car hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

car hire

Postby mountainlass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 pm

http://www.doyouspain.com/

Anyone had any experience of this car hire company in Malaga?

Or any recomends
Thanks

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: car hire

Postby frank » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:10 pm

They are a broker, they allocate a company, so really it depends on what particular company they put you with. They're cheap/ish, personally I wouldn't use them, far too many complaints, fuel scams etc. Plenty better options out there. I'm not alone in giving them a wide berth, but I'm sure someone will come along and say they are brilliant! :thumbup:
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews166569.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mountainlass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:19 pm

thanks frank

followed the link.. like most things in life.. if it looks to good to be true it probably is :wave:

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Try www.hispacar.com We've used them several times & have always been given a vehicle in excellent condition, not a basic model either.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm

I've used doyou spain for several years.
As far as I'm concerned they've always been ok but spain being Spain you have to put up with some shortfalls.
dys has always been the cheapest as far as I'm concerned.
The way to play them is to book well in advance.
They have a no fee cancellation policy so keep getting quotes once you've booked.You'll find that prices will steadily drop and as such you can cancel and rebook and save a mint.
They use the companies found in the arrivals hall and quite a few are to be avoided, You can specify the company and I always use Advantage,part of Hertz.
Yes i know there's a bad review on Frank's link but I've always found them to be good.
You must avoid Record as their cars look as if they've been banger racing.
All car hire firms have their good and bad points even the ones that other forum members swear by.
Be prepared,with some companies your car may not have an aerial or high vis vests or even a spare wheel and jack (Record ) so check before you leave.
Don't be bullied into taking extra insurance if you don't want it...you van buy cheap annual excess insurance from insurance4carhire.
A word of caution with dys....incredibly difficult to communicate with.....but you can cancel and rebook easily enough.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 pm

We have a DYS hire car at the moment- we did not have the paperwork in the car, realised after and had to go back- we should have checked before we left the airport, so a lesson learned. We have used them 4 times in the past year (when we needed a bigger car and when our car was in for a repair. Had no problems with them, more than pleased. The last hire cost was 42€ for 9 days. The fuel charge was not excessive, the car took a lot of fuel to fill up. Our son has a car booked with them for 4 days for about 20 pounds, so you can´t complain.
We have the hire car at the moment as we are wanting to change our car, so that was the best way to get to see a car we are thinking of buying and trying it out to see how it performs in ´real life´ as it were :lol: More than pleased with DYS would give them 10/10 :thumbup: /(well maybe 9/10 cos of the missing paperwork) But that was not DYS fault, that was Goldcar and our fault for not checking :thumbdown:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Told you! :lolno: You'll get different feedback from all the companies, some good, some bad, people tell it as it is for them, even the tripadvisor customers. I've been hiring cars from Málaga for around 25 years and I think I have tried most of them. I can remember when Carjet were all the rage, but after queuing up the ramp for over an hour twice, that was our friendship terminated. :thumbdown: I've been with the same company now for about the last 10 trips, I pick it up and return it half full, so no petrol scam, no coming back almost empty, but I never recommend them in case something goes wrong for someone. I've never had a problem, automatically get a discount as a returning customer, they have my details on computer so I'm in and out in no time. For the first time ever last year, I returned the car quite badly damaged, they never said a word, I was dreading the worst. Never pay the extra insurance, I've had my own for years, I'll be contacting them again soon. Like me, I don't blame the others sticking with their choice as they've had good service, no reason to change, stick with what you know.
Regards, Frank

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 pm

The reason I use Advantage through dys is that one year we were badly delayed at Gatwick which meant that instead of arriving at 12 noon we would arrive 2am in the morning.
I phoned Advantage from Gatwick and they said not to worry they'd keep the office open until I arrived.
I thought"I'll believe this when I see it"
True to their word they handed over the car in the early hours ,I was their only customer, and the young girl locked up and went home.
I'm not easily impressed and certainly not by the usual Spanish customer service but I was thankful and impressed.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm

As Frank says, take it as you find it.
I've used DYS for the last 5 years, usually 4 or 5 times a year and, while the cars haven't always been "perfect" they haven't caused any trouble. It used to be Auriga Crown that I was placed with (till they went bust) and now it varies between Record and Goldcar.

I only tend to hire a car for 3 days at a time - this ensures a full-full fuel policy. When Auriga were around I used to get a one-way hire (to Fuengirola) at no extra charge, now it would be an extra 30 euros for a one - way hire so I always return to the airport and hop a train back to Fuengirola.

