El Chorro camping?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
rafiki
Resident

El Chorro camping?

Postby rafiki » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:15 pm

We are thinking of going to El Chorro next week and camp for a few days. I see there is a site Camping El Chorro. Has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it? Are there better alternatives nearby? Needs to be dog friendly.
Brian.

dido72
Resident

Re: El Chorro camping?

Postby dido72 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I have stayed there, it's a beautiful place but no set pitches you just throw your tent up where you can find a space. There is a bar that sells food (very basic food) and toilets next to the bar then the only other toilets are up a massive hill and that is where the shower block is too.

There is a youth hostel there which was full and very noisy when we were there. There is an adventure area where school groups etc can zip wire through the trees and all that malarkey. I would say that it is fine for the 16-25 age group or those who are into climbing etc but us as a family didn't particularly enjoy it. We have been to many more campsites with much better facilities, but if you want to "rough it" for a few days it would be fine!

There is another if you go straight on to where the pedalo's etc are (as opposed to turning right into El Chorro village) but I don't know what this one is like!

I have the ACSI campsite book if you want any recommendations of other areas.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Sorry just saw this post was from a few weeks ago :crazy: hope you enjoyed it if you went lol x

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks. As it happens I had to whizz off to UK to attend a funeral so trip shelved for the time being.
Brian.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Oh ok, well do shout if you want any info on campsites, we are going to Cabopino in October so will report back on that one too ;)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Going on my own this weekend whilst the OH is away then back home via Grazalema P.N. I see there is one called Albergue Camping. Any info on that? It looks OK on their website. I don't mind the 'open plan' camping, I'll only have a Land Rover with roof tent, a chair and sun shade umbrella.
Brian.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm

I stayed at Camping El Chorro over the weekend. It wasn't very busy so relatively quiet.

As dido72 says it's pitch-where-you-can. It is quite small so I can imagine it gets quite 'cosy' when it is busy. The ground is hard, stony and uneven. I was camping in the roof tent atop the Land Rover and used levelling wedges but I could imagine it would be uncomfortable in a small tent. Substantial tent pegs would be required just to get them into the hard ground. Those titchy wire things that come with many small tents would be useless.

The shower block at the top of a steep incline looks impressive. The sinks and toilets are fine and clean but the showers weren't so good. Hot water was plentiful but there is nowhere to hang a towel and no shelf to stand soap and shampoo. The floor was wet and muddy and there was no mop for users to clean it themselves.

The bar/restaurant Is open until midnight and has a reasonable range of tapas, bocadillos and main meals at reasonable prices. Closed on Mondays and the owner was a bit naughty on Sunday night when he pushed off before 8pm. I guess he thought there was not enough custom. I walked up the hill a bit to a nice hotel and had a good meal there.

Reception hours are rather short. If you haven't booked in advance you may have a long wait or, if arriving late will have to just go in and sort it out in the morning.

I had an enjoyable stay and in summary it is a basic facility with friendly staff with reasonable rates. Spectacular scenery. For me it is OK for 2 or 3 days but I wouldn't want to stay on that site any longer.

I did see some pedalos on a lake on my way in but didn't see any indication there was camping there as dido72 mentioned . I'll have a look next time I go.
Brian.