Caminito del Rey

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Caminito del Rey

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 am

There's only one El Mirador in the vicinity that I can see. Click on the link I posted previously. Or for it's location on a map, here: http://tinyurl.com/jtcb8ht
Can't really help anymore than this - as I said, you can't miss it if you're on the right road.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Restaurante El Mirador
Parque Ardales | Zona Cuarta, 29550 Ardales, Spain

The reason for the confusion is there is also this restaurant in the village of Ardales, I just wanted to confirm which one you mentioned..

thanks

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:24 pm

It's the SAME place. There is only ONE El Mirador restaurant. "Parque" means park, not village. Zona Cuarta is Zone 4 in the park area NOT a street address in the village. Sorry, I can't make it any clearer.

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:08 am

The Caminito del Rey will reopen on the 22nd April 2016 and the tickets will be sold online on the official website from the 18th April. The ticket price will be 10€. Only 10% or about 110 tickets a day will be available for direct purchase online to general public, the remainder via tour operators and local tourism business.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:05 pm

errm...does that mean that only 11 tickets will be available per day to the rate paying public who paid for the restoration?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:10 pm

10% of 110 = 11
I guess the rate paying public are free to buy tickets from agencies etc. as well.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:15 pm

No it's not 10% of 110.
It's 10% of the total number of tickets available per day.
So there are 1100 tickets per day.
990 to commercial interests and 110 to the general public.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Must admit, I read it as 10% of 110 first time!

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:32 pm

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:02 pm

BLUSH! (no emotions available) I read that as 'of', and not, 'or'...Embarrassing! ( 'praps I do need glasses lol).

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:37 pm

I shared your link to the Axarquia Local Info group on facebook, Wildside, it's had lots of shares from there..........people are quite cross. The new owners might have alienated quite a lot of people with their allocation of tickets system. Thanks very much for the info, though - much appreciated.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:04 pm

It is not the new owners (who are only managers on a four year contract), this ticket allocation rule was announced on Friday by Marina Bravo (Diputada de Media Ambiente y Promocion del Teritorio) of the Diputacion de Malaga. Almost everything else relating to the path has been announced by Elias Bendodo, president of the Diputation except for this and the embarrassing closure news the day before. It is clearly a deliberate policy to ensure that a higher percentage of the tourist spend is diverted into local business than has been the case to date. Perhaps this is a good policy, perhaps not. The provincial diputation is an indirectly elected governing body whose deputies are based on % of the provinces town hall councillors.

Earlier this year the Diputacion de Malaga reported that whilst the investment was 5.5m € the annual economic benefit to the area is 20 million euro annually. Sadly local press reported this headline verbatim and nobody challenged the calculations. Here they are. Do the forum member think them to be accurate based on their experience of the path?

The basis was 74.135 tourists, staying on average 1.7 days spending on average 64.88€ which equals 8.2m € spend annually. In addition 172,980 day trippers spending on average 26.20€ which equals 4.5m € spend annually. The reports adds another unexplained 7m € for 'indirect expenditure' to arrive at the 20m € annual return. This figure was mysteriously revised upwards to 40m € annual return on the anniversary of the opening of the path.
Sourse: http://www.andalucia.com/province/malag ... istory.htm

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Well the wife and I went there on 5/2/16 and were booked into a hotel. Checked in and got our passes to the walk from hotel reception. Went down to the start and found the it was closed due to the wind.Back to the hotel and realised there was nothing to do in the town (it was now 3pm) so we checked out of the hotel and paid our €70 for the room. We didn't mind losing the money as it was our decision. Cant see where tourists could possibly spend money except in the only (poor) restaurant. But even saying that, I will return soon and do the walk. But wont stay overnight.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 am

The booking site is now up and running. https://entradas.mientrada.net/evento/public/janto/
It's only in Spanish but easy to navigate.
Bookings be accepted until 30th June.
Most days 30 places available every 30 mins from 10:00 to 17:00 so that's 450 places a day available to the general public.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:25 am

They seem to have added the agency and business links now on the reservation front page. As it is still all in Spanish this is a bit confusing for non Spanish speakers untill the other languages get installed....

A new page opens and towards the bottom look for “CAMINITO DEL REY (WEB)” click on “Comprar”. NOTE: The other two selections are for agencies and businesses.

http://www.caminodelrey.es/the-booking- ... ce-ticket/

Gerry, I just spoke to the company on the phone and was told that the amount of visitors a day is a mistake and should only be 10 percent of 1100 entry permits. They will leave it as it is now but in the future it will revert to the 10%... (Or so i am told, you never know really :) )

marinam0306

Postby marinam0306 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi, i did a stupid thing and booked a ticket to caminito at 10:30. As i don't drive, I need an accomodation close enough. The previous day I am in Ronda. Initially I planned to move from Ronda to Antequera and to arrive to El chorro with a first train at 9:32 next morning. However I am not sure now that I have enough time to take a shuttle bus (that leaves at 9:30 - already too bad but hopefully they wait for the train and bus stops near railway station) and walk to checking point from El Kiosko even by shortest route.

So I think I need to change accomodation. There 2 alternatives - climbers shared room near El chorro or Alora.

1) Is there a shuttle bus at 8:45 from El chorro, so I could arrive to El Kiosko and have enough time to walk by any route?

2)Is there a bus from Alora to El chorro that arrives early enough to make a connection for 8:45 shuttle bus in El chorro.

3)If I arrive late to caminito checking point, will they allow me to walk it at a later slot?

4)Do you think shuttle bus would wait for the people from trains or leaves sharply on time?

5)What other options I might have?

6)If i choose Alora accomodation, what is the best way to go from Ronda to Alora?

Thanks in advance

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Ida

28/04/2016

Origen

RONDA

Destino

ARDALES

Tipo de viaje

Ida

Ida

Horarios

Salida

Llegada

Precio

07:00 07:45 4,98€
08:00 08:45 4,98€
09:00 09:45 4,98€
12:00 12:45 4,98€
14:00 14:45 4,98€
16:00 16:45 4,98€
18:00 18:45 4,98€
19:45 20:30 4,98€

if you use ronda as the starting point this may help, someone else will likely know how far to starting point as the starting place you mention not on website I looked at...

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue May 10, 2016 3:47 pm

I had a booking for tomorrow.
Got an email this morning to say it will be closed tomorrow due to the weather.
There was a link to rebook, just select the day and enter the bar code from the original booking.
Unfortunately it returned an error message:-
412 - Código llave inexistente.

I have emailed them.
Anybody successfully rebooked after a cancellation?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue May 10, 2016 4:37 pm

Marinam, when we walked it a few months ago, someone from our village arrived about an hour late for her slot and the chap on the gate ushered her in , no problem, (if front us of the rest of us who were waiting lol although she did walk with our bunch) so you should be OK. Hopefully, the new managers would also make allowances although of course, I wouldn't like to say for sure....

Also, if you could get to the El Mirador restaurant area, that's only about a 20 minute walk through a tunnel to the starting point.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 pm

gerryh wrote:I had a booking for tomorrow.
Got an email this morning to say it will be closed tomorrow due to the weather.
There was a link to rebook, just select the day and enter the bar code from the original booking.
Cheers
Gerry
Just rebooked, you can choose which day you want to go and just turn up at what time suits you. Don't have to book a particular time slot.
I will post after I've been on the 25th to update as to how well the system works.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris