://www.andalucia.com/cities/granada ... uments.htm

Enjoy!

Andalucia.com :D

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:06 am

Hi andalucia,

:oops: You need to use the URL tab in the posting box for long URL's to work, either that or get it fixed.

:D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:43 am

Honestly Enrique - you just can't get the staff these days, can you ? :roll: :lol:

Andalucia - it was more personal recommentdations I was after but thanks for the suggestions anyway