Caminito del Rey

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Caminito del Rey

Postby Miro » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 pm

My point was, that there is currently no way to reserve tickets beyond the end of this month (and no places available for what remains of it either), and no news on what's happening. There's been no specific "threat of closure" reported, but if it's impossible to book tickets, one has to wonder what is happening?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi all, just to clarify...

The Caminito won't close.... The job to run it was put out to tender and the Malaga council decided a couple of days ago who won the project.... There were 8 companies who put in a tender and the winner put over 300,000 euros a year as its offer.... Sando (the company that did the restoration work also put in a tender but a lot lower at 200 odd thousand euros a year....

The contract for the winner will be for 4 years so this means that Malaga council will get paid 1.2 million euros in revenue...

The online booking system is presumably being upgraded to accept payments (10 euros per person). I was told yesterday by Malaga council that it will open soon...

Permissions over the last few months have been relatively easy to get as all one needs to do is go directly to the town councils of Alora or Ardales and not the online booking system. Or, of course stay in a local hotel... There is also a company called Aloratour that arrange guided visits... the guides are quite good actually and you get to learn quite a lot more about the history etc than walking it solo....

I post regular news at www.caminodelrey.es

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks for that, and well done! I have not seen it reported anywhere else that you can get tickets from the local councils. Of course, this isn't much use to tourists who don't know the areas, or who are not staying nearby.
I never actually thought that it would close, but the lack of information from official sources is astounding. The online booking system needs upgrading - obviously to accept payments, but the existing website is pretty poor overall for a world class international attraction anyway. And as the clock ticks down to hand-over, the company that has the contract must be pretty confident that they won't need advance bookings. At the moment, unless someone stumbles upon this thread, or your website, they could be forgiven for thinking that after the end of this month, it's all over! Why on earth is there not some announcement about a new website or booking procedure "coming soon" on the existing booking page? Incredible. If I was paying €300k for the contract, I'd want it broadcast from the mountaintops!
Only in Spain! :silent:

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:59 am

Hi, in the Frequent questions bit on the website there is this..... The actual website is not badly put together really and all the info is there in Spanish and English.... the big issue is with the booking portal and the lack of information given out by the Malaga council.....

[quote]
How can I book the ticket?

You can only book your tickets through the web page at ‘Book your visit’ section,, which is managed by the County Council of Málaga.

Nevertheless, the Town Councils of Álora and Ardales can provide you with the tickets as well, as the path goes through their terrain. If you are interested in obtaining the tickets this way, please get in touch with these town halls through the telephone numbers or e-mails provided below, and get informed about the places where the tickets can be obtained.

- Álora, +34 952 496100 / 951 062136 ([email protected])
- Ardales, +34 952 458046 ([email protected])
What kind of tickets can be booked?

Only one kind. You can book individual tickets (one responsible person and four people more).[/quote]

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:01 am

wildside thanks for that...

regards.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 am

Well done again for spotting that! I still feel it would not have taken a huge stroke of genius to put that information on the actual booking page. That's the page most people are going to go straight to, rather than trawl through all the details. I have heard so many people moaning about the impossibility of booking tickets. I guess they (the council) didn't really care, since they were fully booked & weren't charging anyway, but at least while it was free, I imagine there were a lot of no-shows. Obviously, all this will change shortly...

On a side note, I noticed that you mention on your website about the possibility of walking as far as (just before) the exit check point and turning round to walk back to your start point. When I first went last year it was possible, but when I went in January this year it was strictly one-way traffic (from Ardales) and someone who tried turning around got stopped by the staff and made to continue in the southerly direction. Of course, this may change again with the new company taking over.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks for that extra info, I'll update the pages... I have wallked the path 8 times since it opened (last time last week) and I turned around 5 times previously without issue at the suspension bridge.... I have a feeling that this not turning around business is a way to get people to pay for the bus to get back to their start point...

Its also ridiculous to have closed the el Chorro entrance but I can't get an answer from anyone at Malaga council as to why or if the new people running it will reopen that access in April...

