Cruise Liner

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
truebrit
Resident

Cruise Liner

Postby truebrit » Fri May 27, 2016 5:21 pm

The worlds largest cruise liner Harmony of the Seas will be docking in Malaga on Friday 3rd June from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm. Said to be quite a sight if any one is interested.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cruise Liner

Postby El Cid » Fri May 27, 2016 7:28 pm

From recent reports, it seems like it is not much more than a floating building site. It will probably run out of fuel before it gets to Málaga.

Still, what can you expect from the French!

Vote Frexit!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Looks awful. There has been demos when it was docked in Southampton due to environmental concerns. A floating nightmare.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 pm

Deleted as I made an error
Last edited by gerryh on Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Harris

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm

In Cadiz, 2 weeks ago following recent dredging the Queen Mary 2 visited. Looked great and the send off with tugs pumping water high in the air as a salute made it seem like a bit of history.

And the good news here is that a study is being undertaken to see if Cadiz can be used as a base and not just a stop over. With spare capacity at Jerez airport and trains direct from the airport to the dock it could be really good for jobs. Already the port has a good cruize ship refurb business with recently 4 ships in at the same time.
El raton de watford

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 pm

Queen Mary is ok. Never seems crowded but it doesn't have the razzmatazz of kids roundabouts, huge slides hung in the air etc.

My ideal is less than a 1000 pax, preferably adult only. Something like Windstar luxury line. Imagine 6500 boarding at Malaga or the same number going ashore on some previously idyllic Caribbean paradise. Would turn everywhere into Benidorm.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 28, 2016 7:22 am

I personally don't like Cruise ship holidays and if I was going to go on a cruise I would choose a small ship, but maybe I'm being influenced by my involvement with the 'Lakonia' tragedy... :think:
But that is my own personal view and I wish anyone who is going on a cruise a good time...

Still worth going to watch it leaving the port..though.... :wave:

Regards,
Gordon

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 28, 2016 9:14 am

I'm with you on that. A cruise just fills me with dread. We have many friends whose holidays are always on cruises and they swear by them, so there must be something in it. I just can't get my head around this "dining at the captains table" lark, I'd rather have a table for 2 with no bu5ger giving me their life story. I've heard the comment that they are floating cities, I suppose I'd rather just be in a static city I guess............I feel awful as OH keeps on saying she wants to do a cruise, so I will have to give in one day, and may find my current thoughts are wrong.

Back to Malaga, we were there last month for a 4 day visit and at that time there were 7 ships in. Couldn't believe how busy that made Malaga Centro. Trying to view the Picasso museum or any of the "must sees" was impossible and the mule trains of tourists following someone with a placard was incredible. All great for Malaga and the economy though, it was thriving and vibrant!

That said I agree with the above comments. One day we just sat at the end bar on the "pier" with the buckets of beer they do and watched one ship disembark, the biggest boat there at the time seemed to be one called Celebrity something or other, it looked like a massive block of flats with 20 stories.
We decided to have late lunch at the Spanish restaurant next to that bar the same day (best oxtail dish I've had in Spain by the way) and it was comical. A big gang of Americans on the next table all talking over one another to prove who'd been the most successful in life :mrgreen:
We thought they were all bosom buddies until 2 couples drank up and said they were walking back to the ship which was leaving in 45 minutes.
Hugs, kisses and promises of meeting up on board ensued...........then as soon as they were 20 paces away the knives came out, they were called not fit to burn, in a big way :lol: Mrs and I were choking with laughter at it.

Never thought it was my cup of tea but it was a cracking day just chilling at the port, and very interesting.
Oh, and I drooled at the luxury yatcht for sale, only 22.5 million euros hahaha. An art-deco furnished floating palace called "La Sultana".
Beni, google that "yacht", with your background I think you may find its history very interesting. I certainly did!

Viva Malaga!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 am

"Imagine 6500 boarding at Malaga"

is this the person capacity of this tug?

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat May 28, 2016 9:50 am

DA,
Thanks for the link and that is my idea of going on a cruise, pure luxury.
We actually had a group photo taken on the jetty with the 'La Sultana' in the background, we were on a bus trip with our village pensioners.. :oops:
Anyway who knows if I win the big lottery I might put a bid in to buy her, and of course I would invite you and Mrs.Advocate for a sea trip.. :lol:

Have a Good Weekend,
Regards,
Gordon.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 28, 2016 10:05 am

I like cruising, on the right ship. Good value for money, excellent service, room cleaned twice a day, 24 hour room service etc. It is a good way to suss out places you would like to revisit. We always have a table for two now although we are still in touch with a couple from Arizona who we met on QM2. They spent a few days with us when they visited London and we did the same in Arizona. Years ago a table for eight or ten used to be good fun but not the same now, different sort of people or we are. Ha ha.
Our best cruise was on the Nile, always planned to do it again but doubt if that will be possible in our lifetime.

DA you might like a river cruise in Europe a new city every morning. Viking are very good.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 28, 2016 10:08 am

wollie wrote:"Imagine 6500 boarding at Malaga"

is this the person capacity of this tug?
Yes, plus a few thousand crew :shock: saw some photos in the Mail, looks horrific.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 28, 2016 10:12 am

Nice one Beni!! Yep, the star of the port for me, probably why we used the restaurant facing it :mrgreen: You have a goodun too.

PS, The old Spanish navy vessel moored close by, do you know if that is still in active service? We saw them lowering the flags in the evening etc. and blokes seemed to be living on it.
I couldn't decide whether it was operational or a museum piece, I asked one Spanish bloke and he just said "no theyyyyyy" :lol:

Katy, what's with all this "I doubt it in our lifetime" lark? Get it done girl. Bags of time to sort it :thumbup:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 28, 2016 10:20 am

It's Egypt though...may never get back. Ha ha.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 28, 2016 10:24 am

Ah yes, see what you mean Katy, wasn't on the wavelength there. Shame, we loved a trip to Morocco every few visits but again it's simply not worth the risks to my mind.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 28, 2016 1:06 pm

gerryh wrote:It's docked in Malaga before, so not it's first time.
When it first docked in Malaga they weren't allowing anybody into the port area, unless you had a booking.
These large cruise liners aren't much to see from the outside, it's when you are on them you can appreciate the space and facilities like full size theatres, ice skating rinks etc.
Been on two of the "next size down" ships from RCL fleet.
Hoping to go on a cruise again next year for our 50th wedding anniversary.
Cheers
Gerry
So when did it dock in Malaga? Its only 2 weeks old. Your confused I think.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Agreed. It only left the ship builders dock at St Nazaire a couple of weeks ago en route to Southampton.

I think Gerry must be referring to one of its (huge) sister ships.

It will be based in Barcelona for the summer season doing cruises around the Med.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 28, 2016 4:56 pm

We were in Malaga for a few nights sept/Oct 2014 and what was reported to be the biggest cruise ship in the world at that time was moored up. Oasis of the seas was the vessel.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Yes, that is a sister ship, just a few feet shorter.

Whatever one personally feels about cruising, judging by the proliferation of these huge vessels, plenty of people do like it.

I can't say I would wish to cruise on such a monster, but I would like to spend a day or so just looking at the engineering involved.

Apparently the three propellers are 20ft across and driven electrically from the huge generators installed - it does not have conventional "engines".

The bad news is that it burns heavy fuel oil, which releases huge amounts of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere equivalent to 373 million cars.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat May 28, 2016 5:40 pm

I echo what you say there Sid.