Train to Sevilla

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Colinm
Resident

Train to Sevilla

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:52 pm

During our next visit we are thinking of taking the train to Sevilla. The train type options are 'MD' or 'Avant'. We have the Tarjeta Dorada already so the prices are working out at €27,10 return each on 'MD' or €66,60 return each on 'Avant'.

I would like to know the differences between the two trains (ie comfort levels; can you pre select seats on MD? etc), really is the price difference justified?

The trains take different routes as the 'Avant' goes via Cordoba (a really featureless vista on the way), whereas the 'MD' goes via Bobadillo. Is this a more interesting journey?

Also the Avant takes only 1h55m whereas the MD takes 2h30m!

Any comments or suggestions please?
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

gus
Resident

Re: Train to Sevilla

Postby gus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 pm

The "MD" trains (Media Distancia) are very comfortable and, in my mind, are hugely cheaper although slightly slower. One of our Spanish friends recommended the MD to Cordoba rather than the AVE because it was only about 10 mins slower for half the price.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:34 pm

I am sorry i cannot help with your query and hopeTarjeta Dorada i hope you do not mind a question regarding "Tarjeta Dorada"
How do you get this card? is it valid for the calender year or a year from the time applied and what is the advantage of having same.

Many thanks

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:38 pm

MD every time, the route takes you through El Chorro Gorge..fantastic scenery. The train is comfortable and punctual and although it stops at most stations it's never tedious. The Avant is for businessmen and functionarios, rushing about in suits :D

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:43 pm

carrowcrin wrote: How do you get this card? is it valid for the calender year or a year from the time applied and what is the advantage of having same.

Many thanks
You've asked this question before....and been answered!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

We've been to Sevilla by train from Malaga several times (and will be doing so again in November!). As Country Boy says, the Media Distancia train is fine - I certainly wouldn't pay twice as much for the Avant, which I don't think is all that much faster anyway. Yes, you can select your seat if buying your tickets online, or if you buy them at the station you will be allocated one automatically.

If you find you want to catch a different train from the one you have booked to come back on, just take the tickets into the ticket sales window in the station and they will change them for you (no charge).

Next time we go we will be getting off at Sevilla San Bernardo instead of going through to Santa Justa, as you can catch a tram from San Bernardo to the Plaza Nueva which is not far from the Giralda area where we will be staying. It is quite a hike from Santa Justa into the city centre!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone, MD it is then!

Free at Last - good info about the tram as tonight I am looking at hotels and now know to look at the tram lines before I book! - Thankyou!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

carrowcrin wrote:I am sorry i cannot help with your query and hopeTarjeta Dorada i hope you do not mind a question regarding "Tarjeta Dorada"
How do you get this card? is it valid for the calender year or a year from the time applied and what is the advantage of having same.

Many thanks
Its available to anyone over 60 years. Take passport to train station. Its valid for 12 months from issue and costs €5,05.

I got ours at Malaga MZ station. I got the Tarjeta Dorada card and booked a train journey to Cordoba that departed in just over 1 hours time.
It entitles you to discounts of up to 40% Ours paid for itself on that first journey.
As an example: Malaga/Sevilla return is €40,60, but with Tarjeta Dorada its only €27,10

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Free at Last - any hotel recommendations?
tks

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Colinm wrote:Free at Last - any hotel recommendations?
tks
Not for hotels unfortunately (we stayed at the Vincci La Rabida once and I would certainly not recommend that one. The public areas were very nice and the breakfast good, but the room was very shabby indeed for a 4 star hotel and the staff couldn't have cared less when I complained).

We've always stayed in apartments since then. Last year we had a nice penthouse (Revueltos Singular Apartments, booked via www.booking.com) but it was a fair walk from the main tourist area. In November we have booked an apartment at the Giralda Suites, very close to the Cathedral, which look nice but I can't vouch for them as we've not been yet! Again they're on booking.com.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks. It's only for an overnight in the middle of hols, so I'll go for a hotel. Tripadvisor look out :lol:

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Colinm

Thanks for reply in relation to card.
There are loads of hotels in the city centre and most are pretty basic but clean, from my experience the breakfast in most is rubbish unless you go for something fancy. There is also a tram to the bus station and from there you can get a bus to the train station, the airport bus runs about every 15 mins and runs by the train station and there is probably others.

Thankfully i do not live next door to "country boy" he does not seem to miss a lot.

slainte

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:56 am

"Its valid for 12 months from issue and costs €5,05."

Rumour is, it is now €5,15.

Where will this all end !

anyroads

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 pm

anyroads wrote:"Its valid for 12 months from issue and costs €5,05."

Rumour is, it is now €5,15.

Where will this all end !

anyroads
Typical, hubby is 60 in January, he won´t be able to afford the card now :thumbdown: :lol:

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:53 pm

"Typical, hubby is 60 in January, he won´t be able to afford the card now "

So, you were a child bride !

anyroads

massy8

Postby massy8 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 am

Anyone know about this year? what rate they are offer now?