Sherry Triangle

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
andalucia
Site Admin

Sherry Triangle

Postby andalucia » Fri May 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi
We are visiting next week
We would like to, pack in as much as possible and only have 3 days
We visited last year and went to the Bodegas in Jerez so would like to visit the others in the triangle. We would like to experience local culture could you recommend good Sherry bars, Tapas or anything else. We will have no car and will rely on trains and buses.
I would value your thoughts
Debbie

(message sent to Andalucia.com website and posted here in the hopes that forum members can help)

andalucia
Site Admin

Re: Sherry Triangle

Postby andalucia » Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 pm

In Jerez we list these bars
http://www.andalucia.com/cities/jerez/bars.htm

In Puerto de Santa Maria we would recomend the Osborne Bodega and new Toro gallery.
http://www.andalucia.com/province/cadiz ... a/home.htm

In Sanlucar we would recomend the restaurants over looking Bajo de Guia beach and the river.
http://www.andalucia.com/province/cadiz ... r/home.htm
http://www.andalucia.com/beaches/sanlucar-barrameda.htm
Recommended seafood restaurants include Casa Bigote, located on the waterfront at Bajo de Guía and well known for its succulent prawns and delicious paella. Other excellent seafood restaurants include Arante Claro and Casa Juan. There are lots of café and bar choices around Plaza del Cabildo, including Casa Balbino for seafood tapas.

This forum thread discusses bodegas
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35604

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri May 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Debbie,
Of course it is a great idea to do your homework when visiting new places and being armed with the recommendations of others you should really enjoy your visit.
However may I suggest that you also 'Walk on the Wildside' and stroll down the narrow winding streets and ally's that you find everywhere in Spain,you will probably find characterful little bars untouched by tourism and see, smell and taste 'Real Spain'.

You will be enchanted and enthralled and take with you many memories that you will always have in your hearts and minds...

And may I wish a really enjoyable holiday..

Regards,
Gordon

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri May 13, 2016 5:20 pm

I live near El Puerto and took two visitors to Osbourne's tour this week. To be honest not much to it if you've seen a bodega before. They describe how they keep the building cool/warm and how they age and blend. Then they move on to brandy. Then they pump the many brands (food and drink) they own. The tasting is ok but you can only drink so much and we all (three) thought the Oloroso was rubbish. However the Cream and Fino staggeringly good. But you can try a much bigger range (only offered 4 types on the tour) in the bars (just look for the barrels) and you don't get herded through the shop after.

Price was 12 Euros each so no complaint on that count.

Train from Jerez or Seville is easy and frequent (in Spanish terms) to El Puerto. In El Puerto go see the bullring, church with storks, castle and market (if not Sunday). From El Puerto to Cadiz is by boat (20 mins across the bay) or train (see salt marshes and outside beach).

We saw the Queen Mary 2. First of the giants to visit for years following dredging. But there are often cruise ships (and several being refurbed) so always something interesting to see in the harbour. Cadiz old town can just be wandered and there are more bars and restaurants then I can count. Quite nice it is squeezed on the virtual island as everything is close with dozens of narrow streets.

And I'd get to Sanlucar. A longish bus ride but worth the trip. Very poor in parts but the square, castle and view across to Donana make it worthwhile.

All three I'd do as Benidorm suggests as some bars, restaurants, etc. are changing hands frequently so unless the recommendation is recent it might not be worth much. And there are real gems to be found.

But hope you enjoy yourselves whatever you do and now the weather has at last dried up you will get some sun.

El raton de watford