Alora by train

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Alora by train

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 pm

We are thinking of going to Alora by cercania train from Plaza Mayor and wondered if it's a scenic journey. Is the town centre easy to reach from the station and can anyone recommend any places we can have a bite to eat?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Alora by train

Postby masterob » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi. The train journey to Alora isn't anything special, the more attractive scenery is beyond Alora on the way to El Chorro but the Cercanias doesn't go that far. The station is located at the bottom of a long steep hill. I wouldn't recommend walking as there is no pavement for the majority of the distance. However there is a bus that meets the train M-F.
There are plenty of bars etc to have a bite to eat.

P.S I assume you are aware that the Cercanias from Plaza Mayor doesn't go to Alora, you have to change at Victoria Kent.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:57 pm

That's very useful to know .... thanks. I don't fancy the hill climb up into the town, and waiting for the bus will take more time when we thought we could just spend an hour or so in the town and then return by train.
I have been to El Chorro in the past and we did drive into Alora but it was many years ago and I don't remember very much about it. Are any of the other towns en route worth stopping at (Pizarra?). We may end up just staying in Plaza Mayor.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:43 am

Pizzara probably has less than Alora to offer for a tourist (the station is fairly close to the centre though!). My suggestion would be to take the MD train from Malaga MZ to somewhere like Ronda. It takes the same route as the Cercanias but goes onwards via El Chorro, Bobadilla to Ronda. Departs Malaga 10.05 and arrives in Ronda 11.56. Returns from Ronda at 16.50 arriving Malaga 18.30.

A pleasant trip - take a look at the Renfe web site to confirm the above times www.renfe.com

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:51 am

You don't have to wait for the bus, it will be waiting outside the station.
We did the trip from Malaga quite a few years ago but to be honest it hardly seemed worth it. Once you get off the bus in Alora there is not much to see and every street seems to have at least a 1 in 4 incline.Then to cap it all we returned to the station only to find that the Cercanias workers had decided to go on strike. We sat for over 3 hours waiting for the train back to Malaga. :lolno:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks for your responses, I am glad I asked! The Ronda trip is one that I have wanted to try for a while and seems 'do-able' in a day too.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:00 pm

We, and a few friends, got the Cercanias train to Alora some years ago.
We got off the train, had a look around the station area and by the time we looked for the road up to Alora all the other passengers had disappeared.
We looked at each other and, without discussion just got back on the train for the return journey :wave:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:05 pm

We went to Bricomart and then had lunch in Plaza Mayor in the end :thumbup:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 am

You should do the Ronda trip Wicksey. It is wonderful. I took my Spanish History group there a few months ago and the train ride after Alora is fabulous. Train is at 10.05 from Malaga and it goes past El Chorro you will be able to see the new walkway that has been repaired and at Bobadilla it back tracks and you puff up to Ronda. The views all the way up are wonderful. Costs about 15 euros return and takes about two hours. Well worth it.

Ooops just edited as had four fabulouse´s in it!!! but that should tell you how wonderful it is!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by patricia on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 pm

I'd second the Ronda trip recommendation and if you have a Tarjeta Dorada you get your 40% discount on the trip.
Tip..........do NOT try to take photos out of the train window as you go through El Chorro unless your timing is better than mine.........all I got was a few reflections of my image or, even worse, lovely images of the tunnel walls :sick:

Even the Spaniards were cracking up at my incompetence :cry:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Masterob- or anyone who might advise - would it be a good idea for my grandson and his friend to take the train from Malaga to El Chorro when they do their Caminito del Rey walk? We are a fair distance away, anyway, in Canillas de Aceituno so maybe better just to drive all the way?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Yes Irene all you do is step out of the train and you are there and also a few cafes to eat etc. Short walk to the start of the Caminito del Rey from the station.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 am

Brilliant - thanks so much, Patricia.