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:42 am

Personally, I preferred it with one-way walkers only; it avoided awkward passing on some of the narrower sections, and on the few steps. Apart from the easier parking at El Chorro, I imagine most people will prefer walking from the northern entry point anyway (you can of course park at El Chorro and take the bus to the start at Ardales). I'm also puzzled as to why the other access at the northern end, via El Mirador, is not publicized. It's a quicker and easier walk to the entry checkpoint, plus there's free parking up the track past the restaurant.
There was a large group with a guide on it last time I went as well; someone should instruct the guides to only stop their groups for chats where there is plenty of room for others to pass i.e. NOT on narrow sections of the boardwalk. very selfish / annoying!

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:35 am

as it happens I will be in this area in early april, what are the chances of just turning up at ardales? I will be doing alone as herself would not be able to keep balance on a chair...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:56 am

forgot to ask about times?

thanks

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:06 am

The problem at the moment is that the new company is supposed to take over operations from April 1st, but as yet there is absolutely NO information on how to buy tickets. You could take a chance and just turn up. Otherwise...watch this space :roll:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:17 am

ok thanks....

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 am

Update 31st March 2016: The Caminito del Rey is closed for the month of April 2016. This is due to the tardiness of the Diputacion de Malaga (Malaga provincial council) to manage the tender process of the planned handover of the management to a private company.

Tickets during the first year of operation up to the end of March 2016 were released for free online reservation on the official website. The new managing company was announced on the 30th March for a contract due to start on the 1st April 2016 lasting four years. Naturally it will take this company a few weeks to organize staffing and a ticket sales platform. The ticket price will be 10€.

http://www.diariosur.es/interior/201603 ... 24103.html

http://www.diariosur.es/interior/201603 ... 33239.html

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:11 am

Information in English about the new people running the Caminito...
http://www.caminodelrey.es/caminito-del ... e-company/

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 am

A month lost. You couldn't make it up.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:17 am

Shocking :crazy:

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:27 am

Quote Miro

Post by Miro » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Just come back from our second "caminito".
I can confirm that you can park up the track past the Mirador restaurant (for free) and it's an easy downhill 15-20 minute stroll to the access point, even though it's not actually signposted from there. The walk along the river from El Kiosko is perhaps prettier, but a bit harder and takes a good bit longer.

Miro,

I am driving that way Tuesday and I may stop for lunch at the mirador restaurant you mention just to see whats happening.

When I google I get two options...
One in the village on trip advisor...
There is also one by El Churro...

Can you please advise, many thanks me...

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:46 am

Not sure which village you're referring to? I Googled El Mirador restaurant Ardales, but if I try El Chorro instead, I get the same results anyway: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=el+mi ... nt+ardales#

It literally overlooks the reservoir from its perch on the hillside. It's kind of hard to miss (if you're on the right road) - it's directly on top of the short tunnel that the road passes through.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:02 am

Hi,

Directions with map to get to the area can be found here..
http://www.caminodelrey.es/getting-to-e ... o-del-rey/

I have just seen the published distribution of tickets for the coming 4 years which quite frankly is astounding... 36% for local business, 36 percent for agencies and adventure travel guides, 16& for schools, studies etc and a measly 10% available on the online booking system... This will probably mean the the 10 percent will get snapped up in the first few days leaving the same system of using a local bar or hotel to get a permit......

Shot in the foot again.... All the people (mostly Spanish) in the local area that want to do the Caminito have already done it for free and will probably not return for 10 euros a pop... This means the majority of visitors in the future will be foreign visitors unable to get a reservation without buying stuff in a local business....

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:26 am

i am asking about the one you mentioned in your post in February listed below...
where is this restaurant??

Post by Miro » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Just come back from our second "caminito".
I can confirm that you can park up the track past the Mirador restaurant (for free) and it's an easy downhill 15-20 minute stroll to the access point, even though it's not actually signposted from there. The walk along the river from El Kiosko is perhaps prettier, but a bit harder and takes a good bit longer.