I also have insurance4carhire and never had a problem. My latest bookings are for February when we are coming out for 8 days. Car booked for the first 3 days (lets us get out for any shopping etc) - Ford Focus 5 door (or similar) 18.67 euros, car booked for last 3 days (gets us back to the airport cheaper than a taxi) same again, 19.66 euros. Cheap as chips :thumbup:

Meant to add - I ALWAYS hire from the airport if I find I need a car during our breaks, it works out hugely cheaper........presumably because of the competition.

detourer
Resident

Postby detourer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 pm

We are now with DYS…………

We hire on a permanent basis, by permanent I mean that we have continually hired a “Pool” vehicle from various companies 24/7 x 52 weeks for the last 10 years. Various reasons but mostly cost and a no worry factor, I have enough problems keeping our business vehicles in order!
Over the years we have been with most hire companies, via various agents, until they dropped off the radar………but never had much of an issue.

As I said we are now with DYS and have no problems at all….the current vehicle being a near new Focus that we pay a little over 200e per month for. The last car was a new VW Golf that we managed to hang onto for 4 months before they asked for it back. Whilst we are with DYS the cars are actually collected from Goldcar, before that Advantage…….but DYS is the agent.

Interestingly we did find Hertz paperwork in a few of the vehicles that we hired from Advantage......check and same car would have been double with them.

ONLY grip is that we have to return and re/hire in the depths of and underground car park at Malaga Airport and have to queue for an age with all the rude and frustrated arriving holidaymakers…….where the mobiles don’t work [yes, I am very busy] and no toilets .
Go to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body? Rather skid in sideways, women on each arm, champagne and credit card in each hand, body thoroughly used, abused, totally worn out and screaming …."WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE"

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 pm

Another vote for dys. When we moved here in March, we got a 3 month hire for less than 500 euros, including all insurances. They put us with Advantage. We had a Skoda, it was fine.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 am

We often use dys, and generally no problems. I would however echo the warning re Record. We have been allocated this firm several times recently, and this time we've decided, no more ! We like to have a 'Berlingo or similar' which to us means a Berlingo, Partner or Kangoo, but to Record it means a Nemo, usually with an ITV sticker on the window (therefore over 2years old, and probably never been serviced in that time !); dodgy or downright illegal tyres; wiper blades either worn away completely or hanging off - you get the picture :wink:

This time, it was all of the above, plus what turned out to be a failing CV joint. We phoned to sort it, only to be told we had to drag ourselves (& sick vehicle) from Antequera back to Malaga airport to change it, or else put up with it ! We did get it changed (twice, as the replacement had a faulty fuel guage which was warning no fuel depsite it being full !)

So next time we use dys wewill specify 'No Record' :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 am

In my previous warning about Record I forgot to mention I had a car which had a big flappy cut in the sidewall of a front tyre which had been superglued back!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:43 pm

chrissiehope wrote:We often use dys, and generally no problems. I would however echo the warning re Record. We have been allocated this firm several times recently, and this time we've decided, no more ! We like to have a 'Berlingo or similar' which to us means a Berlingo, Partner or Kangoo, but to Record it means a Nemo, usually with an ITV sticker on the window (therefore over 2years old, and probably never been serviced in that time !); dodgy or downright illegal tyres; wiper blades either worn away completely or hanging off - you get the picture :wink:

This time, it was all of the above, plus what turned out to be a failing CV joint. We phoned to sort it, only to be told we had to drag ourselves (& sick vehicle) from Antequera back to Malaga airport to change it, or else put up with it ! We did get it changed (twice, as the replacement had a faulty fuel guage which was warning no fuel depsite it being full !)

So next time we use dys wewill specify 'No Record' :D
That's why I said "it depends which company they allocate", for those unsuspecting first timers that know no different, they probably get Record. And as you're paying your money to DYS, they are responsible, they should be sorting Record out, they have a long history of carp service.
Regards, Frank

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:21 pm

Yes, hubby will be writing to dys when we return to UK next week... :)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am

Does anyone have an opinion about Marbesol please? (Also Malaga) I've been allocated them for my next visit....... (by arguscarhire, whom I've used several times in the UK but not before in Spain!)
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm

frank wrote: And as you're paying your money to DYS, they are responsible,
You don't pay DYS anything. you pay on arrival to the relevant car hire company.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 pm

chrissiehope wrote:Yes, hubby will be writing to dys when we return to UK next week... :)
They still keep sending me e-mails from several years ago, so I answered and told them why I don't use them and they came back with the following,
We work with many different suppliers and you can always request us to change it. There is a link on the confirmation e-mail (“Want to change car supplier?”) to request a change. Through it, you can request the change and write a brief explanation (fuel policy, previous experiences, etc…). If there were any price increase, we would always check with your before changing it.
Furthermore, on our webpage If there’s a supplier you prefer not to use, you can also eliminate them from your search on our webpage so that you make sure they are not assigned to your booking.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have further questions or comments.
Regards, Frank

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:17 pm

tjtops wrote:Does anyone have an opinion about Marbesol please? (Also Malaga) I've been allocated them for my next visit....... (by arguscarhire, whom I've used several times in the UK but not before in Spain!)

www.qype.co.uk/place/578225-Marbesol-Malaga

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:19 pm

O.....M.....G..... :shock: :shock:
Many thanks for that.....somehow the words 'free cancellation' and try another company spring to mind!!!!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full