Gran Canaria

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Manchesteral
Resident

Gran Canaria

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Off to Gran Canaria tomorrow, see if I can find a flat to rent.

Gasman
Resident

Re: Gran Canaria

Postby Gasman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:22 pm

So, what did you find, and where abouts are you looking on the island?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:22 pm

disappointed when we went there.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 am

Well, it's real cheap, I'm staying in the LasCanteras area of Las Palma's, the capital, some of it's a bit shabby but other parts of it are quite nice, I arrive on Wednesday and it's rained 3 days out of 5 but to be fair many of the locals are telling me it's one off and they haven't seen weather like this for years, the jury's still out and I'm still thinking about it.
one thing, Canadians seem to be on the surface more relaxed than the mainland Spaniards, nicer if you like, that's just my initial view!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:10 am

costakid wrote:disappointed when we went there.
Where did you go? I have stayed in Telde near the east coast a couple of times and although it does look scruffy in parts the island really grew on me. The north and inland areas are beautiful with dramatic scenery.

I don't believe the Canarians think of themselves as Spanish .... they are a race apart! Their music is certainly a lot more tuneful than the flamenco wailing we get here :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzVFmONyAg

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:26 am

Maspalomas area.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:20 pm

costakid wrote:Maspalomas area.
Perhaps you didn't get the chance to explore and see the real Gran Canaria ..... if that sort of thing interests you. Otherwise it's a bit like staying in any big tourist area. Of the south coast resorts I really liked Puerto Mogan - very pretty and small with a sandy beach and a harbour/marina area, although I only visited in passing and stopped for lunch. There may not be much to do if you're there for a 2 week holiday for instance.
Manchesteral wrote:Well, it's real cheap, I'm staying in the LasCanteras area of Las Palma's, the capital, some of it's a bit shabby but other parts of it are quite nice, I arrive on Wednesday and it's rained 3 days out of 5 but to be fair many of the locals are telling me it's one off and they haven't seen weather like this for years, the jury's still out and I'm still thinking about it.
one thing, Canadians seem to be on the surface more relaxed than the mainland Spaniards, nicer if you like, that's just my initial view!
I stayed there with a German couple who had a friend from Las Palmas staying with them. He said that it is often cloudy and/or rainy in the capital. It seems to catch the bad weather up there and in the winter I think it is prone to cloud, the same as northern Tenerife is. Have you got a hire car?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:23 pm

I have been to three, Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Lanzarote. Disliked them all. The only positive they have is the weather.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 pm

Each to their own, Katy. It's the wild interior of the islands I really like, not the usual tourist spots.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Wicksey, That is exactly what we like. We never had a car as I had forgot my licence. It felt bit like a concrete jungle. Shame really as we never went back.

We drive around 5000 miles a year touring mainland Spain and love get into the back of beyond.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 am

Costakid Vueling go to the Canaries now from Malaga and are generally cheap so that's our latest favourite place to go. Well worth a few days away to explore. We only go for about 4 nights as we have difficulty getting cat-sitters, but always get loads done in that time.

A photo of the wilder side of GC.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:53 am

Looks amazing. Will have to give it another go.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:30 am

Cousins Daughter and Husband bought a restaurant/night spot on La Gomera. Despite advice from everyone not to do it. They lasted about a year! Apparently it is a popular Island for walkers especially from Germany. Plenty of wild and wonderful places in the world without choosing the Canaries. I would never go again. Three strikes and they are out for me :mrgreen:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:25 pm

I suppose it depends on whatever floats your boat, I've travelled pretty extensively in the last 30 years and I like most of the places I've been, but, to be honest I'n a bit fed up of long haul and the Spanish culture suits me so I'm still considering my options, G C would probably suit me thuogh, time will tell.

Alford

Postby Alford » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:27 am

Gran Canaria is lovely Island in the Atlantic Ocean and offer calling views for travelers to go there and have fun in ideal surroundings. I love to go there and spend some time there. Its white-sand beaches attract my attention toward this region again and again to have fun with my wife.