car hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
tjtops
Resident

Re: car hire

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:22 pm

PS...who do you use, Frank?
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Yes come on, Frank. Who do you recommend? I think I've asked before and I think it was malagacarhire, wasn't it?

costafan

Postby costafan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:08 pm

DoYouSpain has a thread on the Trip Advisor Spain forum where they have been very helpful to a lot of people in sorting out problems with the car hire companies.

Advantage (who are owned by Hertz) have now changed their name to Firefly as Hertz sold the American side of Advantage and therefore couldn't use it in the rest of the world. Unfortunately Advantage has one of the biggest threads of TA with complaints about them.

DoYouSpain do give you the opportunity to refuse the company they put you with and you can choose to go full/full or full/empty on the fuel policy.

As with all car hire companies, even though you may book through a broker, you need to check the terms and conditions of the hire company and make sure you understand about the "extras" they may try and persuade you to buy.

This year, we've booked with Helle Hollis and have got a great deal with an early bird discount and the use of a friend's owners code which made it a bit cheaper than the DYS quote we looked at.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Never had a serious problem with Advantage. A bit slow at check in but not bad.

I love Helle but my quote for may 13 to july 4 was about £780 (inc owners discount) compared to DYS (excluding the scoundrels at goldcar and record) of £520.

They're good.

But not that good!

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Normally use Doyouspain but have just booked with Cargest. We are only needing the car for 4 days and they are working out cheaper as they have full/full fuel policy. They meet and greet and are just over the road from the terminal. Have used them before and had no problems.

Pattsy47
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pattsy47 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 pm

I take it there is a filling station at Malaga Airport, I've never driven there, where is it located?

Roz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Roz » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Opposite the terminal, just on the roundabout.

Pattsy47
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pattsy47 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Roz

baynigg
Tourist

Postby baynigg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 pm

I have used Do You Spain a lot and been very happy until they started allocating Advantage/Firefly. Their cars are rubbish and they are quite rude when you refuse the extra insurance. The last time I felt positively intimidated! I am thinking of using www.malagaairportcarhire.com this time, has anyone had any experience of them?

Curiouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Curiouse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Relatives just left after visit using GOLDCAR for their transport . When they booked they had no idea it was GOLDCAR the name is not shown until its to late and they operate through many different names and other company's websites . The company are a total disgrace and i dont know how they can get away with the scams they pull . Took almost 2 hours queuing after they arrived then the car was not what it was supposed to be , they had upgraded and were given a 1200 cc Skoda that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding . They were forced to pay €80 for a full tank of petrol and returned it half full and got €11 back . They had the paperwork stating no additions , insurance covered everything , it didnt , there was a laminated sheet on the desk for all to see what was not covered which was practically everything so they were forced to pay €36 extra or leave €600 deposit .

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 pm

I arrived last Saturday and the Goldcar queue was at least a 2 hour jobby. Snaking halfway round the car hire hall. IT IS MADNESS TO USE THIS DESPICABLE FIRM

If you use doyouspain you can deselect the companies you don't want to quote.

For the foulest customer service on the planet i always delete Goldcar and Record (the latter more because of the queues, than customer service.)

Once again I was allocated Advantage/Firefly. The car has a few scrapes but is perfectly good and i also got a substantial upgrade for free. Yes, you have to put a large deposit on your credit card if you want to avoid the extra insurance but i think 90% of them do that now. Anyway last tiem the exchange rate moved in my favour so i got more in sterling than i deposited!

For anyone hiring for more than 2 or 3 weeks in Spain buy insurancefor carhire or an equivalent. I have had to use them once in the last 10 years and the service was punctual and speedy once i had all the receipts and credit ard slips for evidence of the claim.