Tickets for the Alhambra bought through bank

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
concorde
Resident

Tickets for the Alhambra bought through bank

Postby concorde » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Alhambra yet, despite Granada being our local city.

So, on our next visit to Andalucia, next week, we've decided to book an overnight hotel and go for the day.

Checked out times to visit the palace and slots are going fast and down to 6.30 and 7pm visits.

I've got my bank card from La Caixa with me and so can book from here in the U.K. through them?

Do I just get a confirmation and a reservation no., and then have it verified and receive tickets from special ticket machines in Granada on the day of the visit? I do know I have to take the bank card I paid with originally.

I've read the threads on here and also on the Alhambra website but too much info is giving me brain-freeze!
I'm always disappointed when a liar's pants don't actually catch on fire.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tickets for the Alhambra bought through bank

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:25 pm

not sure but you can also buy them at any BBVA bank

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:40 pm

There are ticket machines opposite the main entrance. As far as I remember you just put in the card that you used to purchase the tickets. Maybe you get a reference number when you book. I'm sorry I can't remember. It was a very simple operation tho' :) :angel:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Done and dusted :thumbup:
Bought tickets through LaCaixa with ticketmaster.es. at 14.30e per ticket.

Printed out confirmation e-mail, will pick up tickets at ServiCaixa terminal, either in Granada itself or at Alhambra, remembering to take the card I purchased the tickets with.

Apparently you can use another entrance, supposedly less busy than main one.

I needed to get these bought quickly as there were only a few slots left at 6.30pm, and 7pm was leaving it a little late.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 pm

concorde wrote:
I needed to get these bought quickly as there were only a few slots left at 6.30pm, and 7pm was leaving it a little late.
Anytime after about 4pm is good, the tour buses head back to the coast, so less people, it can get quite hectic otherwise. I've been four times, including a night visit, but that's just to the palaces but quite different.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:13 pm

3hrs is recommended for full visit so will make sure I've comfortable footwear.
I'm going to download a route around the place so to make sure I see as much as possible.

I've seen so many pics etc that I feel as though I've been anyway but it will be nice to see the views from there instead of seeing them from a distance.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 pm

If you are doing everything, the Generalife Gardens as well, I'd say a good 3 hours. Apart from the night visit we've always arrived fairly early and spent most of the day there, but I'm an avid snapper of photos! Just make sure you are there on time for your timed visit to the palaces, they are very strict. If you miss it, that's it!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:33 am

So the slot you have bought is quite late in the afternoon session which ends at 8pm in the summer so leave the Nasrid entrance until last and try to visit the other ticketed entry points before hand. If the weather is kind then a good hour can be spent at the Generalife Palaces and gardens then Partal Gardens and then the lowest part at the old fort called Alcazaba but before getting to Alcazaba visit the rather out of keeping Charles V building where they usually hold some exhibition. Oh I forgot, you may like to spend a little extra and enjoy a cup of something on the terrace of the Parador hotel which overlooks the Generalife over the valley ! So good idea to allow plenty of time. Maybe enter the complex at 2pm !

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for all the info.
Picked up our tickets at La Caixa in Granada, had a brilliant day, went in at 2.30pm after a fantastic couple of beers and tapas sat in the sunshine, bought bottled water and a pkt of biscuits to keep us going until a late meal.

One great thing is that you do not get ripped off with drinks prices once inside, lots of drinking fountains and one of the best take-away machine coffees I've ever had at just over a euro.

Went up to the highest point and got the most wonderful views of the city and snow covered Sierras.
The palaces are just breathtaking, and although pictures/books etc are great, nothing can beat the experience of actually being there and imagining people actually lived in all that splendour.

Left just after 7p.m. but sadly missed out on the church, however I'm sure I will go again, after all we're only 45 mins by bus from there.
It was also great staying the night in a hotel, nothing nicer than getting showered, changed and then out on the town, next visit we hope to go to the Science Museum, sounded a little dusty to me but I've been assured it is a great day out, plus they also have brilliant exhibitions on from time to time.