Caminito del Rey

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
jimmy7
Tourist

Re: Caminito del Rey

Postby jimmy7 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:55 pm

My wife and two friends had a booking today 25/05/2016 for 13:30 We parked at the El Mirador car park (2 euros) arrived an hour early at the north entrance and went straight in no problems.
Walk took just over two hours and the scenery is spectacular well worth the 10euros, no real scary bits, and nobody to hurry you along so you can go at your own pace. There are a few monitors along the route at strategic points ( identified by black helmets) to ensure the safety rules. The new walkways are above the old decrepit concrete walkways most of the way.

The bus back from El Chorro did not stop at El Mirador but at the El Kiosko restuarant.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed May 25, 2016 11:07 pm

The bus will stop at Mirador if you ask the driver to - it's a request stop, if you don't tell the driver you want to stop there, he won't know.
Where did you park? Over the road in the leisure park area? Up the track past el Mirador was free when I went.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 26, 2016 7:27 am

We also went yesterday.
Parked, for free, up the track past el Mirador. Not a lot of parking space but we were the only car there.
Easy downhill walk on a wide smooth track to the start.
Asked the bus driver to stop at El Mirador which he did.
Walking up the track to the car another car stopped and asked us where they could park/ get the start of the walk.
I said if they would give us a lift to our car they could park where I parked. :thumbup:
It was about 1:00PM and I was the only car parked there.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Gerry is it shady on the walk? Just thinking about how hot it is in the sun for walking now.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Some parts may be shady, but it's damned hot anyway. We went this time last year and it was up to 40' (much hotter than on the coast). Take LOTS of water - MINIMUM 2 litres per person, I would say.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Wicksey wrote:Gerry is it shady on the walk? Just thinking about how hot it is in the sun for walking now.
We went for a 10:30 AM start.
Some parts in full sun, some parts shady.
Finished the walk at about 12:30 before it started to get hot.
Probably very hot on a summer's afternoon.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri May 27, 2016 10:26 am

Maybe we'll leave it until the winter!