UK Car Hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Parilla
Resident

UK Car Hire

Postby Parilla » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Anyone out there a regular car hirer back in the UK ?

I'm not, donkey's years since I've done it and I'm way out of touch.

I can't understand the massive price differences company to company - quotes for 5 day hire, same car plus Zero excess supplement, from £324 down to £108.

Any advice, or recommendations appreciated.

Parilla

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Car Hire

Postby costakid » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:36 pm

avoid the big boys like Hertz.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:34 pm

I hired a car from Budget (Avis?) in June this year at Gatwick 5 day hire at about 100 pounds for a Golf (upgrade no extra cost)plus extra 27 pounds for extra insurance. Booked and paid with a debit card:)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 am

costakid wrote:avoid the big boys like Hertz.
I booked Hertz through Holidayautos for the summer (June 2015) and got a car with one way (into Stansted and out of Gatwick) for 4 days for 78 pounds which I didn't think was bad. No added extras to pay on top of that .... they offer them but I refuse and always take out my own independent car hire insurance. I found that the later I left booking it (ie nearer to my departure date) the cheaper the cars got.

Look at the ts and cs to see what is included and their fuel policy (I go for full/full). I prefer car hire companies that are on site but unfortunately at Stansted they have all been moved off site so you now have to catch a bus to the car hire offices which I hate. I have booked through Easyjet in the past when I've flown with them and their prices were comparable. Cheapest isn't always best.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:44 am

For my recent visit to the UK I tried to avoid Hertz and the big boys and booked a car with someone else.
About 2 weeks before my holiday noticed the the Hertz price had dropped to much lower than the company I was with. So I cancelled the booking and booked via Hertz.
Got a free upgrade and a practically new car and first class, hassle free service from Hertz.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Changing the subject only slightly, what are the UK requirements for a driving licence when hiring a car? In the past I had a UK licence which was no problem, of course, but will they now accept my Spanish licence? I will ask them but if someone on here knows that'll help.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Actually, I've probably just answered my own question :clap: 'cos I found this on the holidayautos.com site:

If your licence is not in the Roman alphabet (i.e. Arabic, Greek, Russian or Chinese) you need to bring an international driver's licence and your domestic licence.

So a Spanish one will be OK
nil illegitimum carborundum

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Not sure what they mean by "an international driver's licence and your domestic licence."
I only have, and needed, my Spanish issued driving licence when I hired a car in the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:41 am

I said avoid the big boys like Hertz as I have always found them to be very expensive especially if you just turn up. I guess pre booked they have to be competitive.

I have never hired in the UK but it sounds like things have changed from the rip off old days.

Girlingfoss
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Girlingfoss » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:29 pm

This year when I went to the UK I used auto europe, which came up with hertz at a very good price,
no hassle, I used my amex card to cover cdw etc. Was very pleased with Hertz.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I use EuropCar The green one) through EasyJet and I'm sure there are cheaper cars and easier ways to hire but I can't be bothered to work it out. I always use the full cover and the full/full fuel option. I've been using EuropCar for years and I always get a good car, with upgrade, and they don't bat an eyelid if I have a few scratches on return. My Spanish licence is accepted without comment, of course. :thumbup: